April 2024 Baronial Business Meeting

3 April 2024, Time: 7:36 PM EST

Notes submitted by Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong, South Downs Chronicler.

Magister Lorenzo called the March meeting to order.The Seneschal Lady Raven Helmsplitter, started recording the meeting and greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Lady Raven read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers’ Reports

Seneschal, (Lady Raven Helmsplitter

  • Schedule for this month:
    • Apr. 10th: online project night
    • Apr. 17th: in-person dance class by Magister Lorenzo
    • Apr. 24th: in-person class night – Archery 101 Discussion by Lord Ælfric
  • Thanks to La Magnifica Justina and Seong Daegam for covering for me last week

Herald (Magister Lorenzo Petrucci)     

  • A little consultation with some people for submissions.
  • Awards:
    • Gulf Wars – Bram Halfdannarson received Stallion’s Blood

Knight Marshal (Lord Eiríkr Pálsson)

  • Have been having practices, weather is getting hotter so drink water before practice too to hydrate
  • Lady Mairghread has agreed to help cover practices this month since it’s event heavy
  • Looking for a deputy to take over at some point

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  1. Practices have been proceeding, weather and other events permitting.  Sundays starting around noon (concurrent with armored practice).  Schedule changes, cancellations, and any other relevant information is shared on the FaceBook group “Atlanta SCA Fighting,” and sometimes other locations depending on circumstances.  Loaner gear is usually available, but it doesn’t hurt to check the “Atlanta SCA Fighting” group in advance.  Sometimes when I’m not available, the “stunt marshal” might not be able to bring it.
  2. BTW, “Atlanta SCA Fighting” is still visible publicly and searchable, but is now “Private” to keep the bots out.  If you have any trouble at all finding practice announcements, feel free to reach out directly to me or Ld. Eirikr.  It should be readable to anyone, but you’ll need to join in order to post.
  3. Thanks to everyone for working together to keep practices happening.  I wouldn’t mind having a deputy step up who could take over from me in the not-too-distant future.  In the meantime, my continued thanks to our celebrity stunt marshal team, particularly Ldy. Ogata, Master Ximón, Master Nikoslav, et. al.
  4. Big shout-out to folks recently giving rapier a try.  Looking forward to seeing more folks having fun!
  5. Meridian Challenge of Arms was successful.  Congratulations to Master Ximón on his elevation to the Order of Defense and Ldy Ogata  on her induction to the Meridian Order of the Blade.  Barons Mark de Wytteney and Piers Simmons were the Royal Family’s choices to be included in the MCA Championship.  Well done everyone!

Live Weapons (Master Mathias Blackett)

  • Busy this month with events
  • Working with Mistress Peryn to figure out schedules to use her farm for a practice site
  • North pasture of the farm is vacant
  • Equipment is currently being stored at the farm

Exchequer (La Magnifica Justina di Silvestri

  • $4624.62 in account
  • Waiting for Midwinter check from Kingdom
  • Still waiting for confirmation that we can add Lord Salim to the bank account
  • Storage for April is paid
  • Will be starting Q1 report soon
  • Huge shout out to Lord Salim for helping get our paperwork all squared away
  • As always, books are transparent, so if you have any questions, please ask!

Quartermaster (Maestra Isabetta de San Marco

  • We have stuff, the new storage unit looks like it’s working out pretty well
  • Still needs to be organized, but will need to set some time aside to do so
  • Still looking for a deputy

Chatelaine (Lady Ogata Mitsuko)

  • No Gold Key at Coronation, but Gold Key should be at Fool’s War

Demo Deputy (VACANT)

  • Nothing reported

Arts & Sciences (Lady Maryam)

  • Not much to report this month
  • Project and dance nights have been going wonderfully well
  • Looking forward to ArtsyCrown and Red Tower for A&S things
  • Keep doing what you’re doing, you may get a shout-out to in the quarterly A&S report!

Provost (Lord Ælfric Hort)

  • April Class night will be April 24.  This will be in person at the Doraville Civic Center.  Our class will be Archery 101 with a focus on terminology and basic archery concepts taught by Lord Ælfric.  This will be a lecture and Q&A style class – I will have items on hand to look at and help illustrate the discussion, but due to location, there will be no live demo shooting.
  • I am still looking for classes and teachers for most of the rest of the year – July, August, and October.  Please reach out to me if you have something you would like to teach or if you have any suggestions for class topics that I might be able to request teachers to provide for us.
  • Lord Sumarlidi is now the deputy for Provost

Chronicler (Seong Myeong Su Daesaseong)

  • Nothing new to report.
  • Always looking to interview the populace for each issue, so please fill out this form to get included! Eventually I’d like to collect these into one PDF so we have a good collection of information about our members: https://forms.gle/MNxww3KUQJo2VsEG9
  • Please submit photos, art, articles, shout-outs, or anything that you’ve found interesting and want to share! I’ll always be collecting stuff for the newsletters going forward. You can submit either through this form: https://forms.gle/8SyEF9D7c8rMCnZP6 or email me at chron.southdowns@meridies.org.

