August 2023 Baronial Business Meeting

02 August 2023, Time: 7:32 PM EST

Notes submitted by Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong, South Downs Chronicler.

Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong called the meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Lady Raven Helmsplitter started recording the meeting and greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Lady Raven read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers’ Reports

Seneschal, (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)

  • RUM has happened, Pennsic is coming, Red Tower is coming, Castle Wars is coming. Heading to a very busy fall!
  • Officer positions are filling up, Thanks to Lord Eirikir and Baron Piers for setting up emails for officers, everyone should be set up with emails currently.

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)     

  • Magister Lorenzo: Been doing some consultations but nothing was submitted yet
  • Awards in South Downs at RUM: THLady Majda and THLady Alisandre – Red Raven, Baroness Laurettia – Kestral’s Talon, Lady Ogata – Baronial Award of Excellence, Valentina, Sumarlidi, and Karimatu the Wanderer – Award of Arms, Lady Ysabel – Meridian Cross, Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong – Court Barony.

Knight Marshal (Lord Eiríkr Pálsson)

  • THLady Mairghread: KM is at Pennsic, but we will still be having heavy practice for the next couple weeks, so come on out!

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Practices have been proceeding, weather and other events permitting.  Sundays starting around noon (concurrent with armored practice).  Schedule changes, cancellations, and any other relevant information is shared on the FaceBook group “Atlanta SCA Fighting,” and sometimes other locations depending on circumstances.  Loaner gear is usually available, but it doesn’t hurt to check the “Atlanta SCA Fighting” group in advance.  Sometimes when I’m not available, the “stunt marshal” might not be able to bring it.
  • This Sunday (8/6) and next Sunday (8/13), I will be attending the Pennsic War.  Our cadre of “stunt marshals” has been alerted, so practices will probably happen anyway.  Again, keep an eye on the FB group.
  • Shire of Owls’ Nest is holding Tuesday evening rapier practices at Swift Cantrell Park in Kennesaw.  Captain William posts on Atlanta SCA Fighting.  Athens School of Arms is not technically SCA, but is chock full of SCA rapier & C&T folks.  Athens School of Arms
  • As my mundane schedule gets even crazier, we’ve started a chat including every rapier marshal who might step in to fill those gaps.  Thanks to everyone for working together to keep practices happening.  I wouldn’t mind having a deputy step up who could take over from me in the not-too-distant future.
  • Big shout-out to folks recently giving rapier a try.  Looking forward to seeing more folks having fun!
  • Congrats to Conor Sofia on basic authorization, just in time for Pennsic!
  • Saturday, 8/26, there’s a Regional Fighter Practice at Fort Yargo State Park (https://fb.me/e/UiwfE6dO) and an InterKingdom BIRTHDAY BASH/fighter practice at Laurel Grove (https://fb.me/e/cuGfHkmfs). Both events promise to be awesome, simultaneously high activity (if you want) and low pressure.
  • Red Tower and Castle Wars are coming.  Look for more details of martial goings-on after your marshals return from Pennsic.  I would absolutely adore having another marshal to split and/or delegate duties to.
  • HYDRATE!

Live Weapons (Master Mathias Blackett)

  • We had thrown weapons practice, we had someone qualify for the Meridian Order of Weapons Master – Enzio Galente.
  • Date for the next Live Weapons session is TBD, potentially August 27th.

Exchequer (La Magnifica Justina di Silvestri)

  • $4432 in accounts
  • RUM numbers $1385 – gross from day-of Troll, total $1465 from paypal pre-reg , minus the paypal fee – $80. We have to split with Kingdom, so our total profit is $1385.16, minus $50 for the non-member fee, which we’re also splitting with Kingdom.
  • 282 total attendees, adult members –  255, adult non-members – 20, children – 7.
  • RUM: $150 budgeted for printing, but the total cost was over by $54. Total overall budget for the event was under the proposed event budget of $300, though. 
  • Vote brought up to approve overage, motion by Baron Piers and second by THLady Mairghead, vote passed and was approved.

Quartermaster (Maestra Isabetta de San Marco

  • We have stuff!
  • Looking for a new storage space
  • Still looking for a deputy

Chatelaine (Lady Ogata Mitsuko)

  • I have more information on a demo opportunity on September 16th, it is the Haralson County Annual Fried Pie Festival in Buchanan GA!
  • The festival goes from 9am to 4pm in downtown Buchanan. Please get in touch with myself or my demo deputy Lady Bu Feiyan if you’re interested in participating!
  • We also have a museum outing in the works, we’ll be checking out the High Museum’s exhibit on historic samurai armor and accoutrements! We are using a doodle survey to check off which days we are available. If you are interested in attending, be sure to check out the baronial discord server for that doodle link. I’ve personally been to the exhibit 3 times already and I am so hype for a 4th! I’ve also been advertising this to my friends outside of the SCA, so this is a great time to enjoy historic topics with some new faces.
  • I’d also like to give a big thank you to Sara Wandrawnyzcka for her gold key donation last month

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Nothing reported, but potential demos covered by Lady Ogata

Arts & Sciences (HE Rhiannon verch Madyn)

  • From the A&S side of things there’s nothing to report this month other than I still need a deputy.
  • The report is quarterly, through Google sheets and forms. Quick and easy, please contact me or Lady Raven if you’re interested in this officer position!

Provost (Lord Ælfric Hort)

  • This past month we had a good turnout for our monthly class night – History of Comedy with Master Mathias Blackett.  August’s class night will be August 23 via Zoom.  Mistress Christianna MacGrain will be back with us teaching “Medieval Flavors”
  • I currently have all Teaching spots filled for the remainder of the 2023 calendar year.  In the next week or so, I will be putting out the teacher sign up for Red Tower.  We will also need teachers for Castle Wars later in November, and of course I will need teachers again next year for A&S class goodness, so please get with me if you have any questions or want to discuss anything that you might want to teach in the future.

Chronicler (Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong)

  • The July issue of The Read Tower has been posted!
  • The August issue will be posted by the end of the week, but may be shorter than the July issue.
  • That said, I’m going to be collecting interviews from members of the populace for each issue, so please fill out this form to get included! Eventually I’d like to collect these into one PDF so we have a good collection of information about our members: https://forms.gle/MNxww3KUQJo2VsEG9
  • Please submit photos, art, articles, shout-outs, or anything that you’ve found interesting and want to share! I’ll always be collecting stuff for the newsletters going forward. You can submit either through this form: https://forms.gle/8SyEF9D7c8rMCnZP6 or email me at chron.southdowns@meridies.org.
  • If you’re going to Pennsic this year, please grab some photos for me and let me know what your favorite memory is from this Pennsic. I want to do a post-Pennsic “South Downs: On the Road Again” section for the September newsletter.
  • Baronial calendar will get integrated and posted/linked once I get back from Pennsic.

Social Media Minister  (THLady Agnes Halydaye

  • Nothing reported, but ramping up Red Tower social media.

Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging Officer (DEIB), (Lady Lily of South Downs)

  • On DEIB this month, still looking for teachers for a class on intercultural connectivity in period, specifically the Silk Road.
  • I’d like to thank my teachers from last month, Dorian, Alawyn, Sumarlidi, for the fantastic class on Quiet Spaces!

