June Baronial Business Meeting

South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

01 June 2022, Time: 1932

Notes submitted by Lady Raven Helmsplitter, stunt South Downs Chronicler.

Master Mattias called the May meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Nikoslav read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Seneschal, (Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich)

  • If anyone has not seen it, he posted the info about the meeting space and schedule options
  • After talking with the officers, we’re looking at adjusting the in-person schedule to maximize time together and minimize costs.
  • Multiple options are shared online, all at the previous Doraville location
  • Doraville – not that much different in cost compared to other locations, and the contract is easier (other places need a new contract for each meeting)
  • Mathias said he’s a fan of having the business meetings online (because he loves Justina’s pie charts). Makes it easier for everyone to attend, even if they’re working or out of town
  • Online accessibility options are another advantage
  • Perhaps we can do dinner after project night instead of business meetings, to maintain community (Yeoung Su)
  • Emelina is really excited about having project nights in person – it can be difficult to work on projects while trying to participate online
  • Señor No commented that ongoing Zoom meetings outside of work is discouraging. Nik replied that this can always be revisited once we start getting $$ in after Red Tower/CW
  • Yeong Su mentioned that it’s been really hard to find suitable locations that are cheaper
  • Nik said that next Wednesday is potentially open in Doraville – we could start with the Option 3 schedule beginning 6/8. He’ll check with Doraville this week and see how far in advance we can schedule our meetings there.
  • Storage unit search is ongoing. Nik is checking out every public storage space in metro Atlanta. Justina said the current price is $466/month (?). Staying with Public Storage is good because we can pay at any location. Looking for a 20×20. We either need to move or get the price sorted out by the end of June – price increases in July. The budget has already been approved
  • Castle Wars bids – Nik posted on the FB page. No site yet, no theme yet, so completely open.

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)     

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson) who 

  • Nothing new (new Knight marshal)

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Thanks to Master Wistric and Master Ximon for covering practices while I’ve been away on business trips.
  • We have a couple of new fencers that I’ve barely had a moment to meet.  Perhaps Ld. Ogata can make those intros for us.
  • Ogata and Pietro seem well on their way to getting marshal’s warrants, which will help make South Downs Rapier more accessible.  Huzzah!

Live Weapons (Master Mathias Blackett)

  • Last month’s practice went well – 20 people showed up
  • Agnes qualified for 
  • Donated arrows for youth archery
  • One more person qualified for 
  • One more person qualified for axes and spears
  • The next practice held on 6/19 – yes, it’s father’s day but that’s the date that’s available
  • Roice (sp?) is going to work on youth archery, which is really needed in this kingdom

Reeve (La Magnifica Justina di Silvestri)

  • The RT deposit check was lost, but Isabella was able to secure the reservation and she was reimbursed for the $675. The remainder will be due at the event.
  • The site fee has an additional $100 in admin fees and taxes, bringing the total to $1350, and the barony will vote to approve. Populace approved.
  • The original check has had a stop payment placed, the fee for that is $36. The Financial Committee has approved this expense and as it is under $50 does not need a populace vote at this time.
  • New checks have been ordered, the cost is $112.35, previously approved in the reeve annual budget.
  • June was the last month of the cost increase for storage, so storage fees increase to $466/mo starting in July

Quartermaster (Mistress Isabetta de San Marco

  • Nothing new
  • We have stuff
  • Trying to find a new place to store our stuff – the best deal she can find so far is a 10×30 for more $$ than what we’ve got currently

Chatelaine (Lord Ogata Tarō Hiroyuki)

  • I’ve also completed a Gold Key Donation intake document in the form of a Google survey and I’ll be getting in touch with our web minister to have that added to the Chatelaine page
  • Also uhhhhhh, we have more newcomers than I ever expected
  • Lola, Giovanna MKA Armena, Maryam MKA Kaity, Sein, and Red, and Laura McWhorter had a pretty solid time at ArtSci Crown. I could say that I had an enjoyable weekend, which could be the end of the report.
  • However, at different times this past weekend, our newcomers approached me in confidence to tell me how they were personally affected by casual discrimination and bigotry.

I don’t think we’re going to solve systemic bigotry once and for all in a single zoom meeting. What I would like to do right now is repeat some advice that Kehinde had during their class on Diversity Equity and Inclusion in the SCA.

Most of us don’t have bystander intervention training.

If someone approaches you to talk about a time they had to deal with bigotry, or even if they’re being targeted that way right in front of you, the best thing you can do is check in with them as a first reaction. Offer to get them out of the situation if that makes sense, listen to them sincerely, and trust them to tell you what they need at that moment.

