All posts by Chronicler

September 2021 Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

01 September 2021, Time: 1930

Notes submitted by Signora Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Lady Bú Feiyan called the August meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich , greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Nikoslav read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Seneschal, (Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich)

  • Nothing big new.
  • All the stuff for Castle Wars has started.
  • Concerning Red Tower, with the new COVID numbers in mind, I will be making an announcement regarding Red Tower. I will have a final announcement on that by Friday. If you have any input, please let me know.
  • There is a survey that was put out by the Kingdom Seneschal regarding being for or against vaccines for events.

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • We are looking for people to help at Red Tower and Castle Wars with field and site Heraldry. 
  • Congrats to Ælfric on his Meridian Cross.

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • Heavy practices started off strong initially; 12-14 fighters.  After the mask mandate was put back in place our numbers have dropped off considerably.
  • Upcoming practice considerations:
    • 9/5/2021 – Dragon Con – poll yes/no to have practice
    • 9/19/2021 – Red Tower – NO PRACTICE ON SUNDAY
    • 10/3/2021 – Gulf Wars – No practice unless Gulf gets canceled or other Marshal coverage
    • 10/10/2021 – Gulf Wars – No practice unless Gulf gets canceled or other Marshal coverage
    • 10/31/2021 – Coronation – No practice unless other Marshal coverage
  • Heavy combat schedule for Red Tower:
    • 0900-1000   Armor Inspection
    • 1000-1200   Red Tower Tourney (Format – Double Elim)
    • 1200-1300   Lunch
    • 1300-1430   Baroness Prize Tourney (Format – TBD)
    • 1500-1630   9-Lives Charity Tourney (Format – William Marshal)
  • Youth Combat:
    • Div I & II have been suspended until further notice due to skyrocketing COVID rates & lack of vaccination availability in these age divisions.  
    • Div III (14-17 yr olds) can resume fighting but will wear a mask the entire time, on and off the field, along with any adults who are authorized to spar with youth

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Practices have been happening, Sunday afternoons at Liane Levetan Park in Dunwoody, concurrent with Armored fighter practice.  Numbers are low, but understandably so in the current weather and public health environment.
  • Personally, I’m just finishing up a work project that has completely absorbed my time for the last couple of months, and Raven and I are in the process of moving our residence (still in South Downs).  Please bear with me as I re-emerge, but I am still planning on marshaling at Red Tower.  Look for some rapier-related publicity this week.
  • The Nine Lives Tourney, this year to be held at Red Tower does include a rapier list.  Buy some lives, save some cats!

Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)

  • Nothing to report.

Reeve (Mistress Alessandra Giovanna Fioravanti & La Onesta Signore Justina di Silvestri)

  • Insurance for castle wars has been paid

Quartermaster (Master Ximon Martillo de Cordoba

  • Isabetta, Bu, and I went to storage several weeks ago and. Went through and culled out the food and supplies that were out of date. Isabetta graciously has worked to update and reorganize the inventory list and both she and I went to storage last week and performed counts and reorganized the shelves that all of the items were stored at and items are now all grouped by function of use. We do have a few more items that we need to account for, but it’s organized well enough. 
  • We did find that most of the gold key clothing was in cardboard boxes and most were not covered. I would like to ask the barony to review the cost of 6 totes to be purchased.  They are $11.98 each. We also need to purchase a new rolling tote for the Baron pavilion. I’ll get the cost of that later.(thought I had that…?) I know this still has to be approved by the financial committee but the Barony should be aware.

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz)

  • We don’t have much. 
  • The quarterly report is due by the 10th but I’ll have that in plenty of time.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • I am putting a hold on indoor demos until the COVID situation improves. 
  • I would like to have an outdoor demo at the Westside Pop-up in October. (I will need permission from Barony as it will cost $25)

Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)

  • The quarterly Report has been submitted. 
  • Not much else to report.

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • Class this month will be taught with Baroness Emelina with a title TBD
  • We have an opening in October should anyone want to teach next month

Chronicler (Signora Aelia Bassina)

  • Still looking for a deputy. Please let me know if anyone is interested.

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr

  • Created the Red Tower event. Related pre-reg is required and you now can find the URL link either in the about section or by hitting the tickets button on the event page. 
  • We’ve gotten a spam post within the group. The post was swiftly dealt with by our lovely Baroness so Thank you! 😊 After looking into the poster, It was clearly a fake profile that I kicked from the group. Hopefully, that solves everything. If you notice a spam post please feel free to report it and/ or send me a Facebook message. It really doesn’t matter the hour you message me- I keep odd hours 🙂
  • Also, I’m seeking a deputy

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai & Lily of South Downs)

  • This month we will be having a class because it was highly requested, Bystander Intervention on our usual DEI night. It’s a great class at conflict management. 

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna & HE Piers Simmons)

  • Updated Plugins
  • Deleted unused themes 
  • Announced Red Tower pre-reg
  • Updates to Red Tower site

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing report

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • Thank you to everybody who participated in the poll about vaccine policy. Results have been posted to the Baronial Facebook group on the post with the link to the poll. Results have also been sent to the SCA president, Seneschal, and BOD.
  • A very similar poll is up on the kingdom Facebook group and Baronial FB group. Please participate in that one as well so that the Kingdom Seneschal can accurately report the views of the entire kingdom to the BOD.
  • Her Majesty recently shared a letter that she sent to the BOD encouraging them to reconsider the policy, and I know some of you have also written to them on the matter recently. Pressure is increasing.
  • If you feel strongly about the SCA’s vaccination policy, however you feel, please write to the president@sca.org and comments@sca.org.
  • However, the next scheduled BOD call isn’t until the same day as Red Tower. So Red Tower, if it goes forward, will be held under the current kingdom rules (see Nik). We understand folks are worried about the risk of transmission under the current rules, and we share your concerns. 
  • We urge everybody to do what is best for the health of yourself and everybody around you, including vaccination, masking, maintaining social distance, hand sanitizer, and, if need be, staying home.

