Category Archives: Red Tower

September Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

07 September2022, Time: 1931

Notes submitted by Baronessa Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Master Mathias Blackett called the September meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Lady Raven Helmsplitter, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Raven read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Seneschal, (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)

  • Nikoslav has received the refunded deposit for our meeting site and is working on getting the check to Justina to deposit into the baronial account
  • I am still working on getting info about the art space site as a potential alternate A&S or project night site
  • The September meeting schedule has been posted to our FB group:
    • Tonight – Baronial Business meeting (virtual)
    • 9/14 – Project night (virtual)
    • 9/21 – A&S night Building scrolls (virtual)
    • 9/28 – Dance night (in person – yay!)
  • We are looking for bids for Midwinter A&S (Saturday, 2/4/2023). Please contact Their Excellencies or the seneschal if interested or if you have questions
  • As a Barony, we are required to submit a bid for one KLE each year. As of now, the following 2023 KLEs have not had any bids submitted:
    • War College (1/27-29/2023)
    • MCA (2/24-26/2023)
    • Spring Coronation (3/31 – 4/2/2023)
    • Artsy Crown (5/26-29/2023 – Memorial Day weekend)

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)     

  • Nothing to report.

Knight Marshal (Lord Erikr Palsson)

  • We won’t be having practice the weekend of Red Tower.
    • Not planning on bringing loaner gear, but I will be bringing authorization paperwork.
  • I will be looking to see if there is interest in a substitute marshal the weekend of MGT, I know our 2 regular knights aren’t attending so one of them may fill in for me.

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Red Tower!  Thanks to Baron Piers for taking on the Rapier Marshal position for RT, and thanks to Master Ximon for helping him out (I understand they are collaborating so both can participate.).
  • Castle Wars!  Plans are underway for a Friday night fundraiser tourney as well as Saturday melee activities.  WooHoo!
  • Practices continue, Sunday afternoons and Tuesday evenings, which leads to…
    • My work is increasing again for the fall season.  I’ll need help making sure that practices have adequate marshaling and gear management.  Please contact me if you would like to help cover when my slack butt can’t be there.

Live Weapons (Master Mathias Blackett)

  • August practice changed locations due to the site hosts needing to prep for Dragon*con.
  • We held practice at my house in Lawrenceville; we held 2 archery classes, practiced with an atlatl, and recorded 2 TWICs.
  • Additionally, Roís O’Shannon completed the Reaper Challenge, shooting 100 arrows every day for 100 days.
  • Archery at Red Tower is looking like it’s a go.
  • Practice for this month may not happen, stay tuned!

Reeve (La Magnifica Justina di Silvestri)

  • Our bank account as of Sept is $6,761.64
  • Storage has been paid for September but they are raising the price again so next month it is a $583 payment, which is $117 more than last month, making our cost difference from the beginning of the year up by $234 per month.
  • We now have a PO Box:
    • P.O. Box 681863
    • Marietta, GA 30068
  • So moving forward, mailed-in reservations or necessary public addresses can go through there. I’ll be checking it on Fridays

Quartermaster (Mistress Isabetta de San Marco

  • Nothing to report.

Chatelaine (Lord Ogata Tarō Hiroyuki)

  • I would like to give a shout-out to our lovely scribes and calligraphers who helped make the August scribal night happen. I’m sorry I couldn’t be there in person, but I’m really happy that our newcomers had a chance to deepen their connection to the scribal arts
  • So, thank you immensely to…Sunneva, Aelia, Myeong Su Daegam, Lorenzo, and Emelina
  • Y’all rock!

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Nothing new currently.  
  • Waiting on a response from AWA to confirm our table still.

Arts & Sciences (HE Rhiannon verch Madyn)

  • Not much to report this month. 
  • I wanted to thank everyone for filling in the Baronial A&S tracking spreadsheet or sending me the info when the sheet does not behave. 
  • We’re finishing up the details for the first Baroness’s Challenge to be announced at Red Tower and run for the first time at Castle Wars. After it’s announced in Court, I’ll post all the details to the FB page.

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • Class this month will be virtual on September 21st at 8:00 PM. It will be Building Scrolls with Hlāford Bran Mydwynter from Atlantia. 
  • Class for October will be a Theodosia Colloquia (Ted Talk) hosted by La Magnifica Justina Di Silvestri. Come out and share your knowledge!
  • Red Tower Notes:
    • The overall schedule is being finalized and will be published soon. We’ve got a lot of great classes, so I hope everyone is excited! Thanks to Lord Aelfric for organizing the classes for Red Tower.
    • Still looking for some spots to fill for various jobs for Red Tower, so if you’re interested, please let me or Isabella know!

Chronicler (Baronessa Aelia Bassina)

  • May have a new deputy, woohoo!
  • Nothing else to report.

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr & Lady Agnes Halydaye

  • Business as usual with Social Media. We have social media, we gain a few friends and got some engagement on posts!
  • For those who love the numbers:
    • Facebook page reached 831 people and 503 engagements. 12 new followers
    • The Facebook group got 2 new members
    • Instagram gained 27 new followers. A lovely boost from our demo at the lag and shout-out on their IG.
    • Twitter remains the same.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai & Lily of South Downs)

  • Nothing to report for this month except in that in a month or two when the kingdom office changes over, he will not be able to continue his role. I will be stepping into his role. This means that Lily will be stepping up as the Baronial DEI officer. We’ll make an official announcement when the change happens.
  • Will be looking into quiet space for Red Tower.
  • Lord Red is teaching a DEI class at Red Tower.

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna)

  • Nothing to report.

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • The schedule for Red Tower 2022 has been decided. Myndee (Deputy MoC) and Lex (our guest teacher) are going to be helping me all day. 
  • The classes are going to be:
    • Morning: The Story of the Moon Festival and Intro to Chinese Characters and Basic Paper Lanterns – Pretty and Practical
    • Afternoon: Lion Dance Intro: The Magic of Luck, Lore, and Noise and Knot So Lucky – Intro to Chinese knots
  • We’ve already started purchasing supplies and will send receipts to Justina as soon as we have them all.

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • I don’t have a huge amount of stuff to report. We’ve been busy preparing for Red Tower.
  • Wistric will be joining later, he’s catching up on work.
  • The Order of the Swift’s Heart. Please fill out your ballot. Remember this is a work in progress. We appreciate the enthusiasm. 
    • The very first medallion is being worked, it will be very beautiful!
  • Veronica is our new Baronial Scroll Boss. YAY! I know she’s going to do an amazing job!
  • We are so excited about Red Tower. We’re working hard to keep up with all of you planning this. We need retainers, a link will go out soon. 
  • We might need a helping hand with Carver during court. We would be willing to pay for a camp sitter!
  • The person doing the class this class is my apprentice brother! The most recent scroll he created was a bronze age mirror for someone with that persona and a bass scroll. It was quite cool.
  • Keep on being awesome!

SCA Business

  • Master Mathias
    • For those who remember Wulfstan and Thorkatla’s reign, there were two scoundrels that acted up during their reign. We are looking for people. Please let me know if you are interested in helping out.
  • Lord Ogata Tarō Hiroyuki
    • Vices & Virtue
      • Mistress Veronica was inducted into the Order of the Bough.
      • Lola authorized for rapier
      • Captian Pietro won the Patience & Wrath sword and dagger tournament.
  • Red Tower Notes:
    • Daegam Soong Myeong-Su
      • The overall schedule is being finalized and will be published soon. We’ve got a lot of great classes, so I hope everyone is excited! Thanks to Lord Aelfric for organizing the classes for Red Tower.
      • Still looking for some spots to fill for various jobs for Red Tower, so if you’re interested, please let me or Isabella know!
      • Feastcrat is looking for servers
      • We are still looking for help with Royal Lunch.
      • We need help with setting up and tear down. 
      • I will talk to Margavati about the quiet space
      • If you pre-reg you get a cabin! It’s cabins only, no camping.
      • We have a port-a-potty company
      • Shout out to Mirghred for the traveler’s fare. Shout out to Ogata for the feast. Owl’s Nest will be doing a fundraiser lunch.
  • Castle Wars
    • Baron Piers Simmons
      • We need a pottycrat
      • Our pre-reg will be open soon
      • The roses have contacted me and they would like to do a fundraiser Friday Night Fight. It’s a single-elimination event. With your donation for Breast Cancer, you get a second life.
      • If you have questions, let me know.
    • Seong Myeong Su – Will there be encampments?
      • Yes. We are trying to use a similar map as we did last time.
  • Seong Myeong Su – I made Their Majesties Trimeris coronation garb.

Non-SCA Business

  • None

The business meeting was closed @ 2011

The next business meeting will be held on 05 October 2022, 1930, Zoom Meeting.

August Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

03 August 2022, Time: 19

Notes submitted by Baronessa Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Lady Bú called the August meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Lady Raven Helmsplitter, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Raven read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Seneschal, (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)

  • In-person meeting space has been secured through the end of November (available dates in December run up against the end-of-year holidays, so we didn’t reserve any dates in December (yet). Stay tuned as we announce the upcoming monthly schedules.
    • The original security deposit for our meeting space is being returned to Nik as he is no longer seneschal. We should have that back in the next 2-4 weeks. We paid a new security deposit when I set myself up as the new contact with Parks & Recreation.
    •  Looking into using the art space next door for potential project night or A&S classes, in addition to our regular meeting space
  • We are looking for bids for Midwinter A&S (Saturday, 4 February 2023). Note: kingdom calendar has the entire weekend reserved for Midwinter, in case a bid wanted to propose a weekend event.
  • Outstanding Kingdom Level Events in 2023 that need bids
    • War College (Jan 27 – 29)
    • MCA (Feb 24-26)
    • Spring Coronation (March 31 – April 2)
    • Artsy Crown (Memorial Day Weekend)

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)     

  • It’s that time to tell me any heraldry stuff you’ve been up to. May, June, and July are covered in this report! Thank you to everyone who has been in touch so far!

Knight Marshal (Lord Erikr Palsson)

  • There will be practice this weekend.

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • His Excellency & I have discussed making Tuesday evening practices “official” again starting in August. The website still shows it on the practice schedule, so all that would be left is to start posting about it and making sure that the appropriate marshals are on hand. We’re pretty much ramped up for it on the rapier side of things, and in unofficial get-togethers, we’ve learned some things and developed some questions.
    • The park added electrical service along the side of the field, and we’ve been able to put our own lighting in for safe visibility. Expanding the light kit is not difficult if we need a bigger space.
    • The park doesn’t simply close at 9 pm anymore (We always thought it did). We aren’t limited to a 2-hour block.
    • The plan is to begin (from the rapier side) on August 9 (I’ll be at Pennsic that week, but His Exc will marshal that evening)
    • Is there interest in a Tuesday evening practice on the armored side?  Do we have an available marshal?
  • Red Tower
    • Odds are that I will not be available for Red Tower.  Master Ximon will be our RMiC.  Currently seeking a MoL.
  • Castle Wars
    • I am planning to be the RMiC for CW.  Plans are underway to hold a Rose Tourney on Friday evening (Rapier & Heavy).  Further details to follow.

Live Weapons (Master Mathias Blackett)

  • Live weapons report (because I’m at Pennsic): practice was able to happen thanks to Ælfric and Roís. We had lots of people at practice. The next LW practice is scheduled for August 28th.
  • While wandering the merchants at Pennsic, I found a used atlatl set for a steal. So we will be able to add atlatl to Live Weapons practice!

Reeve (La Magnifica Justina di Silvestri)

  • Our bank account balance as of July 31, is $9,002.64
  • Expenses in July: $1,503.43
    • Printing for RUM $37.43
    • Deposit for Castle Wars $250
    • Meeting space August-November $750
    • August storage $466.00
  • RUM
    • 101 Preregistrations (not counting 9 comped)
    • 87 at the door
    • 197 total (including comped)
    • We still need to do the final paperwork with expenses, but my math is we have a total income of $1,874.84, and our share is $937.42
  • Requesting motion to baronial vote on a PO Box maintained by the exchequer for the Barony: est  cost $212/yr
    • Passed
  • Red Tower:
    • Online reservation is in the works
    • To secure a weekend spot, an online reservation is strongly encouraged

Quartermaster (Mistress Isabetta de San Marco

  • Nothing to report.

Chatelaine (Lord Ogata Tarō Hiroyuki)

  • New wardrobes in Gold Key courtesy of Ælfric Hort and Sabine de Seint Clear
    • Unisex medium Japanese
    • Girls’ small tunics
    • Women’s medium bodices
  • Our demo at the LAG in Underground Atlanta went beautifully! I can let Bu take point on her Demo Deputy report, and I want to drive home how much of an MVP she was through the whole thing

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • We had a great demo at LAG ATL. Looking forward to future demos at their events. 
  • Currently looking for someone to take part in a demo at a school in January or February. More updates on upcoming demos soon!
    • May be during the week (school day)

Arts & Sciences (HE Rhiannon verch Madyn)

  • As always I want to remind everyone to please record A&S activities on our Baronial A&S Spreadsheet. You can find it by clicking the A&S tab (not the dropdowns, just the tab itself). This takes you to the A&S site for the Barony and has a couple of spots to click for the spreadsheet. I will be sending over an edit soon to the Webminister to update the page.
  • Now for the fun! Her Excellency and I are creating a new A&S competition to be held at Baronial events. It will be called “The Baroness’s Challenge”. We will be coming up with ideas for categories that tie into the theme of the event. I’m hoping it will spark some creative fun and of course, there will be prizes.  The official announcement for the competitions will be announced at Red Tower with the first competition to be held at Castle Wars. I’m looking forward to seeing the different kinds of A&S projects the populace of Meridies brings to the competition.
  • Link to Baronial A&S Spreadsheet

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • Virtual class night on August 24 will be on Honor with Baron Wistric.
  • Next month, the class will also be virtual on Thursday, Sept. 22 – Building Scrolls by Hlāford Bran Mydwynter from Atlantia.
  • Also, we’re currently seeking classes for Red Tower this year and will soon put out a call for classes at Castle Wars too. Come teach us cool things!

Chronicler (Baronessa Aelia Bassina)

  • Still in need of a deputy. If you know anyone who may be interested, please direct them to me.

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr & Lady Agnes Halydaye

  • We have social media.
  • Created a couple of official events from our page: one for DEI meeting and one for the demo at the LAG.
  • We’ve gained 3 Instagram followers, and 7 new FB group members. We are started to inch our way to 1,000 in that group!

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai & Lily of South Downs)

  • No DEI this month due to being booked up and Pennsic.
  • Next month will be about Feast accessibility or Middle Eastern Calligraphy

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna)

  • Created Castle Wars Website

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing to report

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • Thank you to everybody who helped make RUM a huge success! We’re looking forward to Red Tower next month and if you can contribute with setup or takedown for the event or a troll shift, please do so.
  • Drix, of Calontir Trim, has designed some custom trim for South Downs and is soliciting pre-orders. It is verrrrrah nice. (see pictures)
    • He needs pre-orders of at least 300 yards to make it happen, and we are currently up to 225 yards of pre-orders. The price is $3/yd – or $2.50 if we get to 500 yards worth of pre-orders. 
    • There’s a post on the baronial Facebook group which I bumped (link is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/baronyofsouthdowns/posts/5114757841891368/ ) where you should go comment how many yards you’d like.
    • Her Excellency and I have pre-ordered some for use as favors and/or to mark loaner garb (including belts), but the barony may want to order some as well.
  • We’re in need of new business cards to hand out at demos, fighter practices, and wherever else we may encounter potential recruits. I posted the designs for the new cards in the baronial fb group. 
    • The idea is to print 1,000 of general use, and 500 for officers.
    • The current design is ready to go in VistaPrint, and will cost approximately $125 with shipping, handling, and taxes. I may be able to get the cards printed by Office Depot or Staples for as little as $80, I’m still looking into how good I can get them looking from those services. I’m requesting baronial approval to spend up to $130.
      • Passed
  • We have been gifted his collection of books from 30+ years. I will be bringing them to the in-person meeting on the 17th. They are free to a good home.
  • Swift’s Heart announcement: 

SCA Business

  • Red Tower – Isabella & Myeong Su
    • SCARs and Pre-reg should be up by the end of the week. If you want a cabin with your friends, everyone should pre-reg together so you can be grouped together.
      • No tent camping on site
    • We are still looking for people to do foodstuff: breakfast, travelers fare, and royal luncheon.
    • We need another List Master. If you are interested, please let me know.
    • We will also need a field steward.
    • We are still accepting prizes for the gift baskets. At court, you will have a chance to will cool prizes.
    • We will also be having a silent auction. Please donate so we can raise funds for the baronial storage unit.
    • We need more merchants for Red Tower.
  • Castle Wars – Piers
    • We have a couple of jobs open: Dep Merchantcrat (great opportunity to learn something new) and we also need a Pottycrat.
    • It will be called “Castle Wars: Battle Across Time”
    • No breakfast or traveler’s fare, only feast
  • Scroll Boss – Aelia
    • The baronial scroll cases are getting rather thin. If you would like to contribute, we would love to have you. If you have any questions, please let me know.
    • The in-person event for the barony on August 17th will be a scriptorium. So please come out and play with paints!

