South Downs Baronial Business Meeting

03 November 2021, Time: 1932

Notes submitted by Signora Aelia Bassina, South Downs Chronicler.

Lady Bú Feiyan called the August meeting to order. Our Seneschal, Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich , greeted the populace joining the Zoom meeting. Nikoslav read the Kingdom Anti-Bullying statement.

Officers Reports

Seneschal, (Master Nikoslav Mikolaevich)

  • We need bids for Midwinter.
  • We have talked about resuming in-person meetings in 2022. That will depend on the availability of the Doraville location and our money.
  • We do need deputies for some of our officers. 
  • Castle Wars is pre-reg only
    • For set up and take down, many hands make light work.

Herald (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Look for a deputy. 
  • We need shouty people for Castle Wars.

Knight Marshal (Lady Mairghread Wilson)

  • Proof of vaccination (2nd shot – no later than 2 wks prior) or Negative Covid test w/in 72 hrs (Dated no earlier than noon on Thursday the week of).  This applies to fighters as well as spectators.  Please sign up in the Sign Up Genius to make reporting contact tracing rosters to the Kingdom each week easier on your marshals.
  • Event is defined in Corpora as any official SCA activity (Event, Demo, Practice, Mtg, etc)
  • Masks are still required for now.
  • Upcoming practice considerations:
    • 11/7/2021 – Conjuration – Possible demo? – rumored that 1/2 the rooms normally used for vendor space are under construction
    • 11/14/2021 – Crown Lyst – No practice unless other Marshal coverage
    • 11/21/2021 – Castle Wars – NO practice
    • 11/28/2021 – Thxgiving – Practice if desired

Rapier Marshal (Captain Brendan de Hay)

  • Practices have been happening, and there has been a rapier presence most weeks.
  • The Rapier Marshal in Training (RMiT) program has re-started.  If you are interested in becoming a Rapier Marshal, contact the Kingdom Rapier Marshal (KRM).  There is a class, and you must assist in the marshaling of several events and/or practices to be warranted as a “Marshal At Large.”  A Marshal at Large can act as Rapier Marshal in Charge of events, demos, practices, etc.
  • This is near and dear to my heart because I can’t always be available for every practice or event.  The more warranted rapier marshals we have available, the more flexible we can be.  Also, I could use a deputy with an eye for replacing me in this position at some future date.
  • A reminder of current KRM policy…. It is requested that each of us take a “re-authorization” real soon.  It can be as simple as taking a few passes with an experienced fencer from outside our regular circle and follow up with fresh paperwork.  This will help move forward the goal of creating a digital authorization card.
  • I will be unavailable for this Sunday’s practice.  Is there a warranted rapier marshal who can cover for me?
  • The city of Dunwoody has added power outlets on the edge of our practice field.  I’m working on a lighting package that will allow us to restore Tuesday evening practices.  My hope is for a test run on Tuesday, 11/23.
  • My focus now is on Castle Wars:  Open for Business
    • If possible, any authorizations or refresher authorizations should be done before the event or on Friday, because Saturday will be packed
    • Anyone currently enrolled in the Rapier Marshal in Training program can get some of their warranting requirements fulfilled at this event, contact me
    • Saturday schedule starts at 0800 in an attempt to start Their Majesties’ Champions tournaments on time.
    • The afternoon rapier activities will be pretty intensive, but there will be space for pickups, training, and further authorizations, PENDING THE AVAILABILITY OF MARSHALS

Live Weapons (Mistress Mara Palmer)

  • Practice is still on hold for right now
  • I need target stands for Castle Wars. We are building three more right now. It’s costing $130. Things aren’t cheap right now. $200 should be enough to get live weapons back up and running with everything we need. 

Reeve (Mistress Alessandra Giovanna Fioravanti & La Onesta Signore Justina di Silvestri)

  • We are in the process of switching over signatures for the bank
  • We do have money. As of the end of the month, we have $7,745.76
  • Just remember that if you make any purchases that need to be reimbursed, please make them separate from your personal purchases.

Quartermaster (Master Ximon Martillo de Cordoba

  • We have stuff!
  • I would like for Isabetta to take over for me and I will be her deputy.
  • It was decided to get a tube for the baronial pavilion. Wistric has it and will check to ensure that it is big enough.
  • On Saturday, Lady Agnes has asked to view things for the Royal Luncheon. If anyone else needs access, please let me know. 
  • We need a few things:
    • Index Cards
    • In the Baronial Feast gear, we are missing blue goblets
    • We need new parking signs
    • When Isabetta takes over, there will be a new way to sign things in and out.