SCA Business

  • Red Tower – Iazzie
    • We’re renting a pavilion and using the space in front of it. The area that we have is small. 
    • The site will open at 8 am. That’s the time the area opens so we can’t open earlier than that. Though, if people arrive early, the gates are normally open.
    • Everything will be pre-reg. You will need to get the parking pass on your own. We do not want to have a til there.
    • There are several areas that could be used for Childrens’ activities and a quiet place if needed.
    • The area where classes would be is very big. There are close restrooms as well as electric outlets.
    • This isn’t a state-run park so annual passes won’t work. This is a county park and you will need to pick up your pass on the way in.
  • Castle Wars – Ximon
    • We are actively looking for people to help out for staff.
    • I have talked to the marshals. We are planning right now but will need a goodly amount of marshals.
    • The plan right now is Their Majesties will hold court after lunch, not after fighting.
    • We are still in the early stages and I want to thank Alisandre for handing out the check so we were able to get insurance.
    • In case we can’t have the event in person, we have started talking about online things. 
    • We are looking at maybe doing a raffle or a silent auction to help play for our storage.

 

The business meeting was closed @ 2008.

The next business meeting will be held on 06 October 2021, 1930, Zoom Meeting.

August 2021 Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

04 August 2021, Time: 1931

Notes submitted by Signora Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Lady Bú Feiyan called the August meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich , greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Nikoslav read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Seneschal, (Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich)

  • The board is removing a good portion of the restrictions as of August 1st.
  • The kingdom restrictions should be out in the next few days. This is what we will be doing for the foreseeable future.
  • We have one Castle Wars bid. The financial committee has approved it. I will post a link to the bid.
    • Motion approved.

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • My quarterly report will be sent this week. 
  • If anyone has done any heraldry things or taught classes, I would love to include these.
  • If you have any classes you would like to see taught, please let me know.

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • Official Heavy Fighting Practices are up & running 12-3 pm at Liane Levetan Park
  • We will continue operating under Phase 1 guidelines until further notice from Kingdom
  • Reopening guidelines for Phase 1:
    • All Kingdom Guidelines will be adhered to include masks worn for non-vaccinated folks
    • Heavy & Rapier are able to practice on the same day/time, but at opposite ends of the greenspace to limit exposure and count our numbers separately toward the 20 allowable.
    • If we have under 20 combined, will we practice together (numbers include all spectators as well)
    • Heavy & Rapier have been combined onto a pre-registration sign up through Sign Up Genius to help facilitate the limited attendance (link posted to South Downs & Atlanta SCA Fighting Facebook pages as well as the Baronial website for those not on Facebook).  
      • Both fighters and spectators need to sign up in advance.  
      • Pre-reg collects info needed for Kingdom Rosters (mundane name, contact info, blue card info/waiver on site) which have to be submitted w/in 7 days of activity
      • “Walk-ins” will be allowed until capacity is reached.   
        • Walk-ins must fill out their info on a paper roster.  
        • If not signed up in advance you run the risk of being asked to leave.  
        • It is much easier to sign up in advance rather than have to do all that while you are trying to put on armor.
        • If you do not have a blue card, cannot remember your blue card info, or your membership is expired; you will be signing a waiver
    • You must have all your own kit.  Loaner gear will not be available for heavy fighting until a later Phase of reopening.
    • We will provide a water cooler; however, you must provide your own cup/drinking vessel
  • Red Tower
  • Double elimination (single bout; finals best two out of 3) Red Tower Tournament
  • Possibly Baronial prize fights? (Format TBD by their Excellencies)
  • Possibly Diamond Tourney (Single or double elimination depending on time/participants)?
  • NO PRACTICE THAT SUNDAY 19 Sept 2021

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • See above.

Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)

  • Nothing to report.

Reeve (Mistress Alessandra Giovanna Fioravanti & La Onesta Signore Justina di Silvestri)

  • The Red tower site deposit has been returned and deposited.

Quartermaster (Master Ximon Martillo de Cordoba

  • This upcoming Saturday is Meridies homecoming hangout.. starting at 7:30. I’ll be holding a room for fighters. Come join if you are interested.
  • We are doing Baronial inventory/straightening up this Saturday. Starting at 8:30 if anyone is interested in toting barges and lifting bales as well as straightening items in boxes.

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz & Cellach ingen Oengusa)

  • Not a lot of new people expressing interest.
    • Mairghread: There has been a new guy at practice.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Our demo on Aug 1st was a success. Westside Pop-up Market seems like a good place to have a stall every few months. 
  • Next demo is Aug 7th on the Eastside. 
  • Please see the Facebook event for details.

Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)

  • We have Arts and we have Sciences. 
  • If anyone did any Arts and/or Sciences please put them in our A&S tracking sheet. It would be lovely to have a big list to pass on to the Kingdom.

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • Class this month is Daoist Internal Alchemy with Bu Feiyan! As always, if anyone is interested in teaching a class for the Barony, they are welcome to host a separate workshop or class on another night if that works best for them. Just message me and we can get you on the schedule!

Chronicler (Signora Aelia Bassina)

  • Still looking for a deputy. Please let me know if anyone is interested.
  • Thank you to everyone who sent me their reports. It is very much appreciated!

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr

  • Made the Red Tower event page. 
  • We got new followers on Instagram, Twitter, and our baronial Facebook page.
    • Engagement on our page is up by 17% for the month. 
  • We have gained a few new members to our baronial group as well.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai & Lily of South Downs)

  • We had a class on deaf accessibility last month, that was great (but the recording hasn’t been posted yet). 
  • This month we’ll be doing a DEI update session, so I can share all the stuff that’s new since we started this office in 2020.

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna & HE Piers Simmons)

  • Created the Red Tower Website
  • Created the Castle Wars Website just waiting for content.
  • Created the MidWinter Website just waiting for content.
  • Added the board of directors announcement concerning reopening On July 3rd
  • Added the south downs fighter practice post from our knight marshal. 
  • Added message from the Kingdom Seneschal about September 1st
  • Added the Bod post about the August 1st suspension of in-person.
  • Updated all of our plugins. 
  • Updated Website to wordpress 5.8

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing to report

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • We are super excited to have Red Tower coming. Super Excited to hang out in a field with our friends.
  • We get to have a court, so if you know of anyone that deserves recognition, please let us know. We could use them for Castle Wars as well. 
  • The baronal day shade is in a bin that is falling apart. It’s going to cost $50 + tax. Because of the cost, it’s not something for the financial committee.
  • Midwinter is 6 months out. Please get bids in for that. Make art for it.
  • Can’t wait to see you all!