Non-SCA Business

  • None

The business meeting was closed @ 2042

The next business meeting will be held on 08 September 2022, 1930, Zoom Meeting.

November 2020 Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

04 November 2020, Time: 1931

Notes submitted by Lady Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

THL Lucien d’Artois called the November meeting to order. Our Seneschal, THL Juliane de Vivonne, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Juliane read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Welcome and it’s nice to see everyone still here!

Officers Reports

Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)

  • Nothing to report.

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • Nothing to report as normal.
  • Crown List will probably be in early February. 

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Nothing to report.

Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)

  • Nothing to report.

Reeve (Mistress Alessandra Giovanna Fioravanti)

  • We have money still.   
  • Storage unit is paid up through the end of the year.

Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)

  • Repeat info about the storage unit.

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz), Finnvarr mac Branain reporting

  • Not a lot to report.
  • We have two new people!

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Nothing new.

Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)

  • No class this month because of Thanksgiving. 

Chronicler (Lady Aelia Bassina)

  • Nothing new to report
  • I will be getting with the Reeve to arrange a time to drop off a check from the fund raiser. So far, we are up to $200!

Social Media Minister (HE Emelina le Nourreys)

  • We have 8 more followers on Instagram, 7 on FB, and there are interesting things happening in the Kingdom with the Burial Effigies.

Webminister (Captain Pietro di Conti)

  • Update to WordPress v5.5.3.  An earlier WordPress update locked out some logins; if you have a login that doesn’t work, a password recovery should fix it.
  • Eastern Regional Webminister has asked us to provide an admin account to be used by the “Kingdom Web Team”.  I have pushed back on this request as it is contrary to good security practice.
  • Eastern Regional Webminister has asked for officers to make sure they set up their kingdom email account (most have, only a few haven’t).  They would like to make the kingdom email accounts the only “official” officer email accounts.  I mentioned to him we thought the email addresses were too cryptic.  He talked about it with the Kingdom Webminister and they aren’t willing to change them.
  • He also would like us to migrate to the kingdom web server, but I don’t have the energy to start a project like that now.  He did offer advice and help on doing it.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai)

  • We’ve had a lot of classes. Thank you to everyone that enjoyed it. 
  • This month we will be doing a class on accessibility. I’ll post information about it when I have it. 

Her Excellency, Mistress Sunneva de Cleia

  • I don’t have much, I’m tired like everyone else!
  • Thank you for being the best barony. Talking to you all for the past months has been amazing.
  • Keep remembering to reach out and take time out if you need it.
  • I want to remind people to write letters. Write about things that are good. It helps when you are an officer and you get something good into your inbox. With November and Thanksgiving it’s the perfect opportunity.
  • There are some awards that are traditional awards for this Barony. We have had a committee going all summer to work on those awards to see if we need any changes. The process is taking a little longer than expected. We will get there when we get there.
  • Baronial Largess Challenge: 

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing to report

Seneschal, (THL Juliane de Vivonne)

  • First thing, we are still looking for a Provost. It’s a great entry level position. Kal has helped out a lot. If you’re interested, please contact me. 
  • If you have not logged into your kingdom email, they know and they send me emails. Please log in. I know who you are. Let me know if you lost your password.
  • I clarified to see if we needed to move to the kingdom web server. It is required. But, it will get done when it gets done.

Upcoming Events

  • Virtual Castle Wars: The Red Tower – 20-22 November 2020

SCA Business

  • Castle Wars
    • It’s been a challenge because people are tired. We are organized by a committee. We are looking for graphics. We are two weeks out now. I’ve announced a couple of competitions. We are trying to find alternative things instead of sitting in zoom meetings all day. If you know of any heavy fighters that might be interested in doing something, let me know. I have ideas.
    • We need zoom classes.
    • Question was posed about live zooming in a kitchen.
    • We will have a scriptorium
    • There will be a social (Justina). I like the unofficial Meridian Revel format. One thing that we have done in the past is historically accurate cosplay. I’ve been wanting to do something with the children, like tea with Disney Princesses.
    • Onesie party?
    • If anyone is interested in doing a daytime social, Her Excellency does a brunch. 
  • Midwinter (Online)
    • Do we want to have it and who wants to organize it?
    • Please think about it and let me know.
    • We need to check with TRM and the Kingdom A&S.
    • We will table this idea and think about it.
  • Next Wednesday is project night! Starts around 7-7:30.
  • There are a lot of A&S classes out there. I’ll gather information so let me (Ximon) know if you are interested.

Business meeting was closed at 2015.

Next business meeting will be held 02 December 2020, 1900, Zoom Meeting.

JUNE 2020 Baronial Business MEeting MInutes

3 June 2020, 7:30pm
Virtual meeting on Zoom

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Zombie Chronicler.

As our Herald, THL Lucien, was unable to attend tonight’s meeting, Lady Mairghread stepped in and called the meeting to order. THL Juliane, our Seneschal sez “Welcome!” and reminded everyone that the meeting was being recorded, per Kingdom law. She then read the Bullying and Harrassment statement from the SCA. She also offered that she (and Their Excellencies and the Baronial Officers) understands how everyone is under a lot of stress, and to please reach out if you need anything.

Our Social Media officer, THL Emelina, read out a disclaimer for everyone to be aware of and agree to, that our business meetings are being recorded and that by participating in this meeting, we have given our consent to have footage containing our faces and/or comments used by the Barony and the Kingdom as necessary.

Officer Reports

  • Armored Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)
    • We are still in a holding pattern regarding practices.
    • Her quarterly report has been sent in. There were very slim numbers for the quarter, and she is expecting even slimmer numbers for the coming quarter, due to the adjusted schedule posted by the Crown.
    • Discussed Baron Mark’s thoughts about what fighter practice might look like once we *do* get back, as he had posted on Facebook recently.
      • Sir Iastreb commented that we will likely have to revisit where we hold Sunday practice, at the Meadery in Smyrna – it will be difficult to manage crowds and safety issues
      • Juliane commented that the owners of the Meadery have not been really hip on wearing masks, for performance reasons, which conflicts with SCA safety rules.
  • Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan deHay)
    • Due to the current cancellation of practices and events, we are also in a holding pattern until things get going again
    • In the meantime, stay tuned – we are working on getting some online rapier activity going soon – discussions, classes, etc. Will post about these events on the Atlanta SCA fighting Facebook group.
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
    • Nothing to report
  • Reeve (Mistress Alessandra Fioravanti)
    • We have money!
    • She reminded everyone that she is looking for a deputy – her job is not that difficult, and she is willing to show anyone who’s interested what the job is like. Please contact her if you would like more information.
  • Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz)
    • So far, the only new person who’s actually come to a meeting and interacted and stuff is Jay, who we all know now is awesome. I’ve had a couple other nibbles but no bites yet.
    • Nikon and Majda Anwar have talked about doing maybe a rolling mini-class for newcomers that just covers handy entry-level information – perhaps a 30 minute class once a week for 4 weeks that starts over every month, covers basic newcomer info like what all the titles mean, first event essentials list, getting started with a persona, things like that. Just very surface level, 101 stuff.
      However, we haven’t really started working on it yet because *gestures at everything*.
  • Minister of Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)
    • We have art! (and some science as well)
    • Alisandre has posted some virtual A&S opportunities in the Baronial Facebook group; and asked the populace to please let her know if they learn of any additional online opportunities (classes, events, etc) so she can share it with the Barony
    • Check out the classes being offered at Virtual RUM (Royal Academy of Meridies) this July, and ongoing classes at the Honorable Clover on Facebook.
    • Working cool projects? New projects? while everyone’s staying at home? Post your work on the Baronial Facebook page so we can all ooh and ahh and ask questions!
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • We have words!
    • Lady Aelia Bassina of Veii will step up at the July meeting! Yay!
    • Aelia addressed the populace – as the incoming Chronicler, she would like to (re)start our newsletter and asked for suggestions:
      • For the title – everyone still likes the old title, “The Read Tower,” so it was decided that would remain.
      • With the development of our social media team, everything that has been posted on our Instagram page already has release forms, so that material will be available.
      • She is interested in showing the progression of the newsletter through the ages.
  • Keeper of the Baronial Memes (Minister of Social Media) (THL Emelina le Nourreys)
    • We have been posting on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
      • We now have more than 250 follows on Instagram
      • Emelina is encouraging the populace to share the the cool projects they’re working on at home – please take pictures of your project work and send them to her so they can share on our Instagram page
    • Our smash-up video (a fighter’s version of the glow-up video idea) got over a million views! It was awesome, and Emelina and Isabelle thanked Ogata (Charlie) for editing the video.
    • Ogata confirmed that his friends wrote the music for the video, and everyone asked to have our thanks passed along to them.
    • There was a lot of discussion about what everyone’s favorite parts of the video were – there were many!
    • HRM has asked us to write up more award recommendations.
  • Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)
    • Nothing to report
    • Magistra Alessandra mentioned that her daughter, Katie, would like there to be more members of the Sparrow’s Wing (the Baronial children’s award) so she can hold order meetings. Currently, she is the only member and attendee, but more cupcakes are required.
    • Alessandra suggested that a blog could be set up on the Baronial website where parents could brag about their kids’ art and projects.
  • Their Excellencies South Downs (Master Wistric Oftun and Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • Sunneva wanted to discuss the new diversity statement posted by the Board of Directors. If you haven’t read it, please make sure you do.
    • In-person events have been canceled up through 31 August 2020, but in the meantime, she loves seeing everyone virtually.
    • Wistric thanked everyone who participated in the smash-up video – it was awesome!
    • Also – taking part in activities such as the video, online classes, and other online activities is a good way to help keep our energy up as both a Barony and as individuals.
    • He reiterated the importance of writing recommendations for people who have shown themselves deserving of recognition, and mentioned that TRH are planning to have a virtual Court sometime in the next couple of weeks and would love the opportunity to recognize people.
    • There are a couple of months left where we are going to be limited to online activities, and there is a lot of space to fill on our virtual calendar. If you’re considering teaching a class sometime, practicing teaching via Zoom on the local level is a great way to work through your class before Virtual RUM.
    • Their Excellencies thanked everyone for being amazing during these trying times.
    • Recently, Emelina posted a “Draw the Faces of Their Excellencies” on Facebook; our cousins in the Midrealm saw this and put a challenge out to their Barony to one-up us!
  • Seneschal (THL Juliane de Vivonne)
    • She mentioned recent news from the Crown – Coronation will be held online on Saturday, 27 July, and will be set up just like the online courts
    • Events are canceled through the end of August
    • Red Tower – There are concerns about planning, given the current situation – will it happen? can it happen? in what format? These are still being worked through and the answers will likely change as the pandemic continues, so we’ll need to stay flexible.
    • The Kingdom Exchequer notified us that our financial policy is not aligned with that of the Kingdom; Juliane and Alessandra are working through this to fix the discrepancies.
    • Juliane asked and will continue to ask on Facebook for any topics the populace would like to add to the meeting agendas.
    • She also thanked Their Excellencies for their imaginative approach to keeping interest and energy up in the Barony (the Draw the Faces game was great!)