Webminister (Lord Eiríkr Pálsson)

  • Nothing reported

Minister of Children (Vacant)

  • Position is open, please talk to Lady Raven or Lady Una with any questions or if you’re interested
  • A background check is required for the position

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • This is our penultimate meeting with everyone! We’re going to Pennsic on Friday.
  • We really appreciate how the barony held together for the past three years during the pandemic and during our tenure.
  • Thanks to Myeong Su and the RUM crew for a great event. Congratulations to everyone who was recognized at RUM and we’ll see you at Pennsic or Red Tower!

SCA Business

  • RUM:
    • Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong:
      • Thanks again to everyone who helped with RUM! If you’d like to run RUM or have any questions, please feel free to contact to me at seongmyeongsu.sca@gmail.com
  • Castle Wars Bid:
    • Ysabel and Hessa have revised the bid for Castle Wars from before, revised budgets look good.
    • If anyone is interested in learning how to run an event, please contact Lady Hessa or Lady Ysabel so you can shadow and learn
    • Paypal fee line may be off on the spreadsheet, will check and edit
    • Macintosh may not require additional insurance, will check contract to confirm
    • Lady Hessa has talked to Ellawin about Equestrian
    • General budget may be used to cover emergency expenses, like ant killer, etc.
    • Mairghread made a motion to approve the budget, La Magnifica Justina seconded the motion.
    • Bid has been approved.
    • PDF of the bid will be passed around to the Financial Committee for signatures.
    • La Magnifica Justina made a motion to add $100 to the General Budget 
  • Red Tower:
    • Baron Piers: 
      • Site visit on the 12th, if you want to go, let me know so we can coordinate timing. 
      • THLady Mairghread may go to have a deputy marshal look at the field.
    • Lady Raven: 
      • Look at the parking situation for weekend parking. Check if they’ll allow for archery for the large field in the back.
      • Possibly look into using the field set up from Red Tower last year to see if we can set up the same way for this Red Tower.
    • Master Mathias: 
      • Magistra Mara will be taking over as live weapons marshal since Conor couldn’t get the weekend off.
      • Site tokens: get with Mathias to see if we have site tokens already
      • Quote 200 site tokens in just materials for fingerloop from Luke, $100 was budgeted for site tokens.
  • DragonCon:
    • Not doing anything for DragonCon as the Barony for the parade or demo table.
    • Lord Ælfric remembers someone mentioning a change for an onstage demo at DragonCon for 15 mins, may need to look into if there’s a post for that for more information.
  • Pennsic Meridian Hafla:
    • Acharya Margavati: If you’re going to Pennsic, Meridies is hosting a hafla on Tuesday night by the request of Her Majesty. If you’re available from 7pm-9pm on Tuesday to help setup or come afterwards to help cleanup, or want to volunteer for checking IDs, we’d love to have you, Meridian Royal Camp is in block N03. You’ll get free food (before everyone else!)
    • Party starts at 9pm, if you come before 8 to help direct traffic, it would be appreciated.

Non-SCA Business

  • None reported.

The business meeting was closed @ 8:25 PM EST

The next business meeting will be held on September 6th, 2023, 7:00 PM EST via Zoom Meeting.

Award of the Swift’s Heart Nominations now Open

It is time again for the populace to Award the Swift’s Heart!

For those unfamiliar with the Award of the Swift’s Heart, this is the award bestowed by the populace, given to those individuals identified by the populace who have shown true kindness, and are helpful, considerate, and inviting. It was created last year to take the place of our previous gendered populace awards, the Heart of South Downs and the Chivalry Award.

The award is given no more than once per South Downs event, preferably at the event. The ceremony for the awarding is arranged by the previous recipient(s) in consultation with the baronage. We have three baronial events, clustered from Sep/Oct to February, so at most three awards per Anno Societatis.

Voting for the award(s) is conducted annually, prior to Red Tower, and the granting of the award(s) spread out over the event season.

There are two steps to the process, Nominations and Polling.

STEP 1: NOMINATIONS (the thing starting now)

Nominations are now open and will continue through Wednesday, August 23rd (to give people at Pennsic time to participate).

Every member of the populace may nominate up to 3 other members of the populace. Previous recipients of one of the South Downs populace awards are ineligible:
Chivalry Award Recipients:
Swift’s Heart Recipients:
Justina di Silvestri, Ogata Mitsuko

Use this form to submit nominations:

If you’re unable to use the form, email the seneschal (sen.southdowns@meridies.org).

The results of the nominations will be received by a committee formed of the seneschal, incoming baronage, and at least two previous recipients of a South Downs populace award – if you’d like to volunteer to serve on the committee, please do so. (Wistric will be present to provide technical support since he came up with this probably over-complicated process).

STEP 2: POLLING

The committee will compile the nominations into a ballot. If you submitted a nomination, the ballots will be emailed to you at the email address on the nomination form. If you do not wish to nominate anybody, but do wish to receive a ballot, you can either submit a nomination form with the nominee names blank, or email the seneschal to let them know you’d like to participate in the voting.

Ballots should go out on or around August 28th.

Ballots will be emailed out to all who request them. Voting will be ranked choice (indicate 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc).

The committee will review and count the votes cast to determine who the populace wishes to see awarded, and the next recipient of the Award of the Swift’s Heart will be recognized by the populace at Red Tower.

July 2023 The Read Tower Newsletter is out!

Click here to read it:
07 July 2023 The Read Tower Newsletter

Submit your content to chron.southdowns@meridies.org to get included in the newsletter, and don’t forget to fill out the Kingdom content release forms so we can use your content.

Kingdom Chronicler page with release forms at the bottom: https://meridies.org/home/royaltyandofficers/chronicler/

Populace Interview Form: https://forms.gle/MNxww3KUQJo2VsEG9

Photography/Art Submissions: https://forms.gle/8SyEF9D7c8rMCnZP6

Looking forward to sharing your content and memories!

Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong, OL
Chronicler, Barony of South Downs

Looking for content for The Read Tower Newsletter

Hey South Downs! As the new South Downs Chronicler, I’m accepting content for our newsletter, The Read Tower from YOU!

Here are some forms that you can use to submit a little page about yourself so that the populace can get to know you and a form if you want to submit photos, artwork, or anything that you want to share with the barony in the newsletter!

Included in each form are the release forms from the Kingdom for photographers, models, and photos/artwork. Make sure that you fill those out so that we have permission to use your content. You can fill it out per piece or do a blanket release so you can do it once.

Populace Interview Form: https://forms.gle/MNxww3KUQJo2VsEG9

Photography/Art Submissions: https://forms.gle/8SyEF9D7c8rMCnZP6

I’m also accepting any articles from anyone! If you wanna write about a cool project that you’re working on, or how an event or experience was for you, or write up an article about your personal SCA rabbit holes and include resources to recipes, patterns, and photos! These articles can be longer, think magazine articles length, and you can submit those to me directly with a Google Doc instead of the form.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me! Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong – chron.southdowns@meridies.org

July 2023 Baronial Business Meeting

05 July 2023, Time: 7:30 PM EST

Notes submitted by Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong, South Downs Chronicler.