Social Media Minister  (THLady Agnes Halydaye

There once was a group we call South Downs

They made right side smiles from flipped down frowns

They gather in the ether

’cause they can’t always be thur

It’s a sociable space with much renown!

  • (Nothing special to report)

Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging Officer (DEIB), (Lady Lily of South Downs)

  • Nothing currently planned
  • Want to figure out if people would want dance this month or a DEIB class this month
    • Will work with Magister Lorenzo to figure out how to plan for DEIB and dance classes

Webminister (Lord Eiríkr Pálsson)

  • Nothing significant to report.  
  • For future events and needed updates please email me those to the web.southdowns@meridies.org email or use the request update link on the webpage.
  • Acharya Margavati is now the deputy for Webminister

Minister of Children (VACANT)

  • Position is still open, if you are interested, please contact Lady Raven.

Their Excellencies, (Maestro Ximon Cordoba de Martillo & HE Rhiannon verch Madyn)

  • Ximon and Rhi
    • RT 50 planning
      • Putting together notes and will send them out based on the last meeting that we had for RT 50 planning
      • Working on ideas on how to honor the Red Ravens and token/fundraiser ideas
      • Going to put ideas together in a document to discuss and vote on
        • Feel free to send me emails or messages with ideas
      • If you’re coming to Coronation, please come by and hang out with us
        • THLady Alisandre will be providing a hospitality table, come eat some of her yummy food
        • Bringing the wing instead of the Baronial pavilion, so look for the green and white stripes
          • Lady Mairghread will be getting the walls out of the storage unit on Wednesday evening, please come help to move them out of the storage unit if you can
      • Fool’s War
        • If you’re coming to Fool’s War, please come help with the castle walls

SCA Business

  • Fool’s War
      • Sumarlidi
        • If you’re camping with South Downs, please sign up to bring food for camp so we can make sure that we have enough food for camp
          • Check out the sign up sheet on the FB encampment page or the discord
      • Baron Ximon
        • He will be taking a protege in camp at Fool’s War
  • Trimarian Dance Event
      • Halfdan Eldinghogg
        • June 15th, daytrip event in Jacksonville, FL
        • Event will be hosted by the most northern barony of Castlemere
        • Will be willing to split funds with SD, just asking for SD to send teachers for the event
        • Primary focus on the event will be the ball at the end of the day, but there will be courtly gaming classes and performance things through the day
  • Royal University of Meridies
      • Sumarlidi
        • Staff sheets should be going out for sign-ups on Sunday afternoon, please keep a lookout for that
          • Will have more information on staffing needs after this weekend
          • Remember that we need to get the ad together for Pop Chiv by May 1st to hit the deadline
  • Red Tower 50
      • We’re still working on finding a site for the event
        • Looking at Little Tallapoosa Park in Carrollton, still have a few questions that we need to hear back from
          • Need to find out about equestrian and archery, open fires, etc
        • Also looking at Camp Lumpkin, boy scout camp in La Grange
          • Some regulations with Serv-safe certifications to be able to run the kitchen
          • Still need to go down to take a tour of the site
        • Possible hour-long Commedia show in honor for Red Tower 50
          • Would like players from SD in the show, please let Master Mathias know if you’re interested in participating
  • Castle Wars
      • We currently have Camp Bert Adams reserved for Castle Wars in Covington GA in case the future event steward wants to use it
  • Bardic Madness Deepsouth
      • May 4th 2024, hosted by Barony of Castlemere in Jacksonville, FL
      • Star Wars themed event
      • Free event with fundraiser lunch
      • Will share flyer to the barony page
  • Kingdom Webminister
    • We currently don’t have a Kingdom webminister, please contact Majster Nikoslav to apply

Non-SCA Business

  • Patrick Wade suddenly passed away in December and there will be a Memorial Service on Thursday April 11, 2 PM at United Methodist Church, 85 W Church Street Jasper, GA. 30143.

The business meeting was closed @ 8:30 PM EST

The next business meeting will be held on May 1st, 2024, 7:00 PM EST via Zoom Meeting.