SCA Business

  • Red Tower (2-4 October 2020)
    • Site: Hard Labor Creek State Park, Rutledge, GA
    • Mistress Mariana confirmed that event planning is proceeding as normal until told otherwise. A request for event volunteers will be posted soon.
  • Castle Wars (19-22 November 2020)
    • Site: Camp Benjamin Hawkins, Byron, GA
    • Juliane had mentioned that Isabetta is going to take the lead on Castle Wars autocratting because of Juliane’s conflicts of interest as seneschal. Juliane is holding off submitting the bid for the time being until she can see how the next couple of months are going to look like.
    • Sunneva mentioned contingency planning will be key; and as Sunneva happened to have written a book on contingency planning, is more than happy to help brainstorm.
    • Sunneva also asked about the timeframe for submitting the event bid – it is her understanding that if we don’t get a bid in soon, we’ll have to cancel?
    • Juliane asked Alessandra about the Baronial budget – if we don’t have Castle Wars, how will the Barony stand financially? What will the impact be? Alessandra said we should still be in good shape as most of our other expenses (other than the storage unit at $860 per quarter and the Zoom fees at $14.99 per month) have also gone away.
  • Midwinter Arts & Sciences (6 February 2021)
    • Site: TBD
    • We should start thinking about this event – we need an autocrat.

Other SCA Business

  • Mairghread mentioned virtual RUM/Fighter’s Collegium (17 July 2020) is looking for teachers, not sure what format. If interested in teaching for Fighters Collegium, please contact her or Master Edward.
  • Emelina mentioned that we now have a Baronial YouTube channel, and we can post class videos there.
  • Justina mentioned that this coming weekend is Court, and she is looking forward to hosting another virtual revel afterwards. She’ll post to the Baronial Facebook group once she’s got everything set up.
  • Sir Iastreb announced we have new people in the Barony – Anya from Thor’s Mountain has just moved to South Downs! She can’t make meetings yet because of classes but she is looking forward to getting involved soon. Master Ximon added that we should keep an eye out for new people and reach out to them so they feel welcome.
  • Lily thanked Alessandra for showing her how to be a reeve.

Non-SCA Business

  • None

Next business meeting: Wednesday, 1 July 2020. It will likely still be online via Zoom, but stay tuned!

With my backlog of minutes now done, I am now officially handing over the reins of the Office of the Chronicler to Lady Aelia. Thank you, everyone!
–Lady Raven

MAY 2020 Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

6 May 2020, 7:30pm
Virtual meeting on Zoom

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Zombie Chronicler.

As our Herald, THL Lucien, was unable to attend tonight’s meeting, Lady Mairghread stepped in and called the meeting to order. THL Juliane, our Seneschal sez “Welcome!” and discussed the new Zoom meeting format – in particular, she would like to have everyone make sure they keep themselves on mute until you have something to say. She also walked everyone through the Zoom meeting features, including the “raise hand” feature which marks that you wish to speak.

Our Social Media officer, THL Emelina, read out a disclaimer for everyone to be aware of and agree to, that our business meetings are being recorded and that by participating in this meeting, we have given our consent to have footage containing our faces and/or comments used by the Barony and the Kingdom as necessary.

Officer Reports

  • Armored Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)
    • We are still in a holding pattern regarding practices
    • The armored marshals report is due on 15 May – it will be a slim report (as there have been few events or practices) but she will get it sent in and forward a copy to the Seneschal late next week.
  • Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan deHay)
    • Due to the current cancellation of practices and events, we are also in a holding pattern until things get going again
    • In the meantime, stay tuned – we are working on getting some online rapier activity going soon – discussions, classes, etc. Will post about these events on the Atlanta SCA fighting Facebook group.
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
    • Nothing to report
  • Reeve (Mistress Alessandra Fioravanti)
    • We have money, but we’re not spending any of it as there’s nothing to spend it on right now (except for the storage unit).
  • Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz)
    • We were going to have a couple of newcomers join the meeting tonight, but they ended up not being able to. We hope they can join us for future meetings.
    • Kingdom chatelaine has requested another Gold Key (loaner garb for new people to borrow at events) inventory; Nikon is planning to pick up some additional garb and will take care of inventory once that’s done.
  • Minister of Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)
    • Alisandre has posted some virtual A&S opportunities in the Baronial Facebook group; and asked the populace to please let her know if they learn of any additional online opportunities (classes, events, etc) so she can share it with the Barony
    • She spoke with Their Excellencies and now would like to ask the populace if there would be any interest in a Porch Fairy exchange (like a Secret Santa in quarantine); everyone thought it would be a great idea!
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • We have words!
    • We have a new Chronicler in the works! Lady Aelia Bassina of Veii will step up sometime soon (probably July)
  • Keeper of the Baronial Memes (Minister of Social Media) (THL Emelina le Nourreys)
    • We have been posting on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
      • We now have more than 250 follows on Instagram
      • Emelina is encouraging the populace to share the the cool projects they’re working on at home – please take pictures of your project work and send them to her so they can share on our Instagram page
    • There is a Baronial glow-up video in the works – there will be more info once we have the Baronial YouTube channel set up
      • Glow up videos are videos which start with one person doing some every day activity, then they have a scarf (or something similar) thrown at them from off-screen. Person 1 picks up the scarf, approaches the camera, holds the scarf up to the camera to blot out the scene, then when the scarf is pulled away, Person 1 is dressed up and doing something cool and finally tosses the scarf out of frame. This is then repeated over again with a new scene, and Person 2 catching the scarf, etc.
      • In our video, we would have each person/group start out in modern clothes and relaxing, then be revealed in their SCA garb, and a setting or doing an SCA activity for a couple of moments.
      • All submitted videos will be compiled into a single video which we will post on our YouTube channel.
  • Their Excellencies South Downs (Master Wistric Oftun and Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • Carver misses everyone!
    • Sunneva wanted to discuss how appreciative they are of everyone in the Barony and everything we are doing to support each other. In addition to doing a porch fairy project as Alisandre had described, if you’d like to get a missive from her, she will gladly send you mail – just PM her your mailing address. If you know of someone who’s not online, please consider sending them mail or connecting with them somehow.
    • Finally – if you know anyone who needs help, from communicating to food to whatever please contact Their Excellencies.
  • Seneschal (THL Juliane de Vivonne)
    • She mentioned recent news from the Crown – as Coronation had been canceled, TRM Boru and Fianna have been given permission to extend their reign until the end of May.
    • Red Tower has a bid from Mariana and Farouq; finance committee has approved the bid, and we’ll vote on it in May
    • Zoom meetings – how does everyone feel about meeting via Zoom? It is admittedly a strange format for the structure of our organization as there is a lot we do that is not really Zoom-compatible. What do we want to do with the off-nights?
      • Margavati is willing to host a dance night via Zoom, but she’ll need to figure out how the logistics first
      • Alessandra is willing to send people goldwork supplies and host a gold work class for project night (or A+S class night?)
      • How many classes are Zoom-compatible?
      • Aelia would like to know if a kids’ Zoom event could be set up? Her daughter misses everyone. Una thinks this would be a great idea! Justina wanted to know if this would be an adults’ welcome to support, etc.
        • Alessandra mentioned that after a full day of working with the kids online, she would like to see something done that is low-parental activity – maybe something like a kids’ “happy hour”?
        • It doesn’t need to be on Wednesdays – Allesandra mentioned that Gwinnett County doesn’t have classes on Fridays, so Thursday would allow them to stay up a little later.
      • Charlie suggested that he’s been working on a project that is currently fighter-oriented but could have other applications – a choose your own duel/adventure game he’s been developing
      • Justina mentioned that the online revel she hosted last week was successful, and that we could do similar events for the Barony. She found that conversational games gave everyone an opportunity to participate.
      • Baronial Zoom games night!
      • Improv theatre night?
      • Wistric suggested that there are probably classes that have been taught in the past that would be transferable to a Zoom format