Magister Lorenzo called the July meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Lady Raven Helmsplitter started recording the meeting and greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Lady Raven read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers’ Reports

Seneschal, (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)

  • We have a busy fall with RUM, Pennsic, Red Tower, Castle Wars coming up., so keep your calendar open to help volunteer.
  • Discord server has been very active with lots of planning and activity. Join if you haven’t!
  • Officer positions are filling up, thanks to Baron Piers and Lord Eirikr for setting up emails and access.
  • If you need access to emails, please contact Lady Raven via the Seneschal email: sen.southdowns@meridies.org

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)     

  • Magister Lorenzo is covering tonight as deputy Herald.
  • If you haven’t registered a name or device, contact Magister Lorenzo and he will work with THLord Kurt for more information.

Knight Marshal (Lord Erikr Palsson)

  • We have been having practices.  It has been hot but people are still coming out. 
  • We have a Regional practice the day after RUM.  Site has been reserved.  Rapier and Heavy will be there along with YOUTH.  Jon Montgomery is bringing some loaner gear for the kids to let new kids give it a try.  If you have kids bring them or if you are authorized youth sparring please come out to give them someone to play with and learn from.
  • I will be going to Pennsic for my first time and will be there both weeks this year so I will need a Marshal to fill in for practices. (Lady Mairghread Wilson has volunteered to help, thank you!)

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Practices have been proceeding, weather and other events permitting.  Sundays starting around noon (concurrent with armored practice).  Schedule changes, cancellations, and any other relevant information is shared on the FaceBook group “Atlanta SCA Fighting,” and sometimes other locations depending on circumstances. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/259276954180390)
  • Shire of Owls’ Nest is holding Tuesday evening rapier practices at Swift Cantrell Park in Kennesaw.  Captain William posts on Atlanta SCA Fighting.  Athens School of Arms is not technically SCA, but is chock full of SCA rapier & C&T folks.  https://www.facebook.com/AthensSoA/posts/pfbid0Wy76Rze5Dy3SoGoRGpzx71VWwMm9mLUwmtUAM63gnyD5wiVATE5dL1ww659a5XnLl
  • Special thanks to Master Ximon, Lady Ogata, and Baron Piers for filling gaps in my ability to attend practices.
    • Taking item 3 a little further.  As my mundane schedule gets even crazier, we’ve started a chat including every rapier marshal who might step in to fill those gaps.  Thanks to everyone for working together to keep practices happening.  I wouldn’t mind having a deputy step up who could take over from me in the not-too-distant future.
  • We do currently have one more Rapier Marshal in Training.THL Pietro is on the track.  Having more marshals means more rapier activity  available for practices, demos, and events.
  • Big shout-out to folks recently giving rapier a try.  Looking forward to seeing more folks having fun!
  • Big thank you to Captain Rodrigo from Bryn Madoc for coming out to Sunday practice recently and facilitated several new authorizations.  More fighters means more people to have fun with!
  • Shameless plug for RUM, and our big practice extravaganza the following day.  South Downs fighter practice moves to Carrollton for that day.

Live Weapons (Master Mathias Blackett)

  • We are still searching for a new practice site. 
    • May start looking at the eastern side of Atlanta for practice sites, but would prefer the west side to keep it a joint practice with Owl’s Nest.
  • Current practices are still being held at Master Mathias’ house, focusing on thrown weapons right now until we can find a site that will accommodate archery.
  • Thrown weapons practice in June was well-attended with 6 people.

Exchequer (La Magnifica Justina di Silvestri)

  • We have $5,313.28 in our account,
  • Troll for RUM is still looking for 2 volunteers, it’s a super fun way to get to see everyone coming in to the event and If you have never worked check in, that is ok, I will train you and you won’t be on your own
  • A reminder that if you have any event expenses, please keep all receipts and be mindful of your budget and bring any concerns to Myeong Su or me and we can discuss them with the Financial Committee. We can’t guarantee you will be fully compensated if you go over budget and it also leads to delays in receiving your reimbursement

Quartermaster (Maestra Isabetta de San Marco

  • We have stuff!
  • Getting a new storage unit is current priority, will probably kick in after Pennsic
  • Still looking for a deputy

Chatelaine (Lady Ogata Mitsuko)

  • June has been interesting for the office of chatelaine, as we have at least two opportunities for demos
  • One of these would be through the Doraville Day Camp
  • I spoke to Crystal Dawson with Doraville Parks and Recreation and this is what we’re looking at:
    • A demo at the Doraville Day Camp would involve 60 campers ages 5-12
    • We have the option to do small group demos at an hour a time over several days or present to all 60 kids at once
    • Crystal told me the kids this summer have been receptive to presentations on medieval crafts, arts and sciences, and camp life. Although I pitched combat sports and live weapons demonstrations as possibilities, Crystal turned these down.
    • I’m assuming fighting and live weapons could be a little PG-13 for this group, but that’s okay.
    • I’m told they are a creative, diverse, energetic and overall excitable group, and that sounds good to me!
  • Additionally, we have another demo opportunity at a festival in West Georgia.
    • Maestra Dori Coblentz, a local fencing instructor with the Decatur School of Arms, recently put me in touch with a festival organizer named Caron Connelly.
    • This demo is an order of magnitude larger (apparently around 11k participants). I currently know less about this but I’m getting in touch with Caron today and tomorrow to ask questions
  • This is a heads up to Fru Arnora and Lady Bu that I’ll be cc-ing the both of you on these email chains
  • No dates for either of these demos yet

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Nothing reported, but potential demos covered by Lady Ogata.

Arts & Sciences (HE Rhiannon verch Madyn)

  • This month the A&S focus is on RUM. Please take advantage of the wonderful classes being taught by excellent teachers.
  • I’m looking for a deputy ASAP! Any interested parties please send me a Facebook  message. Supporting the arts and sciences is a great way to see what everyone is doing. Plus our Kingdom quarterly reports are super easy to do.

Provost (Lord Ælfric Hort)

  • This past month we had two classes offered.  15 people came to our monthly class night – Intro to Inkle Weaving with Master Ximon and 8 attended our bonus class night – Feast Appreciation with Mistress Christianna.  
  • July’s class night will be July 26 via Zoom.  Master Mathias will be teaching History of Comedy.
  • I currently have all Teaching spots filled for the remainder of the 2023 calendar year.  We will need teachers for Red Tower and Castle Wars later in the fall, and of course I will need teachers again next year for A&S class goodness, so please get with me if you have any questions or want to discuss anything that you might want to teach in the future.

Chronicler (Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong)

  • Settling into the Chronicler position, got access to the email, website login, and Kingdom Chronicler group. Will strive to post meeting minutes by the first Friday of the month to the website.
  • Will be working on articles and content for The Read Tower, anything from articles to event recaps or photos and shout-outs! 
  • Send content to me at chron.southdowns@meridies.org to get included in the newsletter.
  • Will set up a consent release form for content for the newsletter.
  • Hoping to get a mailchimp or something similar out so people can sign-up for emails with the newsletter.
  • Will get with officers to help kick off a Baronial Google Calendar to help keep track of all the things we’ve got going on.

Social Media Minister  (THLady Agnes Halydaye

  • Nothing reported, but our Discord is active and growing!

Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging Officer (DEIB), (Lady Lily of South Downs)

  • Amazing class last month for our first in-person DEIB class with Lady Mitsuko and La Magnifica Justina di Silvestri!
  • I am working on the DEIB class for this month and I posted to the Discord to see if I can gather some panelists. If I can get at least a couple of people to participate, then we will have a class on “The subtle impact of quiet spaces” on the 12th.  If I can’t find anyone then we’ll probably need a backup activity.
  • I didn’t see the info about the RUM post mortem, when I started planning things, so I thought the date would be for the 19th. That gives me a little less time to hunt for participants. Still, I will do my best to make this work. I’ve already reached out to my fellow Meridies DEIB folks, though I haven’t heard back yet. I’ll keep the barony informed of my progress with the class. Thanks again for all you do. 

Webminister (Lord Erikr Palsson)

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Looking for a deputy as she has stepped down, but will stick around until we find a new officer.
  • Plan is to have a joint effort at RUM for children’s activities

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • If you’re not busy with RUM or Pennsic prep, please jump on storage unit sites and see how much 250 sq ft will cost near you
  • If you’re new and want to volunteer for a position or job, please feel free to jump in and go for it! The barony will support you!
  • Actively looking for retainers for RUM to help with Carver since he will be at RUM. Anneliese will be posting a link soon once the schedule is set.
  • This is the second to last court before they step down at Red Tower, so we hope that you can make it!

SCA Business

  • Royal University of Meridies (RUM)
      • We’re 10 days out from RUM! I’ll be going to the storage unit sometime this weekend to pick up a few things, mostly toilet paper, check-in materials, and boards for the schedules.
        • Will pick up water coolers and cups for outdoor classes and regional FP on Sunday
      • If you need anything from the storage unit, please let me know before this weekend.
      • Dame Sibella posted a draft of the schedule yesterday, and we’re working on getting it in the database and changing the formats for large posters.
      • Always need volunteers for unloading teacher materials and help getting them into their classrooms.
      • Will work on scheduling the performance before court to start when court is scheduled to start.
  • Red Tower
      • Thanks to everyone who volunteered, within four days we have all the staff positions filled for the event!
      • Fundraiser lunch in Southern Consortium, right of first refusal
      • Mathias will try to do a site visit sometime soon.
        • Questions about site for parking and big field for use for archery/live weapons/martial activities.
  • Castle Wars
    • Bid in progress with Lady Hessa and THLady Ysabel
    • Current bid is looking at using McIntosh as the site.
    • Hoping to get the bid in to review by July 19th.
  • Printify shop profits have come in for April and May, we’ve made $148.48! Myeong Su will get a check to La Magnifica Justina soon.
    • Will be working on more designs too, most likely after RUM.
  • Storage Unit
    • Current unit is 20×20, cost is over $500 a month right now
    • Possible to pay a month ahead of time, or try to negotiate advertising or get someone to help us out as a non-profit
  • Supper Club – Lady Maryam
    • Thanks to everyone who came out to Supper Club!
    • We’re going to try to make this a more regular thing
    • If you are interested in potential themes, let Maryam know! She’s trying to get the next date together for the next session.

Non-SCA Business

  • The High Museum has a Samurai Exhibit from June 23rd to Sept. 17th. Go check it out!

The business meeting was closed @ 8:31 PM EST

The next business meeting will be held on August 2nd, 2023, 7:00 PM EST via Zoom Meeting.

January Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

04 January 2023, Time: 1930

Notes submitted by Baronessa Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Master Mathias called the January meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Lady Raven Helmsplitter, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Lady Raven read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers’ Reports

Seneschal, (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)

  • In-person meeting space through the end of June 2023 has been set up at Doraville Civic Center.
    • 1/18
    • 2/22
    • 3/22, 3/29 (5th Wednesday!)
    • 4/19, 4/26
    • 5/3 (in-person business meeting with a test for streaming), 5/17, 5/31 (5th Wednesday!)
    • 6/21, 6/28
  • The Barony is expecting to submit a bid for RUM to fulfill our obligations to the kingdom; we will have a second business meeting (virtual) on 1/25 to discuss and vote on the bid. Bids for RUM are due by 1/31.
  • I’ve uploaded a PDF of the photos and notes I took during Ximon’s and my site visit to Indian Springs State Park (where Red Tower 2023 will be held) to the Barony’s FB group.

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)     

  • Nothing to report.

Knight Marshal (Lord Eirikr Palsson)

  • Heavy practices are back on.  
  • We didn’t have any the last 2 weeks due to Christmas and New Years’ day.  
  • Practice on the 15th will be covered by THL Margheraed so no loaner gear will be available as I will be at panhandle skirmishes.  
  • I will also be looking into a substitute marshal for the 29th so I can attend war college.
  • There will also be a Regional Figher Practice the weekend of Midwinter.

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • HAPPY NEW YEAR!  Seems like the holiday season took a bite out of our practice routine.  Probably a healthy thing…
  • Work is a bit more manageable for me right now, but I will continue to need help making sure that a marshal is present for practices.  Anxious to be getting back in the swing of things myself.  Thanks to all of our Barony’s rapier marshals for stepping in as needed.
  • Otherwise, practices proceedeth apace, weather permitting. 

Live Weapons (Master Mathias Blackett)

  • Current plan is to have our January practice this coming Sunday, 1/8.
  • Weather may be a factor. If we are rained out, I will push it to the next week.
  • Society has started coming down with score sheets for thrown weapons. They are still working out a couple of the kinks, but I will see if we can get some interkingdom challenges going at practice.
  • If you’re interested in sharp, metal things flying through the air, please come to practice.

Reeve (La Magnifica Justina di Silvestri)

  • Not much new this time! Our current bank account has $7,581.89, but considering checks pending deposit, the balance in our ledger is $7,010.02 as of the end of December. 
  • With the new year comes a new annual budget, which we discussed last meeting, so if you have any questions or if you are an officer that has approved expenditures, please reach out. SCA-rs is now officially retired, we are back to PayPal for pre-Registration, which will be available shortly for Midwinter.
  • The 2022 “Doomsday” report (Q4 fiscal year-end report) is due at the end of this month. If you have any outstanding business with SD, it will pool over into the 2023 report. 
  • Again, please let me know if you have any questions about this process.

Quartermaster (Mistress Isabetta de San Marco

  • We have stuff!
  • Will work out a time with Margavati to get things out for Midwinter.

Chatelaine (Lady Ogata Mitusko)

  • I want to draw attention to just one major item of interest – Atlanta Comic-Con is happening on the weekend of February 24th at the Georgia World Congress Center.
  • In between holiday madness, I’ve been talking to the organizer, Croix Provence. She is offering us an exhibition hall at 3.5k sq ft for demos and panels, as many tables and chairs as we need, a breakout room for our volunteers, and space on the con’s promotional material.
  • I cannot understate that she is VERY interested in drawing Scadians and making this as frictionless as possible.
  • This really feels like the holy grail of face-to-face interaction with engaged nerds in the metro Atlanta area
  • However, what sucks is that many of us in the fencing community will not be in town to help make that happen because that weekend is also MCA.
  • So, I’ve reached out to a couple of other officers in the barony as well as some of our neighbors in Tir Briste and Depedale to see who’s available to participate and, most importantly, who’s interested in leading a demo.
  • From where I’m sitting and what I’m looking at, Atlanta Comic-con is looking like a very large, very accessible, and very visible empty box that we can fill with any tournaments, classes, panels, and demonstrations that we want.
  • As far as I understand, Atlanta Comic-con draws a more local crowd than DragonCon. So the vibe seems to be like Conjuration Con or Anachro Con, both of which have been historically key demo opportunities for us. This would be on an even bigger scale.
  • If you are interested in taking the reins on this demo or otherwise helping out, please do reach out to me ASAP
  • Just as a reminder, Atlanta Comic-con is the weekend of February 24th.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Nothing to report.