Chatelaine (Lord Nikon Dawidowicz)

  • Nothing new to report

Demo Deputy (Lady Bú Feiyan)

  • Nothing to report

Arts & Sciences (THL Alisandre de la Chapelle)

  • Nothing to report

Provost (Daegam Soong Myeong-Su)

  • Class this month is Site Heraldry with Baron Kalbardr

Chronicler (Signora Aelia Bassina)

  • Still looking for a deputy. Please let me know if anyone is interested.

Social Media Minister (Lady Isabella Parr

  • Made castle wars facebook event. 
  • We held a steady 3% Facebook page growth and had 6 new people join the FB group. 
  • Nothing to report about Instagram or Twitter accounts 
  • Also, I got a deputy! Lady Agnes Halydaye

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (DEI), (Vidushi Mewadi Margavati Bai & Lily of South Downs)

  • The class this month will be on Extra-European Scribal Arts.
  • It is a panel of artisans discussing their various fields of focus, hosted by Lady Lily, South Downs DEI deputy. It will be during the third Wednesday meeting, at 7:00 pm on November 17th. Zoom details will be posted the day of the event on the South Downs Facebook page.
  • The survey for feedback on DEI has been extended for an extra month! I will be closing it the evening of the November DEI meeting. So if you haven’t done so, please fill it out. The form can be found here:

Webminister (Lady Zhelana Vovkivna & HE Piers Simmons)

  • Various Castle Wars updates
  • Updated all of the plugins

Minister of Children (Lady Una Ulfrdottir)

  • Nothing report

Their Excellencies, (Master Wistric Oftun & Mistress Sunneva de Cleia)

  • As usual, I love you guys. You are the best barony.
  • Wistric and I went to Gatalop and it was really nice to see people and see people wearing masks and being safe. 
  • We need award recommendations
    • Message me, message Wistric and we can take care of it. This goes for Kingdom awards as well!

SCA Business

  • Castle Wars
    • THURSDAY 11/18
      • 3:00 pm EDT- Site opens to event participants for set up of camps and help needed for any other event things. There are no scheduled activities.
      • PLEASE NOTE:
      • **TROLL CLOSES at 11:00 pm EDT, no one is allowed access into the site after this time.**
    • FRIDAY 11/19
      • 12:00 noon EDT- TROLL / Covid check-in opens
      • 12:00 noon EDT- Main field open for pickups and any needed authorizations will start
      • OPEN TIME – If Castle Walls are on site, we will have a setup party
      • 5:00 pm EDT to 11:00 pm EDT – Fighter’s open mixer. (maybe a possible team torchlight tourney?) This is a chance for
      • fighters to get warmed up for championship tournaments on Saturday and for everyone be social. (Please mask up and practice social distancing when not fighting)
      • PLEASE NOTE:
      • **TROLL CLOSES at 11:00 pm EDT, no one is allowed access into site after this time. **
    • SATURDAY 11/20
    • **Please listen for announcements for Arts and Sciences classes and other activities.**
    • 8:30 am- 9:30 AM EDT – “Coffee with the Crown” (bring your coffee, your chair and chat with their Majesties )
    • 12:00 NOON EDT- Lunch break and COURT OPENS
    • 30 MINS AFTER COURT – Melee scenarios will begin.
    • Non-Martial activities WILL COMMENCE! Please have fun and celebrate responsibly!
    • Marshal in Charge (Reporting Marshal):  Ldy Mairghread Wilson (Charmone Newell)
    • Add’l Marshals:  Sir William Colquitt (William Jackson) & Sir Vasilii Dragomere (Wes Babb)
      • Lyst Mistress:  Ailleghean (Rachel Strange)
      • Fri:
        • Field & castle set up, inspections & authorizations, pick-up fights
  • Sat:
    • 0800-0900 Armor Inspections 
    • 0900-1200 Champion Tourneys
    • 1200 Court/Lunch
    • 30 mins after court until sundown (5 pm-ish) – Melee Scenarios
      • Field (non-rez)
      • Bridge (non-rez)
      • Castle (limited rez)
  • Both Archery & Thrown will only be open on Saturday, 11/20.
    • *I will be arriving by 8 am. If the range is set up sooner than 9 am, then we will start sooner than 9 am.
    • Nathri Mac Conaill is running Thrown.
      • 9-11 am: Queen’s Yeoman
      • 10-11 am: Youth Live Weapons Champion
      • Post-Court: South Downs Baronial Champion, Open Range
    • THROWN
      • 9-11 am: King’s Huntsman
      • Post-Court: Open Range
      • More details TBA once I have them.
  • Sunday, we have to be off-site by noon. When things start wrapping up on Saturday if you could help break things down that would be great.
  • Midwinter
    • If you’re potentially interested in putting in a bid, please let me or Nik know.
    • If you think that an indoor event isn’t a good idea, we can talk about looking at outdoor space.
    • If you need help with the bid form, let us know.

The business meeting was closed @ 2051.

The next business meeting will be held on 01 December 2021, 1930, Zoom Meeting.