SCA Business

  • Lily: With the variant and there is new CDC guidance, does that change the policy for events coming up, specifically mask requirements?
    • Nikoslav: A lot of that will be addressed in the kingdom guidance coming out soon.
  • Piers: As everyone knows, I am the deputy Webminister. The Webminister will be coming back, but she has asked for time. If you need anything, please reach out to her and she will let me know.
    • Nikoslav: Thank you for the work you’ve done so far.

The business meeting was closed @ 2031.

The next business meeting will be held on 01 September 2021, 1930, Zoom Meeting.

July 2021 Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

07 July 2021, Time: 1932

Notes submitted by Signora Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Lady Bú Feiyan called the May meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich , greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Nikoslav read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Seneschal, (Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich)

  • Red Tower
    • Pre-reg only. However, things are changing each week so we may have pay at the door.
    • Bid passed

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • The 2021 Virtual Known World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium coming up July 9-11, 2021

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • Official Heavy Fighting Practice will reopen 18 July from 12-3 pm at Liane Levetan Park
  • Reopening guidelines for Phase 1:
    • All Kingdom Guidelines will be adhered to include masks worn for non-vaccinated folks
    • Heavy & Rapier are able to practice on the same day/time, but at opposite ends of the greenspace to limit exposure and count our numbers separately toward the 20 allowable.
    • Heavy will be using a pre-registration sign up through Sign Up Genius to help facilitate the limited attendance (to be sent out after the meeting).  
      • Both fighters and spectators need to sign up in advance.  
      • Pre-reg collects info needed for Kingdom Rosters (mundane name, contact info, blue card info/waiver on site) which have to be submitted w/in 7 days of activity
      • “Walk-ins” will be allowed until capacity is reached.   
        • Walk-ins must fill out their info on a paper roster.  
        • If not signed up in advance you run the risk of being asked to leave.  
    • You must have all your own kit.  Loaner gear will not be available for heavy fighting until a later Phase of reopening.
    • We plan to conduct armor/weapon inspections at fighter practices for a several weeks to make sure everyone’s kits are in order 
    • You will be responsible for your own hydration

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Per postings on the various relevant Facebook groups:  With our entry to Phase 1 of re-opening, I plan to start rapier practices this coming Sunday, 7/11, at noon, at Liane Levetan/Brook Run Park I Dunwoody.
  • Per current regulations, policies, and very prudent precautions, we are limited to 20 participants, and we must keep an attendance roster in case there is a need for contact tracing. Therefore, pre-registration is required.  Sign up is via a Google form, link is in my previous fb posts.
  • Feel free to contact me with questions, fb Messenger or email (rm.southdowns@meridies.org).
  • Royal University of Meridies is coming up, 7/16-18.  Please join us online.  If my day is shaping up as expected, I’m in a RUM organizational meeting as this report is being delivered, and I promise to post anything relevant as soon as I can.

Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)

  • Unlike rapier and heavy, live weapons is combined with Owl’s Nest.
  • Per HM, Live Weapons can’t resume until Phase 2.
    • It’s a moot point until we have new target stands. 
    • 3 target stands will be about $100

Reeve (La Onesta Signore Justina di Silvestri)

  • Quarterly bill for storage unit is paid.

Quartermaster (Master Ximon Martillo de Cordoba

  • I have decided to delay inventory until early August and will contact people that I feel need to be at that inventory

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz & Cellach ingen Oengusa)

  • Prince Wulfstan is looking to make recruiting videos (starting with twenty-somethings, I think) if anyone wants to get involved
  • Spoke about recruitment with Wistric last week.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • I have not heard back from any of my contacts.
  • If anyone has any ideas where we can do demos, please send them to me.
    • Especially in a place with a minority presence.

Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)

  • There will be a sew-a-long for a rectangular tunic/shift using the seamstrue custom pattern generator starting in a week or two details will be on the FB group as they unfold
  • I’d also like to plan a FineFabrics field trip for this weekend.  What are the parameters we need to follow? Max 20, must have a roster of who was there but we don’t have to pre reg?

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • Class this month will be Constructive Criticism and A&S Feedback with Acharya Mewadi Margavati Bai. 
  • I’m always looking for alternative classes for the barony, so please feel free to reach out to me if you have a class or workshop that you’d like to teach and we can schedule something. Doesn’t have to always be on class nights if anyone wants to host a workshop on the weekend or a longer class.

Chronicler (Signora Aelia Bassina)

  • I will be working on the next Newsletter and should have it out soon.
  • Still looking for a deputy. Please let me know if anyone is interested.
  • Thank you to everyone who sent me their reports. It is very much appreciated!

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr

  • We have social media ( aka nothing to report)

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai & Lily of South Downs)

  • We’re having a DEI class this month, but Lily and I are still working out the details. We will announce the topic ASAP!

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna & HE Piers Simmons)

  • Updated all of the plugins on the site
  • Added the covid-19 reopening plan with new guidance from his majesty.
  • Posted kingdom Senschal’s message about COVID reopening. 
  • Added the board of directors announcement concerning reopening 
  • Created a baronal progress page and added the events their excellencies plan to go to.

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing to report

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • We miss you guys!

SCA Business

  • Lady Mairghread Wilson
    • Bu had talked about doing signs. I’m not sure what signs she was talking about. 
      • Laser etched on wood, something permanent.
    • Did we get a bid for Castle Wars?
      • Yes, it will be passed to the financial committee.
      • Pre-reg only.
      • Ximon: We are planning on having it at McIntosh. We’re going to keep the same time format. A couple of things we are going to try to do, we have an idea for a scenario for a war. 

