Category Archives: Announcements

The SCA Board of Directors further lifts the suspension of in-person activity in North America, effective August 1, 2021, provided adherence to the items in this resolution;

1.         All attendees in North America must follow all national, province, territory, state, and local health guidelines at SCA events. In addition, at all North American SCA events:

a. Kingdoms may continue to require the use of masks at their events as they deem necessary;
b. As research has shown that minimal transmission occurs from food, the serving of feasts, inns, day boards, and buffet-style food is now allowed at the Kingdom’s discretion;
c. Large coolers to dispense water into individual personal containers are now permitted;
d. To facilitate contact tracing, all who attend any SCA-sponsored event in North America (including local meetings, fighter practices, etc.) must be signed in on a roster prior to entering the event; and
e. The following language is required to appear on all event notices, flyers, online announcements, and advertisements, as well as being posted in multiple locations (including gate) at any and all SCA-sponsored functions going forward:
Although the SCA complies with all applicable laws to ensure the health and safety of our event participants, we cannot eliminate the risk of exposure to infectious diseases during in-person events. By participating in the in-person events of the SCA, you acknowledge and accept the potential risks. You agree to take any additional steps to protect your own health and safety and those under your control as you believe to be necessary.

2.         Any Kingdoms that propose any deviation from the above restrictions must request a variance from the Society Seneschal in order to hold the proposed event. The Society Seneschal shall have the authority to grant or deny these requests. These requests will be reviewed by the Board using the same review method used for variances to Corpora; and,

3.         Enforcement of this resolution will be coordinated by the Society Seneschal and President of SCA Inc.

Questions or comments should be sent directly to president@sca.org and seneschal@sca.org, or your Board Ombudsman.

No matter what safety precautions we put in place, there is no substitute for each individual being educated about the risk to themselves and their loved ones and making responsible choices to protect themselves and others from this virus.

Link to document PDF: https://www.sca.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/AugustInPersonActivityResolution.pdf

From the Kingdom Seneschal.

Greetings unto the populace and assembled guests of Meridies. As Their Majesties discussed in Court, there has been much talk about how best to reopen the Kingdom. We know that there is no one solution that will please everyone. There are those among us who would have the Kingdom remain closed, while there are others who would have there be no restrictions at all. Neither of these is feasible. Bearing that in mind, after consultation between Their Majesties, Their Highnesses, and myself, we have reached the following decision.
Beginning September 1, 2021, Meridies will follow the SCA Board of Directors resolution dated May 25, 2021. This announcement takes the place of the Meridian phased reopening plan.
The following requirements apply:
1. All federal, state, provincial, and local health rules and restrictions must be followed. If a local government does not allow gatherings above a certain size, or requires masks, those restrictions must be followed, up to and including further governmental shutdowns.1. Advance registration and payment is STRONGLY encouraged.
2. The following language MUST be posted prominently in multiple places at EVERY practice, meeting, social, and event, and in event notices, flyers, online announcements, and advertisements:
Although the SCA complies with all applicable laws to ensure the health and safety of our event participants, we cannot eliminate the risk of exposure to infectious diseases during in-person events. By participating in the in-person events of the SCA, you acknowledge and accept the potential risks. You agree to take any additional steps to protect your own health and safety and those under your control as you believe to be necessary.
3. A roster must be maintained for EVERY gathering, martial practice, A&S night, meeting, and event. There is a link on the Kingdom webpage to a fillable form, or you may print the form provided and submit to the roster deputy.
4. Advance registration and payment is STRONGLY encouraged.
5. The SCA, including officers and event staff, may not provide shared drinking containers or any food served in buffet, dayboard, or family style. Box lunches that are pre-prepared are acceptable, as are “Gatorade” style water coolers out of which individuals may fill their own individual cups. If an individual or household chooses to offer food to people, they MUST make it clear that they are doing so on their own, not as part of the event.
6. There will be no size caps on events or gatherings, and camping is allowed.
We are a Society whose core foundations are built on the ideals of courtesy, honor, and chivalry. I ask, no, I EXPECT everyone to honor those ideals. Consent is of vital importance as we navigate these waters. Chivalrous, courteous, honorable individuals do whatever is necessary to make those around them feel safer and more comfortable, whether it is wearing masks, asking for hugs, or maintaining a safe distance when asked.
I remain, as always, in Service to Meridies
Zayn al-Munajjima, called Mittens
Seneschal

Board of Directors Announcement Concerning Reopening – must be posted at every in-person activity!