Arts & Sciences (HE Rhiannon verch Madyn)

  • Our Midwinter A&S event is just around the corner. 
  • The Facebook Event page has been updated with a link to pre-register A&S entries. I highly encourage folks to do this as it will help with the setup of the room.
  • As usual we will have tokens, probably large beads, that will be available so the attendees can vote for their favorite entry.
  • There will be sheets/booklets available for each of the entries so that the populace can leave remarks. I’m really hoping that the attendees will take a moment to let the artisans know what they liked about each entry. Positive feedback can be so important for artisans who have put time and energy into a piece.

Provost (Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong)

  • I hope that everyone had a great and safe holiday!
  • Class this month will be a virtual Commedia class on January 25th with Master Mathias.
  • We’re looking to start filling the monthly classes for this year, so please reach out to me or Lord Ælfric if you’re interested in teaching.

Chronicler (Baronessa Aelia Bassina)

  • The newsletter, The Read Tower, will be published this month. I’m just waiting on one particular article.
  • That being said, if you have an idea for an article, please email it to the chronicler email address.
  • Tonight is my last night as your Baronial Chronicler. I have resigned to our wonderful seneschal. If you have an interest in what it takes to be the Chronicler, please reach out to Lady Raven. 

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr & Lady Agnes Halydaye

  • Nothing reported

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Lily of South Downs)

  • I’d love to have suggestions for anything you guys would love to do. I’m a sponge for your suggestions.

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna)

  • Created MWAS Webpage

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing to report.

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • Not a lot from our end. We are looking forward to Midwinter.
  • Wistric shared the Procedure for Succession of the Baronial Seat. The document is available on the baronial FB page.
    • Vote was approved to adopt. Forwarded to Kingdom Seneschal. 

SCA Business

  • Midwinter A&S status
    • Thank you to everyone for your patience. 
    • We’ve started taking class submissions for Midwinter, contact me or use the Google Form posted to the Barony’s FB page or the Midwinter Event page if you’d like to teach!
    • Justina is looking to get a Paypal link for pre-reg.
    • Piers has agreed to be our set up and tear down guy.
    • I have a bunch of positions already filled, thank you, everyone.
    • Rhi is running the faire. Please go sign up.
    • I’ll post positions that need to be filled on the FB page.
    • Please consider signing up for a troll shift.
    • So far we’ve got a track of Commedia classes with an Iron Commedia session with Master Mathias and a Leather Carving and Tooling class from our own Thedomir (TJ) but are looking for more!
    • There will be no food vendors on site due to restrictions. I have posted information on how to get food.
    • Schedules will be posted as soon as we finalize them. 
  • RUM Business
    • I’m currently working to put together a bid for RUM this year July 15th at the University of West Georgia, hoping to have a bid ready later this month to present to the Barony so that we can meet the bid submission deadline.
    • Please let me know if you’d be willing to help in any way for the event!
  • Post-mortem of Castle Wars
    • Thank you to everyone who helped with CW. We’ve heard so many people say it felt like we’ve finally gotten back to SCA wars.
    • All positions were filled. It was amazing. 
    • We did have one incident, it was an aggressive dog. The dog was removed by the owner. No one was harmed.
    • There was a snafu with the High Table silverware. We need to do a better job of keeping track of that. We need to do inventory. 
      • Who is responsible for setting up the High Table? Unknown who set it up. 
      • It was suggested that the royal liaison be responsible for taking things out of and putting things back into the totes.
      • An event quartermaster?
      • There is an inventory list on each tote when it’s taken out of storage.
    • Justina: One thing I strongly suggest is to have an info point near troll, but not at troll. When troll is busy, it can be too hectic if people are coming up and asking questions about things going on at the event.
      • Maybe have a board for posting updates near troll.
        • Brendan: There are also a lot of people who turn off their phones at events (If I weren’t marshaling, I’d be one of them).  Paper and voice heralds are still a thing.
      • Pocket Herald may be an option as long as there is signal at the event.
    • Myeong Su: If you took classes and want them registered for RUM, just let me know and I can check your entry and add it to the system!
    • This was the first time we used the Boy Scout camp. Their rates have increased from a flat rate to a per person/per day rate. We did not make as much money this time at CW because the cost for the site was about $1k more than it had been in the past.

Non-SCA Business

The business meeting was closed @ 2058.

The next business meeting will be held on 01 February 2023, 1930, via Zoom Meeting.

DECEMBER BARONIAL BUSINESS MEETING

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

06 December 2022, Time: 1930

Notes submitted by Baronessa Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Lady Bú Feiyan called the December meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Lady Raven Helmsplitter, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Lady Raven read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers’ Reports

Seneschal, (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)

  • Discussion of how many in-person meetings we should have in 2023. Each meeting space rental at Doraville Civic Center is $100 (for 2 hr rental). The financial committee recommends keeping our current schedule and revisiting it in June once we better understand our financial situation.
    • 2x/month (current schedule)
    • 3x/month (all except business meetings)
    • 4x/month (as in the before times)
  • SCA business
    • Post-mortem of Castle Wars
    • There has been some interest in submitting a bid for RUM 2023 (14-16 July), which is great as we need to submit a bid for a KLE for 2023.
    • We have reserved Indian Springs State Park for Red Tower 2023 (8-10 September). So if you’re interested in event stewarding Red Tower, you don’t need to find a site.

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)     

  • We have a bunch of people that got awards recently. Unfortunately, my list is still packed up in my Castle Wars stuff because I went back to work. I would like to be very happy about all the people that got awards. 
  • I would like to know what everyone would like to learn about heraldry so I can try to drum up some classes for us.
    • Master Mathias suggested a class on how to make your own personal heraldry and/or voice heraldry class. Or, showing the different ways to display heraldry. 
  • I am still looking for a deputy.

Knight Marshal (Lord Erikr Palsson)

  • We’ve been having a lot of practices. Last practice, we had 3 new people in loaner armor. The time before that we had 2. This month we will not be having practice on Christmas or New Year’s Day.

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • No report was provided.

Live Weapons (Master Mathias Blackett)

  • Sharp pointy things have been flying through the air. The next practice will be held this upcoming Sunday, depending on the weather.
  • Live weapons at Castle Wars went very well. We were able to get a bunch of people qualified for second-class Weapons Master. 

Reeve (La Magnifica Justina di Silvestri)

  • No report was provided.