The business meeting was closed @ 2107.

The next business meeting will be held on 04 August 2021, 1930, Zoom Meeting.

JUNE 2021 BARONIAL BUSINESS MEETING

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

02 June 2021, Time: 1940

Notes submitted by Signora Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Lady Bú Feiyan called the May meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich , greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Nikoslav read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Seneschal, (Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich)

  • Reminder to check official emails
  • Went over Society Covid Reopening plan update. Please check the full text of the update on the SCA web page or facebook group. 
  • Discussed Red Tower and Castle War Bids. Please send bids asap for Red Tower

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • We have heraldry going on.
  • No one has contacted me for anything new.
  • If you’re interested, hit me up.
  • If you would like to learn something about heraldry, please let me know.

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • 2 June 2021 – Crown List in Hartsell, AL
    • 15 total competitors
    • 2 competitors will be representing South Downs, Sir Iastreb & myself
  • Created zip code boundary map and overlapping counties for South Downs to better help with COVID tracking for the Barony
    • Currently 4 counties within tolerance (Gwinnett, Fayette, DeKalb, Fulton)
    • 4 counties NOT in tolerance (Cobb, Clayton, Henry, Spalding)
  • Phase 1 potentially by 1 Jul if trend continues – will work w/other SD Marshal’s & Kingdom Earl Marshal on reopening plan for martial activities
  • We will be required to keep lists of people that attend activities.
  • We still have a lot of unanswered questions
  • The Marshals will be meeting again to hash out some of the questions

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Same as above.
  • My take on a lot of the unknowns is that they are known. We have guidelines we have to adhere to.

Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)

  • I need to spend $90-110 + S&H for new loaner arrows. This would get us 36 arrows (3 full quivers, 6 sets for Royal Rounds), & is a great price for them.
  • We need to build new target stands but have no idea yet how much they’ll cost because lumber is so expensive. 
  • We need to figure out the parameters for phasing archery back in since it’s a combined practice for both SD and ON (and takes place on ON land). Also mine & Ben’s zip code is for Bryn Madoc; my Deputy Shawn/Conner has a Sol Haven zip code; how does this affect restarting archery practice?

Reeve (La Onesta Signore Justina di Silvestri)

  • We have money.
  • No new business.

Quartermaster (Master Ximon Martillo de Cordoba

  • We have stuff.
  • I’m going to be going to the storage facility on the 12th to straighten up and count. I haven’t been there for about a month.
  • I’ll be getting with Wistric and find out the inventory list.
  • Lindsey offered to be my deputy so I wanted to run that by the officers to see what they thought. I hate paperwork so if she could do that it would be cool. (She’s willing to do it)

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz)

  • We don’t have a ton of new people
  • One or two people have posted in the FB group in the last month.
  • Walter has stepped down as my deputy. Cellach will be taking over as my deputy. She’s got a lot of ideas.
    • Thank you, Lily, for the financial acceptability class. It was amazing.
    • I would like to talk about transportation for new people. I would like to work on a “I need transportation help” form. This could be for meetings or events. We have talked about having people that have been background checked to be in the carpool list. I need some feedback on if it should be online (Google Form) or on paper (potential for getting lost).
      • There was a long discussion about background checks. It will be looked at further.
    • Moving forwards, I would like to create videos for newcomers.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • I get to finally start preparing for demos again.
  • I’ve emailed a few places.
  • Atlanta Pride is going to be the last weekend of Gulf Wars. Do we still want to try to do a demo?
  • I am looking for local festivals that I can contact about getting us tables.
  • Before the meeting today, we were discussing contacts at colleges. If anyone has contacts in colleges, please let me know. We would like to get things going in colleges again. I’m going to be looking to do a day-long demo for schools in the Fall or Winter.
  • I’m always interested in any diversity events you can think of. I am looking for more makers events.

Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)

  • We have A&S
  • We need teachers for RUM. 
  • There are some interesting events coming up.

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • We have classes for the rest of the year. 
  • I may need an alternate class for October but we have time to plan that.

Chronicler (Signora Aelia Bassina)

  • We have words.
  • I would like to request that the Barony officers email me their updates for the meeting. I don’t think a lot of people don’t realize how fast you talk and how hard it is to keep up. There’s also spelling of certain names and such. It would really help me a lot to have it in advance.
  • I am looking for a deputy. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr

  • We have social media- we’ve gained about a dozen followers on IG, 7 on Twitter and had several new people join our Facebook group.  
  • You might have noticed we changed our FB group to private per society recommendations that seems to have gone over well.  
  • And finally in collaboration with Margavati- we’re celebrating pride month! I’ve changed over some of our photos and graphics in honor of this month.  We will begin doing some more celebration posts as well!

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai)

  • Hello! Happy Pride Month!
  • We were supposed to have a class on female fighters, but it’s pride month!
  • We have an out of kingdom teacher that’s teaching trans 101. I’m super bad with names though. There’s a graphic that’s been posted. We will be talking about what it means to be transgendered and trans in the SCA.
  • I would love to feature more pride content. If you have a really cool period story about a figure that we could feature, that would be great. We would love to show off what our barony knows.
  • I still do not have any patterns for our beginner garb project. Please send it to the DEI email.

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna & HE Piers Simmons)

  • Updated Nikoslav’s profile: Added Senechal

  • Updated Juliane’s profile: removed Senechal
  • Updated the Seneschal’s page: added Nikoslav as Seneschal. 
  • Removed THL Juliane de Vivonne from the People of South Downs per her request.
  • Fixed the Official Email address for Lady Mairghread and Captain Brendan’s Pages. 
  • Added Burning Trumpet to the honors section of Master Lorenzo’s page. 
  • Added all of Kál-Bárðr’s Awards to the honors section of his page. 
  • Added Corona Graita to the honors section of Her Excellency’s page. 
  • Requested email address from kingdom for the Demo deputy. 
  • Updated the Chatelaine’s page: to add the demo deputy’s email address. 
  • The fowaders for @Atlantasca.org to the new email addresses were shot down by Kingdom. Would everyone look at the website and see if I missed any of the @Atlantasca.org so we are up to date. 
  • Created a Social Media Officer Author account on the website. Helped Isabella get logged in. 
  • His Excellency Wistric setup the redirect from Atlantasca.org to southdowns.meridies.org.
  • Kingdom is giving us a new website URL southdowns.meridies.org 
  • I would like to ask for approval from the Barony to keep the site redirected from Atlantasca.org to southdowns.meridies.org until July 1 2022 our other option is July 1 2021.
  • All web site content was copied to the new website on 5/19/2021
  • Removed Emelina’s access from the website.