Although the SCA complies with all applicable laws to try to ensure the health and safety of our event participants, we cannot eliminate the risk of exposure to infectious diseases during in-person events.  By participating in the in-person events of the SCA, you acknowledge and accept the potential risks.  You agree to take any additioanl steps to protect your own health and safety and those under your control as you believe to be necessary.

Relaying this from Kingdom Seneschal.

Good evening, everyone. As promised, below is a list of what has to happen now that the Kingdom has moved as a whole to Phase 1. Please read and acknowledge, and let me know if you have any questions. Please share with your marshallate, A&S officers, and whoever you think might need the information.
1. As per BoD requirements, all groups MUST collect a roster, which shall include a persons mundane name and means of contact AT A MINIMUM, for EVERY local fighter practice, business meeting, A&S night, and social. This roster shall be entered into the Google form maintained on the Kingdom website (HisRH will be testing this out this week, and we hope to go live by the weekend) within 7 days of each gathering. There is a 20 person limit on each gathering. If gatherings are held concurrently, a physical space must be maintained between the gatherings. Link to the roster form on Google is here: https://meridies.org/roster-submissions/ – how you choose to do this is up to you. You can have everyone sign in with the information on the form on a piece of paper, and have someone designated to enter it on the website, or you can have everyone who attends the gathering fill out the roster on their phones, or you can do it on a laptop. It doesn’t matter, what matters is compliance.
2. Local shall be defined as a metropolitan statistical area. Even though there may be more than one local group in a MSA, meetings/practices/gatherings shall adhere to the 20 person limit. A list of MSA’s can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/…/List_of_metropolitan…
3. Permission need not be secured for local gatherings every time such a gathering happens. To require this will encourage noncompliance.
4. Unvaccinated persons must wear a mask. We are on the honor system, and there can be no asking or requiring of vaccination status. There can also be no SCA sponsored sales or giveaways of “I’m vaccinated” tokens of any sort.
5. There will be no buffet style or family style food, period. There will be no shared water containers, but a 5/10 gallon “Gatorade” cooler that is prefilled and which remains sealed is acceptable (for now – this may change after the July BoD meeting). If a person brings (for example) cookies to share, those who partake do so at their own risk, and any such sharing CANNOT be sponsored by the SCA or any of its groups, branches, or disciplines.
6. The following signage MUST BE POSTED at EVERY gathering, practice, meeting, etc. This is a BoD requirement.
Although the SCA complies with all applicable laws to try to ensure the health and safety of our event participants, we cannot eliminate the risk of exposure to infectious diseases during in-person events. By participating in the in-person events of the SCA, you acknowledge and accept the potential risks. You agree to take any additional steps to protect your own health and safety and those under your control as you believe to be necessary.
7. Groups need to be thinking ahead making plans for events that might happen after August 1. As KSen, I am prepared to grant limited variances to distance requirements in order for the Kingdom to get back on a “normal” schedule.
If you have any questions, you know where to find me 🙂
I remain, as always, in Service to Meridies.
Zayn al-Munajjima, called Mittens
Seneschal

COVID-19 Reopening Plan with new guidance

Greetings Meridies,
Since the country is slowly advancing from the pandemic and most (if not all) of the kingdom’s states opened in full, We believe, in the kingdom’s best interest, that the time has come to update the COVID-19 Reopening Plan with new guidance that will allow local groups to plan their activities with greater overall confidence.
After serious consideration and discussion, We are pleased to announce, beginning July 1, 2021, the entire Kingdom of Meridies will no longer operate under Phase 0 of the Reopening Plan. All groups will automatically proceed to Phase 1. This means that all Meridian local groups no longer need to track their counties’ COVID statistics. Gatherings of local groups, limited to twenty people, may resume for in person, daytrip activities.
Even as the outlook is bright, We are well aware that the Delta variant may still have a significant impact on our population. Furthermore, the upcoming holiday weekend may produce an unwanted spike in infection rates. Therefore, Meridies will remain in Phase 1 while We continue to closely monitor the variant to see if it proves to be a significant hazard. If so, We will meet again to strategize the most prudent steps to help manage the Kingdom to fully open. However, if vaccines prove effective against the various strains and the rate continues on a downward trajectory, We will once again consider adjusting all COVID restrictions.
We heard you, Meridies, and your frustrations in planning local activities and events beyond July. If all goes well, We will consider the following tentative plan effective August 1, 2021.
•Phase 2 new target rate will be 0.4 (increased from 0.3).
•Phase 3 new target rate will be 0.3 (increased from 0.2).
•Attendance may increase to 150 in Phase 3.
•Phase 4 new target rate will be 0.2 (increased from 0.1).
•Because Meridies has a small piece of both Florida and Kentucky, while Meridies operates in Phases 3 and 4, We will measure only the counties of Florida within Meridian borders (not the entire state). Our Kentucky populace members will refer to Tennessee state metrics.
Regardless of the phases, the following will remain in place.
•The mask mandate for unvaccinated members remains.
•All hygiene, safety, and food protocols remain.
•All groups MUST wait for a formal announcement from either the Crown or Our Kingdom Seneschal before advancing with any plans in August or beyond.
•All groups are required to maintain an attendance roster and secure permission for all in-person activities.
As always, in the best interest of the kingdom, this plan is subject to change at any time based on the state of the pandemic.
Yours In Service,
Timothy & Ysmay, King & Queen
Wulfstan & Thorkatla, Prince & Princess
Zayn al-Munajjima (Mittens), Seneschal

