April 2022 Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

06 April 2022, Time: 1930

Notes submitted by Signora Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Master Mathias Blackett called the April meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Nikoslav read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Seneschal, (Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich)

  • Raven announced as Deputy Seneschal
  • Call for Red Tower Bids, 5 months out from the event. Last call for bids before per policy Baronials will make a bid. In 4 months their bid will be accepted if we don’t get a different one.
  • Discuss and vote on RUM Bid
    • Unknown if RUM would be handling teachers’ gifts or for South Downs. Typically handled by RUM deans.

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)     

  • Please check our website to make sure that all of your Awards are reflected. 
  • Still looking for a deputy

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • Mask & contact tracing has been dropped for now.  Vax checks are still required for GA, however.  Please be flexible as COVID rates may change and procedures may be put back into place.   Please be respectful of others’ choices if they choose to wear a mask or social distance.
  • Deputy KM now has loaner gear and will take over the office around 15 May 2022 with the new heavy reporting cycle.  My warrant is good until July, and I will be available to assist with transitioning if needed.
  • Upcoming practice considerations: This time of year practice is weather permitting; be aware last-minute cancellations may happen.   
    • 4/3/2022 – NO Practice (Coronation)
    • 4/10/2022 – NO Practice (Fool’s War)
    • 4/17/2022 – NO Practice (Easter)
    • 4/24/2022 – NO Practice (Lemonade Days at the Park) or look at an alternate location (Blackburn)? 
    • 5/1/2022 – Practice
    • 5/8/2022 – Depends on interest level (Mother’s Day)
    • 5/15/2022 – Practice
    • 5/22/2022 – Practice
    • 5/29/2022 – NO Practice (Artsty-Crown)

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Practices have been sporadic of late, primarily due to event activity (Hooray for the return of in-person events!)
  • My work schedule will make my ability to attend scheduled practices uncertain for the next few months.  Any warranted rapier marshals who are able to help as celebrity guest rapier marshals for our practice, please contact me.  We will need your help.
  • Also, no warrant is required, but it would be much appreciated if someone could coordinate our loaner rapier gear over the next few months as well.
  • The search for a deputy/replacement for my position continues.

Live Weapons (Master Mathias Blackett)

  • The next practice will be held on Sunday, April 24th.
  • Ælfric is having his marshal tournament this weekend at Fool’s War, so we should be up to 4 warranted LW marshals in the barony after that.
  • For those interested, I will be looking for a new MIT once Ælfric is a full-fledged marshal.

Reeve (La Magnifica Justina di Silvestri)

  • We have $9,093.86 in the bank
  • March expenses were the storage space- still looking for a new storage site as the rate will go up in 2 months and thrown weapons supplies.  Arrows, axes, and knives from the Live Weapons budget totaled $191.48. The remaining approved budget for Live Weapons is $108.52
  • Q1 2022 is due at the end of this month. I will be following up with folks on any outstanding business as I am moving all digital records to the kingdom Exchequer Drive.
  • I am looking for a deputy! If you find office management and spreadsheets fun, this is a really satisfying office to hold and an important one to the Barony! If you have any questions please let me know.
  • A reminder, there is a new process for reimbursement. If you have NEW barony purchases to request, please fill out a Purchase Request Form. If you have receipts for already approved purchases (such as budgeted expenses and approved bid event expenses- NO personal purchases may be on a receipt!), please fill out a Check Request Form. I am happy to help with these forms if needed. These forms are very helpful with record keeping and financial transparency.  

Quartermaster (THL Isabetta de San Marco

  • We have stuff still, it hasn’t been touched.
  • I will also start looking at storage units. I will look around Atlanta. If you have any near you, please let me know.

Chatelaine (Lord Ogata Tarō Hiroyuki)

  • The number of chatelaine things happening has ramped up /significantly/.
  • If you all remember Lisa Rogers from Coronation, it was her first event. I was fencing for most of the day, but I caught up with her during the Rose Ball and afterward on the ride home and I’m pleased to report that she enjoyed herself!
  • Yesterday I got confirmation that we have two newcomers attending Fools War this weekend. So everybody I’d like to introduce you to Lola and Johann.
  • Lola and I are getting to the site together on Friday. Johann will be arriving on Friday as well, probably later.
  • My plan is to do some site touring with these two before fencing starts up on Friday, then help get camps set up before Friday Night Fights. If you’re unfamiliar, Friday Night Fights is basically the WWE of combat sports in the SCA.
  • Interestingly, we received an email from another prospective newcomer Devin Roark. They’re very interested in attending some of our upcoming meetings and in-person events. Right now our contact has been limited to an email thread, but I’ve suggested they get set up with a Facebook account to keep up with the Barony and Kingdom pages as well as news on events.
  • Additionally, I’ve got a little update on the Gold Key. Since the last meeting, Nikon has generously laundered and packed up everything he had been storing at his house and moved it to Majda and Justina’s house. This is not Gold Key’s final resting place, just a temporary location while we settle on a date to get it cataloged and stored more appropriately.
  • Nikon was able to get everything laundered and packed up, it’s currently residing at Majda and Justina’s house.
  • I’m heading over there tomorrow to get things for Lola and Johann. Majda and I are also settling on a day to get everything cataloged and photographed.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • I am working on setting up demos. 
  • Currently, in the process of making a list of all of the places we would like to have demos. Please feel free to contact me if you have suggestions. 
  • Also, let me know if you’d like to be part of the demo team.

Arts & Sciences (HE Rhiannon verch Madyn)

  • Please enter your A&S activities into our tracker. A link will be posted on Barony’s FB page.

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • Class this month will be Old English Pronunciation Basics by Lord Ælfric Hort.
  • I’d like to say thank you to Magnifica Justina di Silvestri for hosting the Theodosia Colloquia last month because it has helped fill our class schedule out to August!
  • We’ve got lots of interesting classes coming up. If you’ve got a class that you want to teach, please let me know! We’ve got a few slots still available and would be happy to have you teach!

Chronicler (Baronessa Aelia Bassina)

  • Still in need of a deputy. If you know anyone who may be interested, please direct them to me.

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr & Lady Agnes Halydaye

  • Nothing to report. We have social media.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai & Lily of South Downs)

  • DEI class this month is DEI and the SCA (Applying Corporate DEI to the SCA), taught by Omokehindegbegbon Ayoka of the Opo, called Kehinde

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna)

  • Corrected spelling of chatelaine deputy email
  • Added all awards from MCA
  • Changed Isabetta’s title
  • Changed LW officer
  • Linked to updated forms on reeve page

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing new to report.

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • We are sorry we can’t join you all tonight.
  • Congratulations to all who were recognized at Gulf Wars and Coronation – this barony and her members continue to shine. Another great achievement was Mariana’s feast at Coronation, which is being praised far and wide. 
  • We’ll see you at Fools War, where we will have the Baronial day shade set up. 
  • Thank you all, as always.

SCA Business

  • Mairghread
    • It has been brought to my attention that I am trying to sabotage Isabetta’s event bid. I would like to set the record straight, I think she is doing an amazing job at autocrating.
  • Ogata
    • If anyone needs Gold Key, please tell me before 2pm tomorrow (04/07/2022). If you don’t, I can’t promise it will be at Fool’s War. 
  • Justina
    • Thank you to everyone that helped with my elevation.

The business meeting was closed @ 2003.

The next business meeting will be held on 04 May 2022, 1930, Zoom Meeting.