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing to report

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • We don’t have much.
  • We are looking forward to getting together.
  • Please put in your bids for Red Tower.

SCA Business

  • None

The business meeting was closed @ 2040.

The next business meeting will be held on 07 July 2021, 1930, Zoom Meeting.

 

May 2021 Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

05 May 2021, Time: 1933

Notes submitted by Signora Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Lady Bú Feiyan called the May meeting to order. Our Seneschal, THL Juliane de Vivonne, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Juliane read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • I know that people have been announced, but I do not have a list.
  • I am still looking for a deputy herald.

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • Crown is still accepting letters of intent for June 12th.
    • They should be accepting them until the end of the month.
    • You would need to fight with a mask.
    • Fighters, consorts, and event staff only.
  • Please keep in mind our opening policy. We are still a long way off from reopening. They are looking at possibly reevaluating the requirements.

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Same as above.
  • Neither the BOD nor the Kingdom are looking at vaccinations as a factor in reopening.
  • As vaccination rates get higher, we should see a dramatic drop in new cases.

Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)

  • This month I have something to say!
  • We retrieved the archery stuff.
  • The target stands were already <insert unhappy noise here>
  • At some point, I will be stepping down. My official deputy is not able to step up, but Mathias will step up if the barony wants him.
  • I will be at events to help set up.

Reeve (La Onesta Signore Justina di Silvestri)

  • We have money.
  • I have Justina and we are just waiting for her warrant.
  • The storage unit is paid for.

Quartermaster (Master Ximon Martillo de Cordoba

  • We have stuff.
  • I have not checked the storage last month.
  • Sometime in June I will head over there and take inventory. It will be on a Saturday. I wouldn’t mind some help.

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz)

  • Nothing new to report.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • I am still looking at places.
  • I’m slowly planning and my thoughts are going in those directions.
  • Conventions are happening this year. Hopefully, next year I can get us tables at those conventions.

Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)

  • We have A&S.
  • The registration for KA&S is up on the Kingdom FB group and there is a tri-kingdom university happening in June   
    • I will post the link to the FB event.  Good opportunity for both students and teachers

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • Class this week is by Majda.
  • Yay Classes!
  • We have a full calendar for the rest of the year.
    • I am taking alternates in case someone can’t teach.

Chronicler (Signora Aelia Bassina)

  • We have words.
  • I am looking for a deputy. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr

  • We have social media.
  • The Society Social sent out a recommendation that groups be private but visible.
  • We’ve added followers for all our social media.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai)

  • I just finished taking a DEI in the workplace and I will soon be certified!
  • This month, May 19, is SCA on a Budget.

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna & HE Piers Simmons)

  • Updated Ximon’s profile: Added Quartermaster.
  • Updated Lucien’s profile: removed Deputy Herald and Quartermaster.
  • Updated  Isabella Parr: added Social media officer.
  • Updated Emelina’s profile: removed Social Media Officer
  • Moved the BODs Announcement to the top of the home page.
  • Updated the plugins
  • Removed THL Lucien d’Artois People of South Downs per his request.

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • We have children but they aren’t doing anything right now.
  • Nothing to report

Seneschal, (THL Juliane de Vivonne & Nikoslav Mikolaevich)

  • The first this is the field 
    • The autocrat for Crown asked me (the Trumpet Herald), to use the eric for Crown. I will take it there and bring it back.
    • Motion carried.
  • I used to work for Emory. At that time, I was getting my Master’s. When I left, they couldn’t get me the discount. I’m going to be stepping down so I can continue my education. Nick will be stepping up. Once I stop the recording, Nick will take over.
    • Someone will have to figure out the zoom situation
    • Nick needs to be added to the Baronial FB as an admin and I need to be removed.
    • We will get together soon to pass on the keys.

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • It’s good to see you all.
  • As we get closer to the magic phase 1 in the next upcoming months, we are looking forward to seeing people in person.
  • What that means for us as a barony is actually planning for events.
    • Please put in bids!
  • I’m going to make a questionnaire (voluntary!).
    • What do we want to keep from virtual SCA?
    • What don’t we want to keep?

SCA Business

  • Sunneva
    • I want to thank Juliane for her service.

The business meeting was closed @ 2006.

The next business meeting will be held on 02 June 2021, 1930, Zoom Meeting.

 

April 2021 Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

07 April 2021, Time: 193

 

Notes submitted by Signora Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

 

Lady Bú Feiyan called the April meeting to order. Our Seneschal, THL Juliane de Vivonne, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Juliane read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Nothing new to report
  • I have an opening for a deputy. Let me know if you’re interested

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • Bryce has taken over as the new Kingdom Earl Marshal.
  • They are planning on having a marshal’s meeting at Iris Faire.
    • Should be heavy marshals only
    • Should be discussing opening strategies

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Pretty much in the same spot as Heavy Combat.
    • Marshals
      • Reports are still due.
      • check the expiration dates of your warrants. 
      • If you’re warranted, please check your emails to make sure your warrant gets renewed.
    • I’ve worked on guidelines for when we can get together. I will re-publish that with a comment link. 

Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)

  • Nothing new to report

Reeve (Mistress Alessandra Giovanna Fioravanti)

  • We have money.
  • We haven’t had any events to bring in new money.
  • Justina has agreed to be my deputy and will be stepping up as soon as her warrant is approved.

Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois & Master Ximon Martillo de Cordoba

  • Effective immediately, I am resigning.
  • Master Ximon Martillo de Cordoba will be taking over for me.