I know the first reaction for some of us is to step in with dramatic, romantic gestures and promises about how we will act on their behalf. On some level that makes sense, a lot of us have this image of a knight as someone who steps in to defend the weak and take on any challenge no matter how great, and… you get the idea.

But that’s just one example of knightly behavior.

Instead, I think we could all stand to practice grace by asking our friends what they would prefer to have happen to resolve what they’re going through.

Also like, I know we’re getting a lot of newcomers and it may be hard to tell who is who.

What I would offer as a solution is some solid advice that was already offered by one of our newcomers.

Rather than asking “Hey are you this person?” try introducing yourself and then asking their name. Or, if they’ve already told you and you’ve forgotten, you can even try “Would you mind telling me your name again?” I guarantee, that someone will be way more forgiving of forgetfulness than casual discrimination.

Even if you’re 100% sure and you’re confident that they are who you think they are, the worst case scenario is you’re wrong and now somebody has been reduced to a category rather than being seen as an individual.

  • I hate the idea of ending this with something like “we can do better” and I would prefer to say something more concrete.
  • However, in the interest of time, I’m going to end it there by saying I trust y’all.

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Nil sent Bú and Ogata an email about a potential demo at a school
  • Holy Spirit prep 7th-grade history teacher looking for fighters and C&I in Dec/January. More info to follow

Arts & Sciences (HE Rhiannon verch Madyn)

  • No report

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • Class this month will be virtual and is How to Read Music by Noble Cellach ingen Oengusa. They will be moving to Boston, so they can only teach virtually this month. It is currently set for June 22, but I plan on talking to them in case the meeting schedule will shift things around. If we start with in-person this month, we’ll need to reschedule the June class since it will need to be done virtually. So – if you have an in-person class you’d like to teach, talk to Myeong-Su
  • Switching hats from South Downs Provost to Dean for RUM – Get your classes submitted for RUM by June 15th! We’re hoping to have a virtual track so you can teach even if you’re not going to be able to make it to the event. Use this form to submit your classes.

Chronicler (Baronessa Aelia Bassina)

  • Still in need of a deputy. If you know anyone who may be interested, please direct them to me.

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr & Lady Agnes Halydaye

  • Isabella says we have social media, nothing else to report

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai & Lily of South Downs)

  • Thanks to Ogata for his comments/advice about casual bigotry
  • Thanks also to everyone who was supportive and to Lily who spoke up when the situation needed 
  • Might be a good time to revisit our class on microaggressions and unconscious bias – often people are not trying to be malicious, they just need guidance
  • Moving DEI classes to every other month will definitely make it easier to prepare/plan and advertise classes
  • Working with kingdom to develop reporting processes
  • Thanked everyone in the group for the work y’all are doing. Despite things we’re still working through as a kingdom, we worked really hard to be welcoming and inclusive

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna)

  • Added chatelaine (demos) to help wanted page.
  • Zhelana is also looking for a deputy

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing to report

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • Sunneva shared Wistric’s notes which she then attempted to decipher
  • We’re doing RUM, which means Baronial Court, which means they need recommendations. Recommendation forms are online, but if you find it intimidating, just text their Excellencies. They want to know!
  • Since we’re ramping up in-person events, we’re looking for retainers/courtiers. Hang out with TE in shifts, help out, etc. Great job for newcomers, very low-key gig (other than for feast or court).
  • Looking forward to meeting everyone in person again 🙂 we miss that!
  • Let’s continue the lovefest!
  • And say hello to newcomers!

SCA Business

  • Red Tower
    • Isabella – need volunteers – many hands make light work
      • Merchantcrat
      • Event Steward
      • Nastycrat
      • Fundraiser lunch (Mattias mentioned that Excelsior would likely love to do this)
    • Going to do a passport – get stamps for taking part in activities, raffle basket giveaway at court. Need donations for raffle basket
    • Margavati asked about whether we’re still doing pavilions – maybe not? But we’re looking at a pavilion for an SCA swap in addition to the merchants
    • The Grand Bazaar is the event theme. Mattias discussed ideas for LW targets that would reflect the theme and not be cliche
  •  RUM
    • Isabetta is still looking for 2 people to be runners – need a person on each floor that teachers can access for help
    • Looking for a royal liaison
    • Looking for someone to do a royal lunch
    • Troll volunteers also
    • Interested? Text her on FB

Non-SCA Business

  • none

The business meeting was closed @ 2022

The next business meeting will be held on 06 July 2022, 1930, Zoom Meeting.