SCA Business

  • Margavati is organizing a baronial Glow up video and would love to have as many people as possible participating. Deadline is Sunday for your video. Instructions are posted on the Baronial Facebook site. Justina mentioned that the Courtesans’ Guild is doing a “Pass the Veil” challenge along the same lines.
  • Red Tower
    • Mistress Mariana and Lord Faruq would be co-autocrats
    • Site will be Hard Labor Creek State Park (our traditional Red Tower site)
    • Theme will be Elizabethan, Sinners and Saints
    • We can use martial budget to pay for things like tourney prizes, etc.
    • Quest during the day to find the seven graces and sins
    • Do we have a contingency if we are still under lockdown?
      • It would likely then be canceled, but Mariana mentioned that the schools are planning to get back in September. Would the park allow for a return of the deposit if it came to that?
      • The seneschal would be the one who handles the deposit and would be the one to negotiate the return if necessary.
      • Andreva suggested that if we contact them early enough, they might be willing to roll over the deposit to the next year.
      • Justina mentioned that even if the government calls for everything to open, that doesn’t mean that people will want to go to an event yet.
      • Should we budget for additional cleaning/sanitizing materials? Alessandra points out that *if* we can get additional sanitizing stuff, as cleaning supplies are hard to find right now.
      • We should proceed with Red Tower assuming it will happen, but be prepared that it might be canceled.
    • Sidebar – financial committee needs to clarify what the current rules are regarding who gets in free at events?
      • Voted and passed
  • Alessandra is looking for a deputy! It’s not hard – you just have to know how to count (sort of)
  • Margavati will host another Indian/South Asian online social in the next couple of weeks. Emelina offered to advertise it on the kingdom page
  • Justina brought up our presence at DragonCon.
    • She said that (assuming it happens) we have the opportunity to host a panel; however, she is not comfortable with attending herself this year, given the current state of the pandemic. Is this something we want to pursue this year? She needs to let the coordinator know asap and preserve the connection for next year.
    • Juliane said she has passes for this year, but already knows she will not be going.
    • Maybe virtual panels? It will be important to keep the door open for next year
    • Given the number of people in our Barony who are already hesitant to attend DragonCon, it doesn’t look like we would even have the staff to cover in-person tables/panels: however, we could easily manage virtual panels.

Non-SCA Business

  • Sir Iastreb’s robotics students put together a video for a competition – please view and vote for them! The winner goes to nationals.
  • Finnbarr – Is there anything we can do as a Barony to help those who can’t get out or can’t find things when they go shopping? Wistric suggested that Finnbarr should post this in the baronial Facebook group. We definitely don’t want to see anyone going without or going hungry. Iazzie said that this sort of outreach is perfectly in keeping with the SCA’s goal of outreach, etc. so he is sure there would be no conflict.
  • Aelia offered that she has a 100lb bag of bread flour – if you want some, just PM her.
  • “New Jay” (as opposed to Captain Pietro) mentioned that stores are hiring extra security to guard some of the more sought-after items.
  • Sawyer made a bunch of 3d printed disks if anyone wants them

Next business meeting: Wednesday, 3 June 2020. It will likely still be online via Zoom, but stay tuned!

May 2019 Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

1 May 2019, 7:30pm

Meeting site for May (temporary) Forest Fleming Arena – 3037 Pleasant Valley Dr, Doraville, GA 30340

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.

THL Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order. Our Seneschal, THL Mark de Wytteney, sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”

Sir Iastreb introduced a newcomer to the meeting – this meeting was Rachel’s first SCA experience, so Mark gave her a quick summary of what was going on at the meeting.