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz)

  • Nothing new to report.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Eventually, we will do demos again. I have demo ideas. If you have any ideas, please let me know.
  • DragonCon is still selling tickets, but I have not looked into it. I have been looking at other Cons in the area.

Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)

  • We have A&S.
  • It’s that time of the quarter. Please add your project to the sheet on the Barony feed.
  • A&S is not just the big things, smaller things are A&S too.

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • Still need a class for September. Please contact me if you are interested
  • This month’s class is bookbinding with Margavati. She will post a list of supplies for the class in the Barony group.

Chronicler (Signora Aelia Bassina)

  • The second quarter newsletter has been delayed due to real life. There is still time to get articles in. Please submit them to me asap.
  • I am looking for a deputy. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Social Media Minister (HE Emelina le Nourreys & Lady Isabella Parr

  • We have social media.
  • This is my last meeting as the social media for South Downs.
  • When I started, we had 56 and now we have 351.
  • Isabella will be taking over from me.
  • The Barony has been great! Thank you!

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai)

  • I don’t know what I’m doing this month because I’ve scheduled things starting May through July. But, I don’t have anything for April. We will announce something in the next week or so.
  • Thank you to everyone for being so great and making my job super easy.

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna & HE Piers Simmons)

  • Updated all plugins on the website and updated WordPress to version 5.7. 
  • Created a page for the Baronial Lineage off their Excellencies page. 
  • Added the BODs Resolution to Lift Suspension of In-Person Activity to the website.

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing new to report

Seneschal, (THL Juliane de Vivonne)

  • I would like to talk about what’s been on everyone’s Facebook.
    • The BOD made an announcement about in-person activities
      • We have to abide by state and local health guidelines
      • Masks that cover the mouth and nose by all attendees over the age of 4
      • Court or bardic activities must also include masks. Sound amplification is recommended
      • No day board, no water-bearing, or food of any kind. All attendees much provide their all food and beverages
        • You must remain in one spot and stay in one spot
      • No overnight events and they much be outdoors
      • There has to be a maximum of 150 people and everyone must pre-register
    • Small local gatherings shall remain at the discretion of the Crown and Kingdom Seneschal
    • The Crown and Kingdom Seneschal are working on it based on our own Kingdom guidelines. We are still in Phase Zero, which means nothing at this time. They are going to revamp that and tell us what they would like us to do. We will get guidelines that are specific to Meridies.
  • Red Tower
    • We are approved for the weekend before MGT in September
    • The Hard Labor Camp was not available. 
    • There is availability in Indian Springs. However, if we are required to only do day events, we don’t know how that will work out.
    • We are going to wait to see what the Kingdom says within the next week.

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • This has been an incredibly difficult year for everyone.
  • But there is finally light at the end of the tunnel and I am grateful to see people interacting online and making plans.
  • As Barony, you all have persevered throughout this year that I never foresaw us doing.
  • We might see people that were absent that pop up again.
  • As we cautiously move towards reopening, consider things about this virtual SCA that worked for you. Consider things that you would like to bring into this bold new future. 
  • We have watched you prevail and perceiver. We are so proud.
  • (She was tearing up!!)
  • We take a great deal of pride to claim association with you. Your works and deeds are admired across the Kingdom.

SCA Business

  • Juliane
    • At the last meeting, I mentioned the Known World Bardic. I could not find it for anything. I’ve found it for this month and I’ve posted it to the Barony page.
  • Margavati
    • The Crown posted some new enamel medallions. Check out the SCA Merchants page.
    • I have been talking about people in the Barony about this. We’ve been talking about creating some easy garb guides for people. If you have anything that you think would be easy for people to make, please send them to me. Garb for kids would be awesome!
    • We’re looking for the t-tunic for what your culture would be
    • Una
      • What if we made that little book and then did a bookbinding night to make them into booklets!
    • Lily
      • Maybe some illumination so that everyone can get in on it. Like a little scrapbook.
      • Since we are doing a class on SCA affordability, maybe we could include that in the class.
    • Juliane
      • Maybe try to make a dress form that matching your frame
      • Do not name the book “How to Cover Your Booty”
    • Emelina
      • We will be having a Homecoming social soon.
    • Ximon 
      • I am running a room this Saturday (@ Homecoming) and I’ll be in the “if you get hit, walk it off” room.
      • The opening subject is “ what does a consort do?l
      • So I am looking for input from fighters and non-fighters.
      • BYOB

The business meeting was closed @ 2019.

The next business meeting will be held on 05 May 2021, 1930, Zoom Meeting.

 

March 2021 Baronial Business Meeting

03 March 2021, Time: 1931

 

Notes submitted by Signora Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

 

THL Lucien d’Artois called the March meeting to order. Our Seneschal, THL Juliane de Vivonne, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Juliane read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • We had one award last month, SMS elevation.
  • HE Emelina submitted her device.
  • Ashlyn is also submitting a device.
  • Justina submitted a badge, and it has passed kingdom and will be sent to the society.

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • Our replacement for the Kingdom Earl Marshal is 

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Nothing new to report.

Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)

  • Nothing new to report.

Reeve (Mistress Alessandra Giovanna Fioravanti)

  • Nothing new to report

Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)

  • We have stuff.

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz)

  • Nothing new to report.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Nothing new to report.

Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)

  • We have A&S.
  • We had people that entered Stella Nova, Cellach and Lykinia.
  • This is the last month in Q1. Please fill it out by March 30th.
  • If you have a personal page or blog that you post you things to, please let me know.

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • Nothing new to report.

Chronicler (Signora Aelia Bassina)

  • The second quarter newsletter will be coming out soon. If there are any articles that people would like to see published, please submit them to me asap.
  • I am going to start looking for a deputy. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Social Media Minister (HE Emelina le Nourreys)

  • We are up to 344 followers on Instagram and 1 new follower in the FB group.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai)

  • Class this month on the 17th will be for youth in the SCA, following that will be a panel. 
  • Will be working on a schedule for the upcoming months.