Quartermaster (Mistress Isabetta de San Marco

  • Nothing to report

Chatelaine (Lord Ogata Tarō Hiroyuki)

  • November was absolutely packed for activities
  • We had a ton of newcomers attend Castle Wars!
  • This is mostly an extended thank you to everyone who helped our newcomers feel at home that weekend in November
  • At the moment I’ve lost count of the exact numbers, but I know it was definitely over 8 because that was how many feast kits we gave out. Shout out to Mistress Andriette for providing us with those melamine feast kits for newcomers. And a special shout out to Seong Daegam for being ahead of the curve in that regard and for just being a really well-organized camp lead.
  • In the weeks before Castle Wars, I had been closely monitoring our Gold Key inventory to make sure we had enough cloaks…and then about 7 newcomers came out of the woodwork in the week before.
  • I would like to thank our neighbors in the Shire of Tir Briste for loaning us a surplus of cloaks to ensure our Gold Key was well-stocked for the day. If you see Dikon de Stokke, thank him because he handled that really well at the last minute.
  • I have made a budget request, which was approved and which I used to purchase a small roll of fleece. I’ll use this to make new cloaks and reinforce some of the lighter ones we have on hand, just in case we get slammed by newcomers at next year’s Castle Wars.
  • Interestingly, we had one newcomer from Tir Briste who had been trying unsuccessfully to establish contact with her local group and the kingdom chatelaine. And then her post kind of blew up on an unofficial known worlde discussion page on Facebook. Although we did not meet personally during Castle Wars, rest assured I caught up with her online and she reports that she had a really good time and everyone was nothing but nice to her the whole weekend. She has since been put in contact with her local group and she has the correct email for the kingdom chatelaine.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • I am working on finalizing the date in January. Once I have that, I will post it to our Facebook pages to find out who is available. That is the only demo I am working on right now.
    • Raven made a suggestion to request people from some of our neighboring groups.

Arts & Sciences (HE Rhiannon verch Madyn)

  • This month at Castle Wars we held the Baronesses Challenge A&S competition. We had a pair of beautiful entries. Both deserved recognition and we awarded prizes to both. The theme of the contest wasn’t really met, but we’ll keep trying until Meridies catches on to the format of the Baronesses Challenge.
  • Midwinter is just around the corner and I’m really excited since this will be the first in-person Midwinter since Covid.  I’m hoping South Downs shows up in a major way for both the A&S competition and the Faire. At Magna Faire this last weekend there was a category for “Anything Tudor” and I’m looking to do the same type of thing. So whichever bid is chosen, I’ll be reaching out ASAP to find out what the theme is so I can start schilling it up. Also, I’d like to encourage folks to teach a class if you’re interested. It’s a great way to share your Art or Science as well as help South Downs shine.

Provost (Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong)

  • No classes this month for the holidays! Hope everyone has a great holiday and we’re looking to start taking class sign-ups for next year. Master Mathias has offered a Commedia class for the January class night, so be on the lookout for more details.
  • I’d like to give a shout-out to THLady Isabella Parr for teaching two classes this past weekend at Magna Faire: Tudor History 101 and Gable Hood & Codpieces: Navigating the World of Tudor Fashion! Both were wonderful classes and her first time scheduling classes at an event!
  • If you took classes at Magna Faire and would like RUM credit for them, please let me know! I have a Google Sheet that I’m collecting the info in so I can update the RUM website.
  • Midwinter business:
    • Going to start taking classes for Midwinter soon, so think about what you’d like to teach!

Chronicler (Baronessa Aelia Bassina)

  • Exciting news! The Read Tower will be back for the 4th quarter of this year. Please consider writing an article, even if it’s only a paragraph. Your contributions really do help.  It can be as simple as your most recent event experience, or your favorite memory. As of right now, I have two articles.
  • Please remember to get your officer reports to me prior to the start of the meeting. If you can’t provide it before then, please get them to me as soon as possible. It is often hard to understand everyone in a Zoom meeting, especially being hearing impaired. 

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr & Lady Agnes Halydaye

  • There’s been some renewed interest in having a discord group. I should have that set up shortly. Other than that everything is going well.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai & Lily of South Downs)

  • Nothing to report

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna)

  • Updated Seong Myeong Su’s page
  • Updated Raven’s page
  • Updated seneschal page links
  • Updated Castle Wars Page
  • Update from HE Piers
    • Distribution lists have been created for events so we no longer need to use personal email addresses.
      • Redtower@meridies.org 
      • MidwinterAS@meridies.org 
      • Castlewars@meridies.org

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Castle Wars went well. We didn’t have any kids in the morning. (It was cold and I wouldn’t have wanted to get out of bed either). The adults outnumbered the kids in the afternoon, but we all had a lot of fun anyway.

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • We don’t have much to say. We’ve had a great event season. We’re very excited about how Swift’s Heart has progressed. 

SCA Business

  • Discussion and voting on Midwinter bids – listed in order of receipt:
    • Piers and Aelia
    • Margavati and Sabine (this bid won!)
  • The Castle Wars post-mortum will happen next business meeting
  • If you are interested in doing a demo at the Atlanta Comic-Com, please let Ogata know!
  • Party at Their Excellency’s house for the Baronial Holiday Party.

Non-SCA Business

The business meeting was closed @ 2059.

The next business meeting will be held on 04 January 2023, 1930, via Zoom Meeting.

NOVEMBER BARONIAL BUSINESS MEETING

02 November 2022, Time: 1931

Notes submitted by Baronessa Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Master Mathias Blackett called the November meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Lady Raven Helmsplitter, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Raven read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Seneschal, (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)

  • Tentative meeting schedule for November – please keep an eye out on our FB group for the final schedule:
    • November 2 – Business meeting (virtual)
    • November 9 – TBD (virtual)
    • November 16 – TBD (in person); this is also the last meeting before Castle Wars
    • November 23 – Thanksgiving eve, no meeting
    • November 30 – TBD (in person); this is also technically a 5 th Wednesday, so… potluck?
    • Note: we have no in-person meetings scheduled for December, due to everyone’s schedules over the holidays
  • Meeting schedules for 2023 – I will submit my budget and reserve meeting space for 2023 soon. Now that we’re having events (and income), we can consider adding more in-person meetings, noting that each 2hr meeting reservation is $100. Discussion for the populace – should we:
    • Continue with our current schedule (2x/month virtual, 2x/month in person, with the 5th Wednesday’s in-person)
    • Add one more in-person meeting/month (leaving just the business meetings virtual)
    • Change back to the Before Times schedule (all meetings in-person)
  • Red Tower was an excellent event – everyone had a great time and it was good to be back together in person. More details from the stewards later on in the meeting.
  • Castle Wars is coming! The Event Stewards will share their status report later in the meeting.
  • We have secured Indian Springs State Park for Red Tower 2023, with a new date of 8-10 September 2023. Master Ximon and I toured the site last week and were impressed with the facilities there. I will set up a photo album on the baronial FB group so everyone can see the pics I took. 
  • Still looking for bids for Midwinter A&S, scheduled for February 3-6, 2023. If interested, please contact Raven or Their Excellencies.
  • Reminder – As a barony, we are required to submit one KLE (kingdom-level event) bid per year, so we should start looking at something to bid on for 2023. Available bids for 2023 are the following – if you are interested in submitting a bid on any of these, please contact Raven or Their Excellencies:
    • Less than 6 months out, so bids are encouraged ASAP:
      • Spring Coronation (31 March – 2 April 2023)
    • Events 6-12 months out:
      • Spring Crown/A&S (“Artsy Crown,” 26-29 May 2023, Memorial Day weekend); Please note that if no bids are submitted for Spring Crown/A&S, the Kingdom Seneschal may decide to drop the A&S part of the event as Crown Lyst (and Coronation, for that matter) is required to happen. If this happens, then Crown Lyst will be a minimal event.
      • RUM (14-16 July)

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)     

  • No report was provided.

Knight Marshal (Lord Erikr Palsson)

  • No report was provided.

