South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

02 February 2022, Time: 1930

Notes submitted by Signora Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Lady Agnes Halydaye called the February meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich, greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Nikoslav read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Seneschal, (Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich)

  • Applications for Baronial Seneschal still open
  • WIll be making a post to announce taking bids for Red Tower on Sep 18th.
  • Will be making a post to announce taking bids for Royal University of Meridies as KLE bid for the year. 
  • Process of looking for an in person location for meetings is beginning. Aiming for potential physical meetings to begin in the summer

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Please send word any heraldry-related research or projects you may be working on. Our quarterly report is due soon.
  • Still in need of a deputy

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • Regional practice this Sunday at the covered pavilion in Carrollton. Requesting $300 for an annual marshal budget to cover the cost to reserve for Sunday following MWAS going forward.
  • Inventory & hand-off of heavy loaner gear to Deputy KM to take place later this month.
  • Upcoming practice considerations:
    • This time of year practice is weather permitting; be aware last-minute cancellations may happen.  Vaccination cards or negative COVID tests, and contact tracing info is still required.  Masks are again required unless actively eating, drinking, or fighting.  Please be respectful of others and maintain social distance.
  • 2/6/2022 – Regional Practice tentatively at pavilion in Carrollton (back up is Liane Levetan)
  • 2/13/2022 – Practice
  • 2/20/2022 – Practice depends on Marshal coverage (Panhandle weekend)
  • 2/27/2022 – Practice depends on Marshal coverage (MCA weekend)
  • 3/6/2022 – Practice
  • 3/13/2022 – Practice depends on Marshal coverage (Gulf Wars)
  • 3/20/2022 – Practice depends on Marshal coverage (Gulf Wars)
  • 3/27/2022 – Practice

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • There were some practices before and after the 2-week hiatus.  Sparsely attended, but there we were.
  • Please note the updates from Kingdom about COVID policy.  
    • Masks are no longer required for outdoor events (including practices).  
    • In Georgia, we CAN and DO require proof of full vaccination or proof of negative Covid test for EVERY event. We also CAN and DO require masks indoors in accordance with Kingdom policy.
  • Just to get this in the minutes…. I could really use a deputy, who would actually take over the office at some point.  Interested in becoming a rapier marshal, and/or signing on as my deputy/replacement, please contact me or M. Nikoslav.
  • Thanks to Ld. Marco from Arenal who has agreed to be our Celebrity Guest Rapier Marshal for the regional practice, as I will be unavailable (family obligations).
  • I will also be unavailable on 2/20.  If there is a warranted rapier marshal available for that day, I’d be obliged.
  • All rapier and rapier-adjacent folks are encouraged to attend the greatest rapier event in the Knowne World, Meridian Challenge of Arms, on the weekend of 2/25-27.  Early sign up for the tournaments was posted a few minutes ago.
  • Februrary 27, I’ll be returning from MCA, so I probably won’t be available to operate that Sunday’s practice.

Live Weapons (Master Mathias Blackett)

  • Master Mathias Blackett (mka Ben Coffee) is taking over as Live Weapons marshal.
  • Lord Conner O’Dell (mka Shawn Mullen) remains in the deputy position.
  • Archery practices will start back this month at a new location in Austell, Feb 13th. The location belongs to the sister of Roìs O’Shannon (mka Tierza Coffee). The address will be sent to those interested.
  • I intend to include Thrown Weapons (axes, knives, and spears) at these new practices and will need to purchase some loaner gear.
  • Masks are no longer required while archers are on the line.

Reeve (La Onesta Signore Justina di Silvestri)