 

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna)

  • Changed all email addresses of officers to @meridies.org addresses
  • Changed URL for DP update form to one that will email Piers instead of myself.
  • Changed sidebar to note new webmin and new webmin email address
  • We got hacked. Kingdom webmin stepped in and added new security protocols. We think we have it under control again. 
  • Updated site to mark Bu as the herald
  • Added Laurel to Tami’s page and updated the page to a new name and title
  • Updated Finbarr, Sefa, Gwen, and Lykania’s pages with awards
  • Updated baronial awards recipients page to indicate Midwinter Awards

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing to report

Seneschal, (THL Juliane de Vivonne)

  • Still thinking about Red Tower.
    • Still nervous about it being a weekend event since we don’t know if the state will be open by then.

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • We want to give our thanks to all those that helped with MidWinter.
  • Thank you for being out there and representing the barony this past month.
  • Would like to push the redbubble merch

SCA Business

  • Raven
    • Midwinter was about a month ago already.
    • It went really well. We had two full tracks of classes. We had teachers from at least 3 different kingdoms.
    • We had evening activities for the first time.
    • We had a regional A&S fair and Populace choice faire.
    • It went really well for being the first virtual event.
  • Lucien
    • Our Beacon Herald will be stepping down. Her deputy will be stepping up.
  • Ximon
    • Next week is project night. Bring your stuff. There’s no telling what we will talk about.
    • Maybe we can raid other kingdom’s project nights.

The business meeting was closed @ 2001.

The next business meeting will be held on 07 April 2021, 1930, Zoom Meeting.

February 2021 Baronial Business Meeting

03 February 2021, Time: 1932

Notes submitted by Lady Raven and Captain Brendan, South Downs Backup Chroniclers.

THL Lucien d’Artois called the February meeting to order. Our Seneschal, THL Juliane de Vivonne, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Juliane read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)

  • Not much to report – no awards or submissions in the past month
  • He is stepping down after 4 years, Bu is replacing him and he will be her deputy until she finds someone
  • He’ll still help with submissions etc as he is still heralding on the kingdom level

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • Reiterated Master Edward of Yarbrorough, Kingdom Earl Marshal’s message of the week: 
    • Check your gear, check your auth cards. 
    • Master Edward will be stepping down soon, and needs a replacement. 
    • Applicants should send a resume to him and Crown.

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Nothing new to report.

Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)

  • Nothing new to report

Reeve (Mistress Alessandra Giovanna Fioravanti)

  • Nothing new to report

Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)

  • Haven’t seen any of our stuff for 6 months, but he’s assuming we still have our stuff
  • Clarifies – he reached his pun quota for his herald’s office, but he still has a lot available for his quartermaster’s quota
  • One of the storage locker doors won’t open. it was damaged when we rented the unit, but it’s gotten worse. Lucien will investigate it.

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz)

  • No report – we probably have people

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Nothing new, but has been considering getting a table at this year’s Atlanta Pride. However, it is currently scheduled for the closing weekend of Gulf Wars, so perhaps next year? check FB group to see what interest might be. It’s possible that there may be enough interest if we don’t have as many people heading to GW as usual. Suggested FB poll to gauge interest.

Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)

  • We have arts and sciences!
  • We have lots of fun classes for MWAS.  Check out 100 Days of Meridies, HRMs challenge to see lots of cool projects being worked on!

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • (She has a Korean class at the same on Wednesdays now, so submitted report electronically) The class meeting will be a live cooking show from Ogata (Charlie). If anyone would like to take a class for the barony, please get in contact!

Chronicler (Signora Aelia Bassina)

  • We have words, a chronicler, and double backup chroniclers tonight (Lady Raven and Captain Brendan)

Social Media Minister (HE Emelina le Nourreys)

  • We have social media 
  • Society social media is doing something for February – why you love the SCA #lovemySCA
  • Look for it on the FB group

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna)

  • Site is down for the moment.  Kingdom is in control until further notice.  Should be coming back slowly over the next couple days.
  • Our website is having some temporary difficulties. This is above my paygrade and I have temporarily given up control to the kingdom webminister who has cut everybody’s access to the website both as a viewer and an admin. By tomorrow Wistric, Piers, and I should have access. Other people will come up slowly after that, as we can institute new security protocols. Aelia, you’re our priority. Once you regain access, please change your password to something difficult to guess that you haven’t used on other sites. 
  • It is now mandatory that we only use the official kingdom email addresses on our website. As soon as I regain control, I will be changing all email addresses to the @meridies.org addresses. If you don’t have one but need one, please contact me. Please check these emails. I am sorry; I was not given a choice. 
  • In more positive news, Piers Simmons has stepped up as my deputy. For now, he is responsible for the DP. You should make sure your DP page is up to date, and give him things to do. We have also recently put a pronouns section on DP pages, so if you are comfortable doing so, you should give us your pronouns on the DP form. This is strictly opt-in. 
  • Since last month I have added awards to Cellach and Aelia’s pages, changed the webminister page so that it lists myself and Piers as the webmin, fixed the sidebar so that all Wednesday activities are listed instead of just the 4th Wednesday, and changed the link on the A&S page to the 2021 A&S spreadsheet. Some of these changes did not stay on the site because of the aforementioned problems, but they will be back as soon as I regain control.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai)

  • We have a class coming up this month – DEI spotlight. this month will be taught by Lady Majda on orientalism

Their Excellencies, Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia

  • Hello Loveliest of Baronies.  Reminder about Baronial Shop on RedBubble.  Helps pay storage fees.  Aelia & Margavati have made some cute designs. Will share link.
  • MWAS.  Baronial and Kingdom court will be on the same FB livestream, Sunday at 5pm.  If you need court time, let B&B know tonight or tomorrow morning.  No last-minute stuff.
  • Will contact others privately.

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing to report

Seneschal, (THL Juliane de Vivonne)

  • Two things:
  1. A reminder that all official activity should exclude modern politics. This includes postings to Baronial FB groups.
  2. Red Tower – we still don’t know about dates, but in thinking it over, we still don’t know where we’re going to be at that time. For those considering submitting a bid, please think about doing it as a day trip, as it will be a simpler event and will have less to adjust. Can we consider combining RT and CW again? maybe RT on Friday?