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Preparations are underway for Castle Wars.  Rapier’s schedule is attached.  Communicated with Event Stewards re logistics.
  • Could use volunteers on Thursday of CW to build the castle.
  • I’m out of town until the Wednesday evening before CW, so practices will be handled by Celebrity Guest Stunt Rapier Marshals.  Please be kind to them.

Live Weapons (Master Mathias Blackett)

  • No report was provided.

Reeve (La Magnifica Justina di Silvestri)

  • As of Oct 31, 2022, South Downs has $6,396.31 in the bank.
  • Vote

Motion vote on the Head table feast gear Myeong Su discussed last month, requesting a $225.10 budget to cover.

  • SCARS

Society is phasing out SCA Reg sys version #1- no new events past Winter Market will be through SCARS while a new system is set up. In the meantime, we will go back to PayPal for online registration

  • Budgets

If baronial purchases are made, the pre-approved budget needs to be adhered to as closely as possible. If it is not feasible to make needed purchases within budget, please consult the event steward or financial committee before making purchases. Unauthorized overages are not obligated to be reimbursed.

  • Annual Budget meeting

This Sunday, the financial planning committee is going to meet to discuss the 2023 baronial budget, if you have any budget requests for baronial expenses, please let me know by the end of this week. We will also be discussing the financial policy, and both should be ready for a baronial vote at the December business meeting

Quartermaster (Mistress Isabetta de San Marco

  • We have a new unit and we have stuff.
  • Inventory load up for castle war is Nov. 16th at 4 pm

Chatelaine (Lord Ogata Tarō Hiroyuki)

  • No report was provided.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • No report was provided.

Arts & Sciences (HE Rhiannon verch Madyn)

  • No report was provided.

Provost (Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong)

  • No class nights for November and December for the holidays. Thank you to everyone who has taught this year virtually and in person and kept activities going in the Barony! This a reminder that I will be handing the office over to Lord Aelfric at Midwinter, so please treat him well as your new Provost when the time comes! 
  • If you’re interested in teaching in 2023, we are taking early class sign-ups! Reach out to me or Lord Aelfric and we’ll get you on the schedule.
  • Still taking some classes for Castle Wars, but the slots are filling up. Reach out to me if you’re interested in teaching! I will be closing the form for sign-ups by the end of this week/beginning of next week so we can finalize schedules for the booklet.

Chronicler (Baronessa Aelia Bassina)

  • Exciting news! The Read Tower will be back for the 4th quarter of this year. Please consider writing an article, even if it’s only a paragraph. Your contributions really do help. If If you have something longer, I would love that as well. It can be as simple as your most recent event experience, or your favorite memory.

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr & Lady Agnes Halydaye

  • No report was provided.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai & Lily of South Downs)

  • No report was provided.

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna)

  • Updated CW page

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • I’m going to write the schedule for children’s activities this week/weekend and so far it’s going to be Myndee, me, and probably one other person running activities.

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • No report was provided.

SCA Business

Non-SCA Business

The business meeting was closed @ 2107

The next business meeting will be held on 06 December 2022, 1930, Zoom Meeting.

October Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

05 October 2022, Time: 1931

Notes submitted by Baronessa Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Master Mathias Blackett called the October meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Lady Raven Helmsplitter, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Raven read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Seneschal, (Lady Raven Helmsplitter)

  • Tentative meeting schedule for October – please keep an eye out on our FB group for the final schedule:
    • October 5 – Business meeting (virtual)
    • October 12 – Theodosia Colloquia, hosted by La Magnifica Justina di Silvestri (virtual)
    • October 19 – Scribal night (in person)
    • October 26 – either a  Halloween potluck or A&S class on period gems (in-person)
  • Still looking for bids for Midwinter A&S, scheduled for February 3-6, 2023. If interested, please contact Raven or Their Excellencies
  • Reminder – As a barony, we are required to submit one KLE (kingdom-level event) bid per year, so we should start looking at something to bid on for 2023. Available bids for 2023 are the following – if you are interested in submitting a bid on any of these, please contact Raven or Their Excellencies:
  • Less than 6 months out, so bids are encouraged ASAP:
    • Meridian Challenge of Arms (24-26 February 2023)
    • Events 6-12 months out:
    • Spring Coronation (31 March – 2 April 2023)
    • Spring Crown/A&S (“Artsy Crown,” 26-29 May 2023, Memorial Day weekend)
    • RUM (14-16 July)

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)     

  • Still looking for a deputy. If you’d like to try out Heraldic stuff Castle Wars is coming. We will need lots of voices!

Knight Marshal (Lord Erikr Palsson)

  • Red tower was good, we had three tournaments.
  • Two new fighters got authorized at Red Tower
  • This weekend there will be heavy practice
  • The next weekend we will need someone to step in as I will be at War of the Wings
  • I appreciate all the help people gave at Red Tower.

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Castle Wars!
    • Plans are underway for a Friday night fundraiser tourney and melee games on Saturday
    • The re-boot of our castle is underway.
  • Practices continue, Sunday afternoons and Tuesday evenings.  This leads to…
    • My work is increasing again for the fall season.  I’ll need help making sure that our official SCA practices have adequate marshaling and gear management.  Please contact me if you are willing and able to help cover when my slack butt can’t be there.
    • I am currently expecting to be traveling almost constantly from this coming Monday until Castle War.

Live Weapons (Master Mathias Blackett)

  • No official practice was held due to Red Tower
  • The new Baronial Archery Champion is Lord Ælfric Hort
  • The next official practice will be held on Sunday 10/23.

Reeve (La Magnifica Justina di Silvestri)

  • Our Current bank balance is $9,617.52
  • We have moved to a new storage location… literally a few units down from our old one, but the cost is $407 instead of $583, so we will be saving a substantial amount. Thanks so much to His Excellency Wistric for securing that for us, and to everyone who was able to help move everything. Thanks to Mark Baron for allowing us to have the previous unit- the old unit is closed and everything is transferred.
  • The financial planning committee will be meeting on November 6th to discuss the 2023 budget and there will be a baronial vote on December 7th. Officers, please submit your 2023 budget before then, and also everyone who may have suggestions or requests for baronial purchases, let me or any of the officers know and we will be sure to discuss it in the November meeting.
  • I want to look into adding a cash advance request form to our current baronial financial paperwork to keep things tidy
  • Next barony meeting, I would like to have a quick review with everyone about budgets and how they function in correspondence with bids and the reimbursement process.
  • Castle Wars SCArs application is in- thanks for your patience as these applications go through for preregistration, they go through a lot of hands to help make things smooth, and you will be able to pre-register soon. If you don’t want to wait, you can mail a check to the barony PO box listed on the event flyer with your reservation names and contact information as well as membership numbers and expirations.
  • Red Tower #s
    • Profit: 620.97
    • 172 in attendance
    • Including 28 newcomers and 18 children

Quartermaster (Mistress Isabetta de San Marco

  • We have stuff and it moved!
  • We have new inventory sheets printed and ready for Castle Wars.
  • The measuring wheel is missing from the inventory. If anyone knows where it may be, please let me know. We may need to think about replacement.