  • Q4 2021 Doomsday report was completed
  • Bank statement as of Dec 2021: $11,248.52
    • Minus pending checks: $10, 928.52
  • The Financial Committee met 1/31/22 to discuss the Annual Budget. Also discussed are the in-process financial policy update/reformat and baronial inventory. This is something we will do annually moving forward, per kingdom financial policy.
  • In Q4 2022, we will meet again to discuss the 2023 budget and have another approval vote by the barony at the December 2022 business meeting.
    • Projected Storage $349/mo x 12= $4188/yr
    • Meeting space: If we were to have ½ year of in-person meetings later this year, at our previous meeting rate,  $50/meeting at previous meeting space x 25 weeks= $1250 (half-year). This is added as something to consider and have a dedicated fund just in case.
    • Knight Martial:$300 – this was already approved via vote last month for the regional practice pavilion 
    • Rapier Martial-  $100, projected while the budget for repairs is estimated. 
    • Live Weapons Martial- $300 Estimated, notes: Thrown Weapons loaner gear. Axes: $25 for 3 at Harbor Freight; Knives: $40  plus tax, S&H (~$12) from Cold Steel for 3 Mini Flight Sport throwing knives; Spears: $60 for 3; New loaner arrows: $110 for 3 dozen arrows, plus shipping and handling.
      • Note this does not include event expenses for targets, so when it comes time to bid for CW and RT, we need to keep in mind the cost of target essentials. Wood for 2 new target stands (For RT & CW): $64 each. Conner has a target we can use for practice until it needs replacing. Caution tape: $10 Orange marking spray: $15- in event bid estimate $200~ supplies
    • Exchequer- requesting a one-time supplies/budget request of $350 for 2022 (will not be a recurrent budget) NEED: $Check refill. The cost is $112.35 for 252. This should include delivery. 
      • New Checkbook Binder:  $25+;  7 x 3-Ring binders to keep physical receipts and misc paperwork per year. 2” heavy-duty est $8/ea $60;  Sheet Protectors $10;  Stamps $25.  
    • So to look at the numbers, we would have  $6,488 dedicated funds out of $10, 928.52, leaving $4,440.52 in the “general” fund.
  • Projected Income:
    • Midwinter- $150, note this went virtual so we will have no expenses, I received a check for the sca-rs reservations placed and I need to write refund checks to those who requested refunds, so this number TBD until I do the report this weekend.  
    • Red Tower 2500 & Castle 4000, are low estimations for event profits.
  • Starting this year, I’m keeping records of Checks and Purchase requests via forms, so if you have any fund requisitions, keep an eye out for the new forms available soon or reach out to me.  
  • And as your monthly reminder…No personal purchases on any baronial purchase receipts!

    BaronyPurchaseRequestform12-9-21 Barony Check Request_1-6-22 SD2022AnnualBudget_02-02-2022-1-1

Quartermaster (THL Isabetta de San Marco

  • We have stuff.

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz)

  • Lord Nikon officially passed the Chatelaine to Lord Ogata. 

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • On hold due to my health. Hopefully, we will be able to have one in spring.

Arts & Sciences (HE Rhiannon verch Madyn)

  • I want to encourage everyone to list their current A&S activities on the Baronial spreadsheet. The report is due later this month and I would love to have South Downs shine. Activities would include prepping for a class you’re teaching at Midwinter. If there’s an issue accessing the spreadsheet let me know.
  • The 100 days challenge will be up and running in the next week or so. Life got ahead of Alisandre and myself but I’m putting it all together now.

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • The class this month will be Organizing and Using Your Research with THNoble Rebecca Whieldon Pyke via Zoom. Many thanks to them for offering to teach this month!  They will be teaching this as well as their Starting with Research class at Midwinter this weekend as well.
  • Speaking of Midwinter, we’ve got a full schedule of classes planned, so come out and learn something new this weekend! Many thanks to those who are volunteering their time for our event!
  • Still looking for classes for the monthly Baronial class nights, so please reach out to me if you’d be interested! No class scheduled for March yet but it could be your class!
  • Lastly, I’m pleased to announce that Lord Ælfric Hort is now Deputy Provost! Please give him all the wonderful South Downs support you’ve given me! He’ll be on track to take over the position around the next Midwinter.

Chronicler (Signora Aelia Bassina)

  • Still looking for a deputy!

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr & Lady Agnes Halydaye

  • Nothing to report for Social media. We’re having midwinter virtually- links to the zoom will be posted in the midwinter event.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai & Lily of South Downs)

  • We had a really great conversation last month about what we are going to do for DEI moving forward. Lily and I, but she has mentioned that she would like to try again for the Extra European class. We are going to do that class in February.
  • I figured out how to add auto-generated subtitles to premiere pro! Please reach out to me and I can help you with adding subtitles to videos.
  • As always, if you have any questions or need advice about anything, please let us know.

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna)

  • Nothing to report

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing to report.

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • We are looking forward to the event and classes, along with court. If you were summoned, please attend if at all possible.

SCA Business

  • Ximon
    • Midwinter is on track. We have classes and regional practice.
    • I want to give a big thank you to Ceong Myeong Su, she is a champ and super organized. 
    • I want to thank everyone that wanted to be a teacher.
    • Thank you to Mathias for the bard competition.
    • Mairghgread: Are you needing Zoom mods?
      • Yes!
    • We do need more zoom mods for open socials.
    • Margavati will be running a salon
    • Court is scheduled to start at 6pm, or at their whim. 
    • Homecoming will happen after court.
  • Ogata
    • I just wanted to check in with the new people to make sure they are having a good time!

The business meeting was closed @ 2023.

The next business meeting will be held on 02 March 2022, 1930, Zoom Meeting.