September 2020 BARONIAL BUSINESS MEETING MINUTES

02 September 2020, 1931

Notes submitted by Signora Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

THL Lucien d’Artois called the July meeting to order. Our Seneschal, THL Juliane de Vivonne, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Juliane read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)

  • Two new award recipients at the last court, Lilly and Aelfric.. 

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • Quarterly reports have been done.
  • Zero practices. And we will continue to not have practices until the end of January.

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Nothing new.

Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)

  • Nothing new to report

Reeve (Mistress Alessandra Giovanna Fioravanti)

  • Nothing new to report

Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)

  • We have stuff.

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz), Finnvarr mac Branain reporting

  • One person has expressed interest. I will be reaching out to the MoC because she has a small child. 

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Nothing new to report.

Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)

  • We have A&S
  • We had people that entered into the largess challenge for Foxes.
  • There will be a barony Largess challenge coming up
  • There are classes coming up this month, 
    • We have a DEI class this month
    • Our monthly class is Magic and Superstition.

Chronicler (Signora Aelia Bassina)

  • First issue of the newsletter will be 1 October.
  • I am still looking for articles to be included. 
  • Barony decals are still available. Please support the barony, they are only $5 each!

Social Media Minister (HE Emelina le Nourreys)

  • We have interest in Social Media.
    • We are going to change the approval process for FB.

Webminister (Captain Pietro di Conti)

  • Received request from Lord Freybjorn (a Kingdom Webminister Deputy) for officer information to set up email addresses on a new kingdom email server; he has asked for Seneschal to be single point-of-contact.  Kingdom Webminister’s office has indicated they will eventually want all officer emails to be on their server.  Freybjorn has followed up by sending meridies.org login information to seneschal.  He is providing email accounts for officers but not deputies.  These will be email accounts, not email forwarders to personal accounts.
    • All officers will have a new email address that they will need to check as the emails will not be forwarded to personal emails.
    • This is to keep the historical documents available for officers that follow the current officers.
  • Sent quarterly report to kingdom webminister.
  • Added a new profile page and award for Lily of South Downs.

Diversity Equity and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai)

  • Not much to report
  • We did a class last month with the corporate DEI officer. It went well.
  • We would like to see new people come in.

Her Excellency, (Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • Wistric is back as the Baron of South Downs!
  • We want to thank everyone for their support and patience.
  • We are committed in moving forward with the SCA Core Values.
  • Passions are high online, but the barony has been amazing at conducting themselves.
  • Please remember these de-escalation techniques:
    • As questions
    • Practice radical acceptance of other people’s feelings
    • Think about separating the action from the person.
  • Keep up with the radical accountability!

His Excellency, (Master Wistric Oftun)

  • I have always thought of the barony as my people.
  • You all have made us proud these last few months.
  • THank you to everyone that has been participating in the virtual activities.
  • It’s good to be back!

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing to report.

Seneschal, (THL Juliane de Vivonne)

  • There are still things going on, even in these unprecedented times
  • I have a deputy! His name is Nikolslov!
  • I still don’t have a provost. It’s a great way to dip your toe into becoming an officer. Please contact me if you’re interested.
  • There are two things I want to run. I want to start making announcements within the next week and a half.
  • South Downs is the innovative barony. 
  • Start thinking about Midwinter and if we want to do it online. I want this event to stand out.
  • I am really proud of everyone!