SCA Business

  • MWAS (Raven).  Event coming up this Saturday.  A&S judging is in progress NOW.  2 full tracks of classes.  Judging for populace faire is on the event page right now, go vote.
  • We will have online activities on Saturday night, graciously hosted by Mistress Ellen and the monthly Homecoming Social. MW will be adding a bardic circle, hosted by Master William Brewer, to Homecoming, and we hope to also host a revel – still looking for someone to host it, so please contact Raven if interested.
  • Margavati tells us that for zoom security, a private group within public event online for Soong’s vigil.

The business meeting was closed @ 2001.

The next business meeting will be held on 03 March 2021, 1930, Zoom Meeting.

 

January 2021 Baronial Business Meeting

13 January 2021, Time: 1931

 

Notice: Due to the events that occurred at the Capitol Building on 06 January 2021, the normal Baronial Business Meeting was rescheduled to 13 January 2021.

 

Notes submitted by Signora Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

 

THL Lucien d’Artois called the January meeting to order. Our Seneschal, THL Juliane de Vivonne, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Juliane read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)

  • Not a whole lot this month

  • We did have two award recipients.

  • Last month, we got a new laurel, Mistress Veronica!

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • On the armor side of the house. There was a request to borrow armor for a photoshoot. We officially declined due to COVID. However, unofficially, if someone wanted to loan their armor and take care of cleaning, that would be on them.

  • Penfeathers is looking for submissions. If any of our youth would like to submit something. That would be artwork or an article. The contact for that would be Jennifer Harrington.

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Nothing new to report.

Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)

  • Nothing new to report

Reeve (Mistress Alessandra Giovanna Fioravanti)

  • We have money. We finally got paid for Midwinter. There was a problem with the mail. We have $8,443.00. We will have enough money to pay for the storage unit to pay for the rest of the year.

  • The Red Tower event is already paid for.

Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)

  • We have stuff. It’s in the storage unit.

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz)

  • Not a whole lot to report.

  • I started a Tik Toc account for personal use. I created a secondary account for SCA. I will see what comes of it. It will be informational/entertainment.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • No demos currently scheduled. 

  • I am working out where I can schedule things.

Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)

  • It is the beginning of Q1.

  • Please fill out the A&S sheet!

  • I would like to introduce my deputy!

Provost

  • Nothing to report

Chronicler (Signora Aelia Bassina)

  • I am behind on the Quarterly Newsletter due to real life. However, I plan to have it ready by the end of this weekend. If anyone has any last-minute articles, I would gladly accept them.

Social Media Minister (HE Emelina le Nourreys)

  • The Kingdom has been getting a lot more zoom bombers.

    • I believe that the Barony is protected

    • Please do not post anything in public places and use the waiting rooms.

    • We’ve got some new followers.

Webminister (Zhelana Vovkivna)

  • Webminister report – I stepped up on the first. 

  • Since then we have given the kingdom admin access to the site but I still don’t have admin access myself. 

  • Added Laurel to Veronica’s DP page

  • Updated to 2021

  • Added a note that all events are on hold.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai)

  • I have been working hard to get some DEI classes lined up.

    • I’ve created a Google Calendar as they get scheduled.

    • We have the first two months already set up.

      • The first month is really just informational and resources.

      • The first one is on inauguration day, so keep in mind things may be a bit tumultuous. 

      • Majda will be teaching in February.

      • We are going to try and bring in one of the silent heralds. 

      • I would like to include a young person in the SCA

      • We would like to have a class on SCA on a budget.

      • I’ve asked Justina to teach a class on behalf of the Courtesans’ Guild.

Their Excellencies, Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia

  • We don’t have anything particular

  • We are looking forward to MidWinter.

  • Y’all are the best barony in the whole world!

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing to report

Seneschal, (THL Juliane de Vivonne)

  • Thank you for being flexible. It has been a stressful week. It’s okay to not be okay. 

  • I want to emphasize that we don’t do outside political stuff during official SCA stuff

  • I want to talk about Red Tower.

    • We all know that Gulf Wars has been moved to out weekend

    • Don’t despair!

    • There are a few things being considered. 

      • Not official! We have had an offer to combine with another group.

        • There are pros and cons. The biggest being that it would be two weeks before Castle Wars

        • Because they are a small group, we would do most of the heavy lifting

        • That means we would have two events without any money coming in right away since it takes a couple of weeks from PayPal

      • We may be able to do it on our old weekend in September.

        • It may not end up being a physical event

        • It will be decided this month.

        • This is our best-case scenarios

        • The downside is that it is very hot that weekend.

      • We can also roll Red Town and Castle Wars into one event

        • Not a good choice as one is a melee event and the other is a tournament

  • The kingdom is making some changes to the website structures

    • Pietro is no longer our Webminister

      • He is amazing!

SCA Business

  • Raven

    • Yes, we are doing MidWinter this year. It will be on  Feb 6th. 

    • It will also be lasting over to Feb 7th for the elevation and court.

    • We are looking at doing some evening activities. We are working with the HomeComing crew as their event is on the same night. They will be adding some rooms for us. Keep your eyes open for that information.

    • On Saturday, there will be classes. If you are interested in teaching a class, please talk to Lady Alisandre. There is a google form on the event page.

    • Master Lorenzo is running our regional faire.

    • There will be a subtlety showcase for cooks who can show their food in disguise. 

    • Juliane and Lucien are sponsoring a prize. They are focusing on extra-European. The prize is a set of teacups.

    • There is no theme this year.

    • Emelina will be handling the advertising.

  • Bu

    • At demos, I normally have a banner for the Barony. Would it be okay if I flew something like that for Meriedies?

      • We would need to get permission.

      • We also have banners that have the badges for the Barony.

  • Margavati

    • Tammy’s vigil will be having her vigil on the first day of MidWinter. 

    • I have created a FB group for updates.

The business meeting was closed @ 2016.

The next business meeting will be held on 03 February 2021, 1930, Zoom Meeting.