Officers Reports

  • Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • Awards at Coronation (6 April 2019):
      • THL Lucien d’Artois – Burning Trumpet
      • THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chiarain – Argent Comet
      • Captain Nikoslav Mikolaevich – Master of Defense
      • Mistress Mara Palmer – Sable Quill
      • Lady Justina di Silvestri – Order of the Velvet Owl
    • Awards at Fools’ War (20 April 2019):
      • Agnes Halydaye – Meridian Cross
      • THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chiarain – Argent Comet
  • Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)
    • Mairghread announced that her marshal warrant expires in July, and although she has two deputies, they don’t come to meetings often. She said she is willing to continue serving as Knight Marshal and have her warrant renewed if the populace would like her to continue doing so.
    • Mark asked if she might want to get a deputy that would be interested in stepping up eventually. As Lord Nikon walked in, he was “nominated.”
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • Weather is improving, so practices are more frequent and back at Liane Levetan/Brook Run Park. Practices continue to take place on Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons, weather and event schedules permitting.
    • There have been anywhere from three to 15 people showing up at any given practice.
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
    • Mara described that Live Weapons in the SCA include target archery and thrown weapons (knives, axes, etc. that are also thrown at targets.
    • Mara said that practices have been going well – they’ve been able to hold two Royal Rounds at practices.
    • She mentioned that she is running low on loaner arrows; given that she still has available funds in her budget, she will move forward with purchasing additional arrows.
    • With the large number of children who have been attending practices, she will need to add to the supply of child-sized bows. Everyone was pleased with the enthusiasm of the participation of the children at these practices.
    • This June marks the second anniversary of the live weapons program in South Downs! Yay!
    • At last June’s (first anniversary) practice, the Baronial Live Weapons Championship was held. She suggested that this championship could be held each June as an annual event.
    • Mara also announced that due to her baby being due in the fall, she will be at Red Tower but not at Castle Wars.
    • South Downs has been asked to help out with live weapons at Arabian Nights in July, hosted by the shire of Arenal.
    • Practices for the next several months have been scheduled and are posted on the South Downs and Owl’s Nest Live Weapons Facebook group. Current averages for Royal Rounds and tassels can also be found here.
    • The live weapons marshallate has been revamped and she is now only one of two marshals in the Barony (the other doesn’t go to meetings).
  • Chatelaine (Lady Justina di Silvestri)
    • In addition to newcomer Rachel, we also had visitors from the Midrealm who were passing through our lands: Lady Aeffe Thorsdottir and Lady Godhit of Cynnabar, who presented Their Excellencies and THL Mark with a penny as a token to allow them to pass through our kingdom
    • Justina welcomed back Owen and Caroline, and welcomed (back) Lady Agnes, who has officially moved back into the Barony. Yay!
    • She also announced she has a new deputy in charge of demos, Bú Feiyan – yay!
    • We (the Barony) have been invited to present panels at DragonCon this year; this would be a great and fun opportunity for us! If you are interested, please contact Justina or Bú (who will follow up with our contacts at DragonCon about this)
    • Mark mentioned that we should try to get involved with some of the events (Lemonade Days, Cherry Blossom Festival, etc.) at the park(s) where we practice to see if we could do demos.
  • Arts & Sciences (Lady Alisandre de la Chapelle)
    • We have A&S in the Barony, and it is good! Yay!
    • Kingdom Arts & Sciences, aka Artsy Crown is coming up! There will be classes to take, and opportunities to teach! The signup sheet is available on the event website. Classes include martial topics, dance, a Courtesans track, and more!
    • Mark has a friend who is interested in teaching a blacksmithing class, perhaps on making tent stakes. This class would need to be offered on a weekend.
    • This month’s baronial A&S class will be a class on the Spanish Inquisition in May, taught by Zhelana Vovkivna, followed in June by a class on the Introduction to Middle English, taught by The Honorable Lady Wenyeva atte grene. This class counts as RUM class HIS-2110, toward the Literature HIS requirement, so if you’re working on getting your RUM credits done, you won’t want to miss this.
    • Thanks to the response from the populace, Baronial Arts & Sciences classes are nearly completely scheduled for 2019, but there’s still opportunities to share you knowledge! If you are interested in teaching a class, please fill out the form or contact Alisandre directly.
  • Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • We have stuff! The Quartermaster manages all the stuff!
    • Lucien started by thanking everyone who helped move to the new storage space and re-inventory everything
    • He will set up a Google doc with a supplies list so anyone who needs to access the baronial supplies for an event will know what is available and can sign out what they need.
    • Mark added that the Minister of Children still has all her supplies and will reinventory her own supplies. She will also be donating wheeled bins that will make things easier at events for the kids’ activities.
    • The Barony has collected a large lost & found inventory over many past events; Lucien will bring it all to the next project night and it will be available to whoever wants the items. There had been discussion about holding a Baronial Yard Sale at an event or practice to sell off the lost and found and excess Gold Key, but there are questions about whether it would be worth it for the group (the Barony or another local group) to run such a yard sale, so we might also just offer it to anyone who wants the items, or donate it to Welcome Home or for kingdom largesse.
    • Juliane offered that she has photos of all the lost & found items, and will post them soon.
  • Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
    • We have money! yay!
    • Coronation was much more profitable than we expected, our profit total was just under $2,000 ($982 went back to Kingdom, and the remaining $982 was deposited to the Baronial bank account)
      • The site was more expensive than others we’ve used, but we over-budgeted on other items so it worked out really well
    • The monthly report is not yet ready, as today is the first of the month
    • Andreva reminded everyone that before an event flyer is submitted to Popular Chivalry (the monthly kingdom newsletter), it needs to go to her and Their Excellencies for approval and to allow Andreva to get PayPal set up for the event.
    • Speaking of PayPal, there will be a class on PayPal offered at Artsy Crown. Anyone who might be interested in running Troll (to run credit cards) and help with reservations needs to take this class.
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • We have a website!
    • Added new page for:
      • Baroness Isabetta de San Marco
    • Updated awards for:
      • Lady Agnes Halydaye
      • Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich
    • Posted change in meeting site for the month of May
  • Minister of Children (Lady Melusine of South Downs, THL Mark de Wytteney reporting)
    • Lady Melusine mentioned she has two deputies, Svala and Una
    • Melusine described how she would like to split children’s activities into two groups, based on age: Melusine would take the older kids (9+ years old), Una taking care of the younger kids (8 and under), and Svala will float between the two groups as needed.
    • She is looking for volunteers to teach classes for the kids at events; she is particularly interested in classes that reflect on the event theme and not just busy work.
    • We have been getting great feedback from people about our children’s activities, and Melusine had been asked to run children’s activities at Fools’ War and Artsy Crown.
    • Bú mentioned that she registered her child in Page School, and suggested that if the classes Melusine wants to offer are approved by the Page School, the children taking the classes will get credit.
  • Chronicler (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)
    • Lady Raven is beginning to work on the next issue of the baronial newsletter, The Read Tower and has received a couple of articles.
      • Raven is always looking for more material – articles, photos, artwork, etc., so if you have something you’d like to contribute, please contact Raven directly.
  • Seneschal (THL Mark de Wytteney)
    • Mark thanked Brendan, Lucien, Lorenzo, Ximon, and everyone who helped with Coronaton and moving all the baronial gear to the new storage unit. Tir Briste was also very thankful for what they did to help set up Fools War.
  • Their Excellencies, Master Wistric and Mistress Sunneva
    • Her Excellency wants to get baronial beautification projects going for upcoming events – projects that will help spiff up the baronial campsite and the baronial (and that of its populace) presence at events.
    • Most of the new baronial silk banners have gone missing – it is most likely that they accidentally got packed in with something else and the person who has them doesn’t realize they have them.Their Excellencies have asked for everyone to go through their camping kits to see if anyone has them. They would love to get them back, please!
    • His Excellency mentioned that are a lot of jobs, in all categories, that need to get done in the barony throughout the year and at events we host; please consider volunteering for even an hour or two if you can. He also noted that it’s been a while since he’s heard Iazzie say “it’s embarrassing!” Find something you find interesting, that you are already participating in, and look into how you can help.
    • Adding on to what His Excellency said, Andreva pointed out that there are people who volunteer for an entire event and who need help covering for things/taking a short break, etc. Taking a few moments, even without “officially volunteering” to check in with those who have been working all day, is greatly appreciated. She said that, for herself, she “goes to ‘my’ events to work, [and] goes to other event to have fun.”

Upcoming Events

  • Red Tower (4-6 October, 2019)
    • Lady Justina and Isabella Parr presented a bid, with an event theme of Labyrinth (with history).
    • Hard Labor Creek State Park has already been booked for the event.
    • They do not yet have a feastcrat lined up yet, so the final costs may varya little depending on the feastcrat. However, feast pays for itself, so any variation should be minor.
    • Breakeven numbers compared to last year’s turnout are pretty close, but there is some wiggle room that would allow us to turn a small profit.
    • Motion to vote made, seconded and voted on with unanimous approval. Yay!
    • For details about the event bid, click here.
  • Castle Wars (21-24 November 2019)
    • Four bids by two parties (each party presented a bid for two different sites options)
      • The Al-Sihah Shriners site, where we’ve held several events over the past couple of years
      • Camp Benjamin Hawkins in Byron, where Coronation and Fools’ War were held this year
    • Andreva mentioned the Shriner site is $2900 (with deposit back), but we need to rent portapotties, ant killers, dumpsters, etc. and totals roughly $5K. People we talk to there are great, but the person who’s been onsite is difficult to work with. When we first started working with the site, it was pretty empty, but over the years they’ve expanded to allow short-term tenants living there (construction workers, etc), which has led to non-event attendees wandering into our campsites.
    • Camp Benjamin Hawkins has offered us a flat rate of $5,000, but portapotties and a lot of other things are included in the price. From what we’ve learned from Coronation and Fools’ War, we may need to rent additional portapotties (as well as reconsider their placement around the site). The site areas are more spread out than the Shriners’ site, and parking is more of an issue at Camp Benjamin Hawkins.
    • The populace was asked to narrow down the submitted bids based on site preference. Camp Benjamin Hawkins was selected by a clear preference.
    • Based on time constraints at the meeting, each event bid will be presented, but discussion will take place online and questions can be taken by email. A final vote on the Castle Wars bid will take place at the June business meeting.
    • Bid #1: Co-autocrats: Baronessa Isabetta de San Marco and Lady Angharat merch Morcant
      • Baronessa Isabetta has autocratted 2 coronations, 3 Meridian Challenge of Arms, and several other events
      • Event theme: The Battle of Agincourt
      • Breakeven numbers are 115 day trip, 200 weekend
      • Proposed feastcrat is Countess Thorkatla
        • Feast will be a traditional above and below the salt, sitdown feast for both
        • Feast will feature French and English dishes, reflecting the theme
        • 3 or 4 courses for each feast, and the menus will be complementary: similar dishes but with more extravagant ingredients for the above the salt feast
        • There will be two kitchen teams, each cooking one feast
      • For further details about the bid, click here
    • Bid #2: Co-autocrats: Baron Piers Simmons and THL Maire Dhocair Inghean Chiarain
      • Event theme: War at the End of Time (Dr. Who)
        • For the armored fighting, this will be represented as Rome vs. Gaul
        • For rapier fighting, this will be represented as France vs. England
        • There has been an offer of having siege engines at the proposed event, depending on approvals from site management
      • Proposed feastcrat is Mistress Marianna Cristina Tirado de Aragon
      • For further details about the bid, click here

Other SCA Business

  • Iazzie put on his hat as Deputy Seneschal for northern Meridies, and announced that there will be an open meeting with the SCA Board of Directors at Black Axe (7-9 June at Dalwhinnie Fields)
  • THL Juliane announced that she will be hosting monthly garb nights at her home on the second Thursday of each month; the first garb night will focus on viking aprons. For further information, please contact her directly.
  • Maire announced that this year’s Knowne World Costume and Fiber Arts Symposium will take place this June at the University of West Georgia. She is serving as class coordinator, and there are still spaces available to teach. Baronessa Isabetta is serving as troll coordinator, and they both encouraged anyone who could to volunteer.