Recent Events

  • 15 August 2020 – Virtual Meridies Kingdom A&S
  • 22 August 2020 – Foxes 2020: Plague-Con

Upcoming Events

SCA Business

  • Raven: Back on the 15th of August, we had Artsy Crown. Several people from South Downs assisted. It went really well. We had 6 or 7 classes. Everything was zoom meetings. We had a really good turnout. Stella earned a perfect score and was recognized in Court.
  • Lily: I was wondering about the DEI office. Is it structured like the other offices? Is there a future plan?
    • Margavati: Right now, there isn’t. My thinking is that there would be some kind of change over the office. There are a lot of enthusiastic people in the barony that I think would do well in the position. If you’re interested, please message me.
    • Juliane: The way it works is there’s usually a two year tenure. Except in extenuating circumstances. Generally speaking, it’s a two year gig. When you sign up as a deputy, please remember that you are making that commitment for two years.
    • Margavati: Regardless, I could still use functionally deputies. I welcome the assistance. This is a new thing for local groups. I welcome all ideas. I’m really here to help educate people and advise the barony as a group.
    • Juliane: there was a misunderstanding on what the kingdom DEI office does. Please come to me if you have any questions.
  • Kalbardr: We are in week one of the mystery box phase. If you have one, please take a photo of your box and send it to me. 
  • Lyk: I would like to see event tokens for Castle Wars. Juliane agreed.
  • Margavati: I am purely tech support for a Grave finds video thing. If you want to, it’s basically you would have everything around you that would be taking with you to the afterlife. The deadline is September 18.
    • There was the suggestion for putting a trigger warning on the video since some people have lost loved ones during this pandemic.

Business meeting was closed at 2033.

Next business meeting will be held 07 October 2020, 1930, Zoom Meeting.

AUGUST 2020 Baronial Business Meeting Minutes

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

05 August 2020, 1931

Notes submitted by Lady Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

THL Lucien d’Artois called the August meeting to order. Our Seneschal, THL Juliane de Vivonne, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Juliane read the SCA Anti-Bullying statement and stated the meeting is being recorded.

Officers Reports

Herald (THL Lucien d’Artois)

  • We only had one award recipient this month, that would be Piers(Queen’s Rapier Champion).
  • We’ve had one name registrations.

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • Our Earl Marshal had put a notice on the kingdom page stating that there’s no in person events until the end of January 2021.
  • He also addressed unofficial fighter practice. Please be aware the SCA does not cover that so it would be on your own insurance.
  • Masks: just be prepared for when we come back together that we may have a mask mandate. It would be recommended to start practicing with a mask on.
  • New armored combat rules have been posted. No determinations have been made and probably will not be made for a while.

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Nothing new to add.
  • Echo what the Knight marshal said.
  • There is a virtual fighter practice Facebook group. Virtual academy of the rapier is another Facebook group that is available.

Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)

  • No report.

Reeve (Mistress Alessandra Giovanna Fioravanti)

  • We have money, we spent it on the storage unit.
    • We spend about 287 a month on the storage unit, paid through October.
    • If Midwinter doesn’t happen, we may need to think about alternatives. If it doesn’t, we run into the situation where we don’t have money for events.
    • We are not at panic level yet.
    • Red Tower is completely paid for.
    • I need a deputy!

Lady Mairghread suggested that we have a budget to see where all the money needs to be spent.

Quartermaster (THL Lucien d’Artois)

  • Fortunately, we have stuff!
  • Nothing else to add

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz)

  • There hasn’t been any movement as far as new members. I haven’t heard from anyone that someone approached them.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • No report

Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)

  • We have A&S!
    • There is an A&S exchange that was suggested.
    • Kingdom A&S coming up this month.
    • We have a couple of classes coming up this month.
    • Think about ideas for largess, it will be a competition with a prize.

Chronicler (Lady Aelia Bassina)

  • First issue of the newsletter will be 1 October.
    • I am still looking for articles to be included. 

Social Media Minister (HE Emelina le Nourreys)

  • Our numbers are up.