Chatelaine (Lord Ogata Tarō Hiroyuki)

  • So we have newcomers!
  • At Red Tower, I met Claire Metzler who had previously contacted us over email. Although I had to run back to the kitchen, I left Claire and her boyfriend in the hands of Duchess Gwen. I caught up with them again recently and (good news!) they both had such a blast that they’ve got Castle Wars on their calendar.
  • Potentially, we’ll see more of Claire and her boyfriend at our weekly meetings once she’s finished up her midterm exams.
  • Additionally, our newcomers are taking on some pretty exciting roles in our community!
  • First, I want to tell you about Lola Eichler’s interest in archery and in teaching. These are two things I’ve always seen her closely associated with, so it was really cool to see her sign up to teach about Mongolian-style archery at Red Tower! Unfortunately, I was in the kitchen all day and Lola had to leave before I could catch up with her. From what I understand, the class went really well and she’s absolutely interested in doing it again sometime!
  • Also, Maryam al-Jawhariyya (MKA Katie Earles) stepped in at the 11th hour to serve up breakfast at Red Tower featuring a stellar bread pudding. And then she was insanely helpful for the rest of the day while I stumbled through my first feast. I can only keep so many plates spinning in the kitchen at once, but she was right there ready for anything I threw at her. Also, she gave me a preview of her historic gemology class on the drive to Red Tower, so y’all are in for a treat when that rolls around.
  • I think Lex technically lives in Bryn Madoc, but we can take credit for her as long as she continues gracing us with her awesomeness! As Lady Una pointed out, Lex put together a program on Chinese culture for the children’s track at Red Tower. Also, she was behind the Chinese Lion Dance performance at Coronation. She and Brecht performed as the Lion with Tryggvi accompanying on percussion.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Nothing is currently scheduled. Still waiting for a few groups to get back to me. Will update the Barony when that happens.

Arts & Sciences (HE Rhiannon verch Madyn)

  • Currently not a huge amount going on in my area. Many thanks to Tami and anyone else who helps schedule classes! Y’all ROCK!
  • Gearing up for the first Baroness’s Challenge A&S competition that will be held at Castle Wars. I’ll be reposting my original FB posts about it as well as schilling it up in other posts. I’m really hoping some folks from the Barony will enter.
  • As always please remember to post your A&S work on our Baronial spreadsheet. Those entries help show how talented our Barony populace really is.

Provost (Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong)

  • This month’s schedule looks like:
    • Tonight (10/5): virtual business meeting
    • 10/12: virtual – Theodosia Colloquia
    • 10/19: in-person: Scribal Night
    • 10/26: In-person Halloween potluck?
  • We are looking for classes for Castle Wars. Please look for the sign up.

Chronicler (Baronessa Aelia Bassina)

  • Exciting news! The Read Tower will be back for the 4th quarter of this year. Please consider writing an article, even if it’s only a paragraph. Your contributions really do help. If If you have something longer, I would love that as well. It can be as simple as your most recent event experience, or your favorite memory.

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr & Lady Agnes Halydaye

  • Made castle war event page and we still got social media!

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai & Lily of South Downs)

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna)

  • Updated seneschal to Raven
  • Updated km to Eirikr
  • Updated chatelaine to Ogata
  • Updated RT page
  • Updated Castle Wars Page

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Red Tower went great and a shoutout to Lex for putting it all together even though she couldn’t be there. She’s a newcomer and didn’t have to jump in this hard, but she has and it has been wonderful to have her help.

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • Send in award recommendations!
  • We now have 1500 baronial business cards printed and ready for you to distribute to members of the unsuspecting public! Come get some at in-person activities and spread them far and wide
  • Thank you to everyone who made Red Tower awesome. We heard “It’s like the good old days” and “it’s like the SCA is finally back” from so many people and that is a result of the deeds of the people in the barony. Congratulations to our new champions! Heavy – Mairghread Wilson; Rapier – Piers Simmons; Archery – AElfric Hort
  • We were thrilled to see the new populace award given out at feast at Red Tower. Thank you to everybody who participated in the nomination and voting process. Thank you to Raven, Iazzie, and Mairghread for deciphering the vote results. Thank you to Sabine and Red for making the beautiful regalia. Thank you to everybody who participated in the ceremony at feast – it was magical.
  • We’ll be going to Danelaw in style – day shades, banners, and all, to celebrate their Nextellencies of Bryn Madoc. We welcome you all to join us under the day shade and on a retainer shift throughout the day.
  • The baronial succession policy is 11 years out of date and no longer reflects the actual polling process. A draft updated baronial succession policy will be posted to FB and the website for feedback from the populace – please take a minute to review and point out any issues you notice.
  • We are planning to host a baronial holiday party Saturday, December 17th at our house in Clarkston. Stay tuned for more details.
  • Send in award recommendations!

SCA Business

  • Red Tower
    • Thank you to everyone that helped out. Thank you for being a fabulous team. We are back and solid. It was heartwarming to me when I was told it felt like the good ole days
    • Do you have any comments? What worked? What didn’t?
    • Tables and chairs for scribal. Cushions for troll would be greatly appreciated.
    • If more people could help with set-up it would be greatly appreciated.
    • The porta-potty company we had canceled on us two weeks before the event. One of the bathrooms was out of service, so the site covered 2 of the 4 were covered and didn’t have to come out of budget.
    • We would need new walkie-talkies because the ones we had didn’t reach from the hall to the field.
    • Maybe set up a paige program for the older youths to help with running things around the site (messages and such), and then another site runner for someone that could go off-site if needed.
    • Moving more things to the field will help with folks who have a difficult time physically (or time constraints) for the walk back and forth.
    • Having a quiet space in the hall was a good thing. The quiet space was awesome. I didn’t think I’d want it until I wanted it, and it was much appreciated!
    • I seem to remember we had an event once where there was a volunteer lottery at the end, where volunteer time earned you tickets to the lottery, and the prizes were donated by the populace.  Something like that might avoid drama about comping some people and not others, paying out of SCA funds, etc.
  • Castle Wars
    • Eirikr found bronze Roman Coins. We could give each person one when they troll in. That way as people move through time, they start in Rome.
    • Our feast is built that way as well. https://www.facebook.com/events/832349081259578/permalink/847750956386057
    • We are looking for a few people to volunteer as well. 
      • Nasty-crat
      • We need someone to do a fundraiser lunch. If you know anyone willing, please send them to Piers.
    • Piers did talk to SCARs deputy. We are just waiting on the Kingdom to approve it.
    • We can actually be on site the Wednesday before (the 16th). I would like to do the set-up as early as possible on Thursday.
    • More than likely, we will be getting things out of storage on Wednesday.
  • Zimon
    • I had asked about doing a silent auction fundraiser. It would be for the MoB for tournament prizes and to put money back in our coffers. We wanted to have a memorial shield tree for fighters that are no longer with us. I’m gathering stuff for the auction so if you have anything you would like to donate, please let me know. I’m going to start in the next week or so to put something together. 
  • Raven
    • I will post the screenshot about Gulf Wars and post it on the baronial site. The great news is that we will have Gulf Wars at the site in the years coming!

Non-SCA Business

  • Ælfric
    • There is a medieval faire in Brazelton this weekend. I will post a link on the Baronial page.
  • Ogata
    • Recently, Lola had some surgeries lately. She is strapped for cash. If you are able to help, please do so.

The business meeting was closed @ 2107

The next business meeting will be held on 02 November 2022, 1930, Zoom Meeting.

Medieval Recreation in Atlanta, GA