Non-SCA Business

  • THL Andreva has a spring chamber music concert on 3 May in Decatur, 5 May at Northside Drive Baptist Church. The concert will feature music by women composers, and although the program is not entirely period, there will be several pieces by Hildegard of Bingen. Contact her if interested.
  • Master Mathias and Roís O’Shannon will hold their handfasting in 2020 – stay tuned!
  • This month will have a fifth Wednesday – that means, it’s time for another Baronial Fifth Wednesday Potluck! As always, it will be garb-encouraged, but not required. We’ll look into whether we can hold it here at the temporary meeting site.
  • This location will be our meeting site for all our meetings this month, because the Mayor outranks us 😀

 
Next business meeting will be held Wednesday, 5 June 2019, at the Doraville Civic Center.

Thanks!

–Raven

January 2019 Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

2 January 2019, 7:30pm

Doraville Civic Center – 3744 Central Ave., Doraville GA

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.

THL Lucien d’Artois called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”

Baronial Polling Results
HRM Gwenhwyfar announced that after a great turnout with votes and comments from the populace, the new Baron and Baroness South Downs will be Master Wistric Oftun and Mistress Sunneva de Cleia! Huzzah!

Officer Reports

  • Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • Awards – Magna Faire
      • Lady Stella di Silvestri – Order of the Velvet Owl
    • Submissions
      • THL Andreva Rigaldi – device and name change registered Margot de Saint Denis
  • Armored and Youth Marshal (Lady Mairghread)
    • Armored
      • Lord Bram has offered to step up as deputy armored marshal
      • Lady Mairghread will discuss with their new Excellencies how they would like to handle choosing their new rapier and armored Baronial champions
    • Youth
      • Completed reports for the youth program
      • Is working on rewriting the rules for youth rapier
  • Rapier Marshal (Lord Brendan de Hay)
    • We are still holding practices when the weather allows.
    • We are looking for a new site for Tuesday evening practices, given the ongoing problems with lighting at both Blackburn and Brook Run parks.
  • Live Weapons Marshal (Mistress Mara Palmer)
    • December’s practice was rained out
    • Practices through May 2019 have been scheduled and are posted on the South Downs and Owl’s Nest Live Weapons Facebook group
    • Mistress Mara needs to get in touch with anyone who’s earned a tassel, so she can arrange to have the tassels presented in court
    • She also has requested for volunteers to help make tassels for the archers. Instructions are available on the Facebook Live Weapons group; if interested in helping, please contact her directly.
  • Chatelaine (Lady Justina di Silvestri)
    • We’ve had some awesome new people who have recently joined the Barony – welcome!
    • Anachrocon is coming in February! Please stay tuned for updates, but in the meantime, teachers are needed to teach at Anachrocon, if interested, please contact Justina.
  • Arts & Sciences (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)
    • We have A+S in the Barony, and it is good! Yay!
    • Thanks to the response from the populace, Baronial Arts + Sciences classes have been scheduled through July 2019 “because y’all are amazing!” But there’s still opportunities to share you knowledge! If you are interested in teaching a class, please fill out the form or contact Mistress Sunneva directly.
    • Our next A+S class will take place on January 23, when Sir Iastreb will teach the History of Chess; Iazzie described it as more of a survey of the evolution of chess from its earliest historical versions to modern chess as we know it today.
    • Lady Justina will teach February’s class, “Taking a Bite Out of History: Your Ancestors Were Cannibals!” followed by Cellach Ingen Oengusa’s class “Who Was King Arthur, Anyway?” in March, and THL Madalena’s class on making bysockets in April.
  • Reeve (THL Andreva Rigaldi)
    • We have some money! Huzzah! We don’t have specifics yet, as the report just arrived today, so she hasn’t yet had a chance to analyze it.
    • Andreva pointed out that the profits the Barony makes on our big events goes toward paying for the storage unit and meeting site rental fees, and not much more than that. So please consider hosting fundraiser lunches at events, as those profits go towards any other needs and requests for Baronial supplies
    • Gulf Wars is coming! Make sure you designate the Barony of South Downs as your local group when you volunteer – local groups will receive funds based on the number of volunteer hours logged by their members.
  • Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)
    • We have stuff!
    • Lucien thanked everyone who came out on project night to help mark new baronial kitchen supplies, etc.
    • Inventory weekend coming to a weekend near you! Please stay tuned and come and help out!
  • Webminister (Lord Pietro di Conti)
    • We have a website!
    • Worked on disk cleanup
    • Midwinter A+S site updates:
      • Class signup link
      • Fighter practice page – updated live weapons schedule for early 2019
      • Live Weapons marshal page – added links to Meridies archery scores and How to Make Tassels instructions
  • Minister of Children (Lady Myndee of South Downs, THL Mark de Wytteney reporting)
    • Not much has happened in the past month, but Myndee and her deputy have volunteered to run children’s activities at Fools’ War
  • Seneschal (Master Wistric Oftun)
    • Wistric thanked everyone who helped with the Baronial polling
    • We need to find a new meeting site, as the rental rate has been raised from $50/week to $70/week beginning in March 2019. Perhaps we can go to St. Philip’s in Buckhead? But we’re definitely open to new site options.
  • Their Excellencies
    • His Excellency also thanked everyone who helped with the Baronial polling, and is looking forward to the new Baron and Baroness South Downs
    • He then asked if anyone was going to Magna Faire, and what activities they were planning on taking part in – A+S? Fencing? Anything else?

Other SCA Business

  • Midwinter Arts + Sciences (9 February 2019)
    • We’re having an event next month!
    • Classes are coming along
    • Many volunteer positions have been filled, but volunteers are still needed – please contact Lady Alisandre if interested
    • Still looking for a group to host the fundraiser lunch
    • Evening court will be held in the ballroom but we have zero chance of getting in there before 3:00pm, so morning court will take place in the lecture hall
    • We are going to try to have evening court start at 4:30pm because there is a lot that will happen at court and we have a hard out of the site at 6:30pm
    • Now that we know who is being invested as Baron and Baroness South Downs, we can move forward full force with planning the investiture
    • Please pre-register for Midwinter A+S, it will make troll go a lot easier and more quickly
    • Speaking of troll, volunteers are still needed for troll shifts, especially first thing in the morning
    • Regional Fighter Practice – it’s happening (weather permitting)! Will be held Sunday, 10 February 2019, at Brook Run Park (usual practice location and time) We will have signage advertising the Regional at the Midwinter site
    • Inquiries have been made about crash space for Midwinter – Mara will be coordinating, so if you can offer crash space (or know someone who needs it), please contact her directly
    • There is interest in holding a Baronial yard sale, since the Barony has a good amount of stuff we no longer need, and there’s also people who want to donate. We’ll hold it perhaps at Midwinter, the Regional practice, or Fool’s War. There were a lot of ideas offered for the yard sale, and a volunteer to serve as point person was requested. Since Owl’s Nets has expressed interest in helping (as they have stuff to donate as well), it was suggested that Adaire be contacted to organize the yard sale.
    • The Courtesan’s track is still seeking volunteers to teach any of the Courtly Arts, social aspects of court, etc. Family-friendly classes are welcome.
  • Spring Coronation for TRH Sebastiannos and Morgan (5-7 April, 2019)
    • Juliane is going to look at the site this week. The new site, which is also where Fools’ War will be held, sounds really promising. HRH Sebastiannos is really excited about the site.
    • Discreet cigarette smoking is allowed – please religiously police your cigarette butts
    • Dogs are welcome on site (with all required paperwork) – if you bring your dog, please religiously police their butts 😉
    • A lot has already been negotiated with the site, thanks to Fynlo and the Fools’ War team, and the Boy Scouts (who own the site) are really excited about having us (the SCA) use their site in the future
    • Juliane has put a bid together already, and is working through requests from Sebastiannos for feast arrangements. She will discuss these requests with the finance committee to get them implemented.
    • Stunt Bards! (for feast?)
  • Red Tower (4-6 October, 2019)
    • Lady Veronica has volunteered to put together a bid
  • Castle Wars (21-24 November, 2019)
    • THL Piers is interested in autocratting, but has concerns about some issues with the site, including pricing and SERV-Safe certification for kitchen workers.
    • The event site will be the same Boy Scout camp site as Coronation and Fools’ War
  • Anachrocon (15-18 February, 2019)
    • Takes place over Presidents’ Weekend; it does conflict with several events, but we’re looking for volunteers
    • These are our people we just have to draw them in
    • We are seeking teachers for classes – please contact Lady Justina if interested
  • JordanCon (26-28 April, 2019)
    • Fantasy literature convention, in honor of author Robert Jordan
    • Will be held at the Crowne Plaza Atlanta Perimeter at Ravinia
    • Tiff Frankin is point person for Meridies
  • Questions from HRM Gwynhwyfar
    • She wanted, first of all, to let everyone know that HRM Adhemar would have liked to have been at the meeting for the Baronial announcement and thank everyone personally
    • After the meeting, representatives for Meridies will need to come to a final decision about kingdom-wide fundraising for the Knowne Worlde party at Gulf Wars
      • Party theme – Hogwarts! HRM will be Fleur Delacour
      • There will be a fundraiser raffle, and items are being requested for the raffle
      • HRM wants to have an army of dementors, and mentioned something about thousands of glowsticks?