Webminister (Captain Pietro di Conti) – (Includes work done by both Zhelana and Pietro)

  • Added pronouns for Piers, Mairghread, Alisandre, Aelia, Wistric, Iastreb, Lorenzo, Zhelana, Raven.  Note: we will only add pronouns for people who ask.
  • Updated the picture for Sunneva on the Baroness page and her personal page.
  • Updated Aelia to be official chronicler, gave her access to the chronicler login.  Set up a temp login for Raven to post old minutes.
  • Added device, title, link to blog to Aelia’s page
  • New pages created for Danielle de Lyon, Anna Felice Tavestoche, Michael Stagge, Sara Wandrownyczka
  • Added classes taught to Zhelana’s page
  • Updated Google form to add pronouns to the question list, and to forward email notifications to Zhelana
  • Established succession plans for the Webminister office to hand over the office to Zhelana (the current Deputy) at Midwinter A&S 2021.  Had several discussions on the succession plan with Baroness and Seneschal.
  • Prepared Westminster job description.
  • Added Mark to the order of the Red Raven.
  • Added Finnbarr as deputy chatelaine.
  • Updated device on Mairghread’s page
  • Added Queen’s Rapier Champion to Piers’ page.

Diversity Equity and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai)

  • Class went really well last month. There were a bunch of conversations that happened after. WE are looking forward to the next class. I am trying to give people opportunities to talk as much as I can.
    • The Society DEI officer will be doing a Q&A, I will try to promote it in more places than just the barony. 
    • If you hear of things happening, please let me know.
    • Thank you to everyone that’s been so open and understanding.

Her Excellency, Mistress Sunneva de Cleia

  • Tonight would be midnight madness at Pennsic. Just like with what happened at Gulf Wars, there are merchants that are out there and posted. If you have coin, they have wares.
  • Earlier this week was SCA Social Media Appreciation Day. I want to give thanks for both Emelina and Isabella. Thank you to everyone that has been keeping the SCA virtual. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed.
  • Award recommendations. Please send them. I would love to recognize people. There is an award recommendation page on our site. Sending in the recommendations really helps me and the scribes.
  • Discussion Point:
    • The Heart of South Downs and the Chivalry Awards. A couple of people have reached out to me regarding this. There will be a committee. If you would like to be on that committee, please let me or Wistric. All opinions are valid.
    • I like mailing stuff. If you need a care package or a friendly note, please PM me your address.
  • Remember to lean on your SCA family if you need to. Also, if you need to step back, it’s okay. We will see you when you get back. Keep the people impacted by this virus in your thoughts.

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • No report.

Seneschal, (THL Juliane de Vivonne)

  • We’ve lost two people recently. They passed very suddenly.
  • In the last two days, we have heard of 3 people that have tested positive for COVID, one being our King. Please wear masks and be safe.
  • I had announced at the last meeting that we were reinstating the Provost position. It’s basically organizing classes, making sure registration is sent to RUM. Lord Kal has been wonderful in doing that for us. I would love it if someone would reach out to me in their interest. It’s a great position for someone new to the Barony.
  • The BOD has canceled events until the 31st of January. That is for anything in person. If you do anything outside the SCA, you cannot post it on any official SCA page.
  • For Midwinter, it is close to when they allow in-person again. However, I do not believe that Midwinter will be allowed to happen. It wouldn’t fit with the rollout plan for the Kingdom/Society.
  • The Law Committee. They are accepting new members. It will be a rotating people. They are accepting nominations and self-nominations. One from each peerage and two from the populace. If that’s something that interests you or if you know someone that would do a really good job (get their permission first), please let them know. They have been meeting Tuesday nights. 
    • Iazzie stated that most Kingdom positions are for 2 years.

Recent Events

Upcoming Events

  • 10 August 2020 – LGBTQ+ 101 with Lykania and Cellach
  • 12 August 2020 – Project Night
  • 15 August 2020 – Virtual Meridies Kingdom A&S
  • 19 August 2020 – Intro to DEI with Society DEI Officer Q&A to follow
  • 22 August 2020 – Foxes 2020: Plague-Con
  • 26 August 2020 – Class Night – Maedeup: Korean Knots with Myeong Su

SCA Business

  • Margavati: I taught a class over the weekend for Pennsic for the Courtesans. It was neat because each kingdom has a day. It’s a great way to learn stuff. Justina hosted Meridies for the whole day. They are going all war week. Kal has been provosting. Yay, Barony of South Downs! We rock!
  • Jay: Do we have any more info on Castle Wars?
    • Juliane: Sunneva and I need to get together to sort things out. We will get that rolled out sometime soon.
  • Margavati: My husband had a big bucket of bone black. He has more. If you need bone black for pigment, please let him know.
  • Margavati: Countess Gwen is doing a project. It’s a grave finds recreation thing. It’s a glow up focus on grave finds. I only know what I need to know. If you’re interested, she’s doing that. Information is on the Kingdom page.

Business meeting was closed at 2021.

Next business meeting will be held 02 September 2020, 1900, Zoom Meeting.