Other SCA Business

  • Mistress Allesandra mentioned that while Midwinter A+S is going on, the populace is welcome to enter the A+S competitions, and “we have like 400 laurels who would love to help you!”
  • Lady Stella is still looking for someone to take over organizing the baronial activity at DragonCon, as she won’t be able to be there for registering our group. Justina reminded us that we’ve been invited by the alternate history track to provide some classes

Non-SCA Business

  • His Excellency, Master Lorenzo, said that a couple of lovely chairs had been left behind at the baronial holiday party. If you left one, please come get it!
  • Dinner – Shaking Crawfish!

Next business meeting will be held Wednesday, 6 February 2019, at the Doraville Civic Center. Happy holidays and a happy new year!

Thanks!

–Raven

October Mini-Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Mini-Meeting

17 October 2018, 7:30pm

Celebrity Guest Meeting Space – Cathedral of St. Philip

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, South Downs Chronicler.

Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois) called the meeting to order. Master Wistric sez “Welcome! If you did not sign in, please sign in!”

Red Tower Post-Mortem

  • Lady Veronica da Lucca and Lord Mark de Wytteney, co-autocrats thanked everyone who worked on Red Tower – the event was awesome!
  • Veronica especially thanked all the staff and volunteers who rocked even in the brutal heat
  • We’ve already booked the site for next year
  • Comments and Observations
    • The people who had said they were going to do Friday night traveler’s fare couldn’t make it at the last minute, and it didn’t get covered in time. We will come up with alternate plans for future events, to make sure such offerings are covered
    • Several people mentioned that we could use more signs for that site (Camp Rutledge at Hard Labor Creek State Park), as they thought they had gotten lost (especially once they got to the unpaved section). “Is that a banjo? No, a hurdy-gurdy. Burma shave.”
    • Having trash cans on the field would be great, but everyone took great care of the lyst field – it was left crazy clean! The park rangers complimented us on how clean we left the site
    • The bathroom staff should be on site as early as possible to double-check the bathrooms and showers, to make sure they are suitably clean and stocked (especially with hand soap and paper towels)
    • Wistric asked if the two portapotties on the lyst field were sufficient – everyone seemed to think they were; perhaps add a hand wash station on the field?
    • Having a checklist for baronial supplies for each bin would make packing up a lot easier. Lucien said he’s already working on it, and the checklists should be ready by Castle Wars
    • It was suggested that Pietro should post the inventory on the baronial website so everyone knows what we have
    • We should make sure we have plenty of propane included
    • Sunday morning – the site closes at 10:00am, so we should have more voice heralds to nudge attendees; we should also announce the closing time more frequently throughout the day and at court
    • An additional checklist should be created for closing up cabins – perhaps posted in each cabin at the beginning of the event
    • Landcrat/crittercrat
      • Wasp spray would be helpful
      • The site should be checked for fire ants (again) before the site opens – there were some problems on the lyst field with them
    • Lots of praise for the live weapons set up – they felt part of the overall fighting, as opposed to isolated from the rest of the action
    • Lots of praise for lots of fighting – fighting all day long, even in the heat
    • Water on the field was handled pretty well, but others mentioned that we should have 3 water barrels per marshal space and one in the hall, as water started to run out on the field
    • Need to work the parking pass situation out – the site balked at the request for 100 parking pass Friday morning, and only gave 50 to the troll on Friday. Perhaps try to acquire them a few days in advance
    • Should we get golf carts for the site?
    • This had been investigated previously for Castle Wars, and the price they got was $1000 to rent a couple of golf carts
    • Ximon suggested that if we paid him $100, he’d happily shuttle people back and forth from the field to the hall
    • The idea of a shuttle person as one of the staff could be a really good idea/alternative to golf carts, actually
    • Bloody Ridge was really happy to have the opportunity to do the fundraiser lunch, but the logistics became difficult because the lunch area was back at the hall and therefore far from the field (where most of the people were). Suggestions were made to have a takeaway option or delivery option to the field? However, unless we run the fundraiser lunch ourselves, we can only make recommendations
    • The Gods Quest was a big success, especially for the kids
    • Her Excellency mentioned that she was also pleased with the set up of archery and live weapons, allowing them to feel much more a part of the overall fighting, and the Gods Quest – it would be great to do a similar quest for future events; having the Quest printed on the event flyers was a great idea
    • Her Excellency suggested that we might want to consider:
      • Having trash bags available at Troll for each cabin to pick up at check in
      • Making sure breakfast was provided to TRHs – their entourage is supposed to be in charge of that
      • Extending a special invitation to Master Evan to bring his book collection to a special scriptoria at a future event
      • Thinking about how to better use our baronial banners
      • Include in event staff dedicated people to help set up and take down baronial and kingdom pavilions
      • Encouraging an A+S class schedule for Red Tower – there were people who chose not to attend because there was a lack of classes
        • Veronica mentioned that there had been an executive decision to focus on fighting, but we also need volunteers to teach classes – please don’t wait for others to set up classes
    • Revel – Veronica thought it went really well, but there was some confusion about whether it was “official.” The alternate, family-friendly revel never really happened, but it was a good idea and should be planned earlier and advertised more to get a good turnout.
    • Minister of Children staff – if anyone is interested in volunteering, it would be a great help to the staff, as the kids groups could then be split up with the two credentialed leaders. Lady Melusine will investigate what (if any) background checks will be necessary for secondary volunteers, and how many credentialed people will be needed per number of volunteers.
    • Feastcrats need to make sure that they have their own supply of dish soap for this site, as it is not provided
    • The Barony has acquired a supply of new dishes and other kitchen supplies that need to be labeled. These will be brought to December’s project night so everything can be properly labeled and added to the inventory
    • Storage load out on Friday went really well. Lucien noted that moving forward, there will no longer be vehicle access to the storage facility, so we should look at cart options (perhaps at Costco?) to help get supplies into and out of the storage unit
    • The Barony is also considering moving to another storage facility, priorities being vehicle access and climate-controlled units
    • The event site has terrible coffee makers; we thought we had Baronial coffee makers, but apparently they died at a previous event. A voice vote was taken to replace the coffee makers (because coffee!)
    • In response to the issues surrounding the 10:00am site closing on Sunday, it was explained that this is because of the ranger schedule
    • Exchequer report:
      • Assuming all numbers are correct, our income was $4,217.98; with expenses totaling $3,166.63, our net profit was $1,051.35.

Castle Wars Business

  • Her Majesty has requested that the White Rose Ball be held at Castle Wars
    • There is some clarification needed about how this will be funded – from the Roses’ budget, or the Castle Wars event budget?
  • Lady Juliane still needs volunteers:
    • A hall steward
    • Someone to run the regular revel
      • Wistric talked to Duke Sinclair of Atlantia about bringing his tavern again to Castle Wars, and if so, we can do the revel there. We still ahve $355 from the Artsy Crown fundraiser lunch for a booze budget
    • For contributions to the volunteer raffle
  • How many war points will there be? Looking at five war points

Other SCA Business

  • Baronial nominations!
    • Piers Simmons nominated Sir Iastreb and THL Mariana
    • Lord Farouq nominated Master Wistric and Mistress Sunneva
    • Duke John nominated THL Lucien and Lady Juliane
  • Iazzie asked if the Barony had spoken to the Crown about the polling process. His Excellency mentioned that we are working under a compressed timeframe now, so we have talked to TRM to move the polling schedule more quickly than usual. It is important that anyone who wants to vote makes certain they have confirmed their ZIP code is within the Baronial boundaries or have otherwise followed the rules to be included in the voting
  • They are currently deciding whether ballots will be mailed or if polling will be at the meeting – it is important that as many people can be reached/included as possible
  • Current timeline includes having the investiture at Midwinter A+S
  • Polling should be mailed in early November, but it will be up to TRM when the decision will be made
  • TRM will ultimately choose whoever they want – this is a polling (where they take into consideration the views of the Baronial populace), not a vote in the usual sense
  • We will hold a Q+A for the candidates during the November business meeting (7 November)

With no other business, Lucien closed the meeting and dinner plans were discussed.

PLEASE NOTE: Next South Downs business meeting will be held Wednesday, 7 November 2018, at the Doraville Civic Center, 3770 Central Avenue, Doraville, GA. We will meet at the usual time, Wednesday 7-9pm.

–Raven